Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
I must be in the wrong time zone.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    607.9 KB · Views: 114

AtomicEdge

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2009
I look forward to this being built into Google translate.

I assume the reason for this purchase is so they can add it into Google Glass.

a69

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2014
I just tried it. Fancy piece of technology demonstration, but not sure how it will fit for everyday use. And yes, this app has meant for something like Glass long before Google glass existed (at least officially).

I personally prefer more streamlined applications, my favorites being itranslate4.eu and the ones @ www.offline-translator.com

Microsoft also have similar, but not so spectacular translation tool for Windows Phone. Apple is clearly draggin' their feet in this area.

a69

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2014
Google Translate does not work offline.

It works on Android, but the translation quality in offline mode is not good, and a language pack you need to download is from 100 to 200 MB per language, which is just too much.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Well, I literally found this app JUST at the tail end of a Mediterranean cruise where I visited different cities in France, Italy, Turkey, Greece, and Spain. If only they had made this announcement a week sooner, my cruise could have been that much more fun!

I know smatterings of French and Spanish and was able to figure out a little bit of Italian with a little bit of ingenuity and the help of a phrasebook. So technically, this app was a little redundant. And yeah, it doesn't always work and it is a little hokey. But wow, the concept is cool.

My best use for it was at the El Corte Ingles supermarket in Barcelona a few days ago. I was looking for a sandwich and couldn't quite figure out what filling was what. Whipped out the app and AHA, I could (mostly) read all the food labels. The other English-speaking man shopping for his lunch was blown away.

Would have been even more useful if it could handle Greek or Turkish, though...

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Well, I literally found this app JUST at the tail end of a Mediterranean cruise where I visited different cities in France, Italy, Turkey, Greece, and Spain. If only they had made this announcement a week sooner, my cruise could have been that much more fun!

I know smatterings of French and Spanish and was able to figure out a little bit of Italian with a little bit of ingenuity and the help of a phrasebook. So technically, this app was a little redundant. And yeah, it doesn't always work and it is a little hokey. But wow, the concept is cool.

My best use for it was at the El Corte Ingles supermarket in Barcelona a few days ago. I was looking for a sandwich and couldn't quite figure out what filling was what. Whipped out the app and AHA, I could (mostly) read all the food labels. The other English-speaking man shopping for his lunch was blown away.

Would have been even more useful if it could handle Greek or Turkish, though...

Our travel last year was in Italy, Greece, Turkey and Croatia, so I had use of it only in the one country (bought the module before we left). It sure would have been nice if they'd had modules for Greek, Turkish and Croatian (especially Greek). I would like to have tried them, though in reality it isn't difficult to get by with English in most of these tourist destinations. Still, this is infant technology. Great wow factor, but not much actual practical value.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
Great App idea, very useful if it wasn't for the terrible translations it makes. Hopefully now that Google bought it, it will work better once it integrates with their own translator.

DrWeevil

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2009
When I try to download the language packs from within the app for free, I get an in-app purchase error saying that there was an error purchasing the item. Anyone else having the same problem?

Had the same problem. Figured it out: Delete the app. Reset iPhone by holding the Home and Power button down until it turns off and cycles back on with the apple Logo. Reinstall the app and then you should be able to download the language packs. UNLESS YOU RESET IT, SIMPLY DELETING AND REINSTALLING THE APP WILL NOT WORK. It didn't for me anyways.

Cheers

mahalobagel

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2009
Word Lens ...

I just tried it. Fancy piece of technology demonstration, but not sure how it will fit for everyday use. And yes, this app has meant for something like Glass long before Google glass existed (at least officially).

I personally prefer more streamlined applications, my favorites being itranslate4.eu and the ones @ www.offline-translator.com

Microsoft also have similar, but not so spectacular translation tool for Windows Phone. Apple is clearly draggin' their feet in this area.

Yeah it's a great idea. I've had it for years also, back when it was only Spanish.
The practical application for this is truly bananas ... really.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.