Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Apple today announced that Google CEO Eric Schmidt has resigned from Apple's Board of Directors due to increasing competition between the two companies and its impact on his effectiveness as an Apple Board member.
"Eric has been an excellent Board member for Apple, investing his valuable time, talent, passion and wisdom to help make Apple successful," said Steve Jobs, Apple's CEO. "Unfortunately, as Google enters more of Apple's core businesses, with Android and now Chrome OS, Eric's effectiveness as an Apple Board member will be significantly diminished, since he will have to recuse himself from even larger portions of our meetings due to potential conflicts of interest. Therefore, we have mutually decided that now is the right time for Eric to resign his position on Apple's Board."
Following Google's announcement of Chrome OS last month, Schmidt acknowledged that he would discuss the future of his role with Apple. Even before the Chrome OS announcement, the U.S Federal Trade Commission had begun taking an interest in the apparent close ties between Apple and Google. At that time, both Schmidt and former Genentech CEO Arthur Levinson held positions on both companies' Boards of Directors. Levinson continues to hold Board positions with both companies.

Article Link: Google CEO Eric Schmidt Resigns From Apple Board of Directors

Unspoken Demise

macrumors 68040
Apr 16, 2009
>9,000
Something doesnt feel right about this.
On paper, leaving because it doesnt make sense to have him, seeing the apparent C.o.I., makes sense, but I think there may be more to this.

Comment

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I read this today elsewhere and I found it odd that he "resigned" when just on May 8, 2009 he was slated to stick around. I'm fairly confident that resign is still a fancy corporate word for "we pushed the guy out after he did ...". :cool:

I guess you don't take having GV turned down and then turned into a veritable **** storm for Apple lightly.

Comment
And now the real fun and games begin. Kid gloves are all the way off, gauntlet cast down, curtain raised, "To Arms" has been sounded.

Google wishes to supplant Apple. Apple will fight, and a titanic struggle it will be.

The loser of this war will be Microsoft -- Apple and Google will now attempt to out-innovate each other, and moribund MS will be eclipsed.

We are fortunate to have a real-life model of the Origin Of Species playing out in front of us.

Comment

distortedloop

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
No doubt he was asked to leave by Jobs and company.

Google's gotten a bit too close for comfort to Apple in terms of competitive products and services it seems. Whether it was Apple, Google, or fear of FCC/Congressional investigations into the whole relationship between Apple, AT&T and Google, we may never know.

Comment

Michael73

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2007
There's probably no shortage of other people who want to take his position but depending on his true level of input, he probably did a lot of good. That said, the quote from Steve was canned and lame and certainly crafted by Apple's PR department.

Comment

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
Sounds like Apple probably got sick of him trying to insert some logical sense into the precious Apple Knows Best Way™.

Mustn't have these freedom of choice for the users sorts of people interfering with the Apple bottom line. I wonder if that will prove ironic in the end.

Comment

VanMac

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2005
Rampaging Tokyo
I think it is a good move for everybody.

Competition between these two companies will be healthy, and this way there is no conflict of interests.

Comment

uberamd

macrumors 68030
May 26, 2009
Minnesota
Sounds like Apple probably got sick of him trying to insert some logical sense into the precious Apple Knows Best Way™.

Mustn't have these freedom of choice for the users sorts of people interfering with the Apple bottom line.

Do you have any basis for this or are you just making stuff up for no reason?

Comment

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
What we have here is a throwdown.

Fight Fight Fight !!!!

. . . a showdown! Hell no, I can't slow down, it's gonna go!

sie.jpg

Comment

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
The loser of this war will be Microsoft -- Apple and Google will now attempt to out-innovate each other, and moribund MS will be eclipsed.

Microsoft has enough money in the bank to buy EVERY startup company in the valley - and the only sort of innovation that you can expect from a corporation as big as Microsoft, Apple or Google is the purchase of innovative startup companies.

Microsoft owns the desktop, more than half of the server market and they also have well positioned embedded and mobile platforms and even one of the biggest game consoles. But more importantly, neither Google nor Apple are players in the corporate market, but Microsoft is huge in that lucrative segment.

No, Microsoft won't be eclipsed anytime soon.

Comment

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada

Mustn't have these freedom of choice for the users sorts of people interfering with the Apple bottom line. I wonder if that will prove ironic in the end.

Except that it looks like Apple DOES indeed know best, for a few years now, and they're putting the rest of the industry to school in the process.

If "freedom of choice" (whatever that means) was an actual problem with the Apple user base, we wouldn't see Apple products flying off shelves and the company virtually recession-proof.

Consumers vote with their wallets. And people are BUYING IN to the Apple ecosystem.

I'm surprised you don't understand the real benefits that accrue to the average user when they choose Apple, since you're on an Apple fansite and all. I'd expect such a myopic observation from someone on Neowin or Winsupsersite, not Macrumors.

Comment

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
^ Hey, I like Apple products plenty, I just think they are becoming increasingly controlling about things (google voice, for one thing) and I'm not particularly fond of that.

Yeah, it's called a guess, an opinion even - the internet is full of them.

Comment

Cask

Jul 14, 2008
And now the real fun and games begin. Kid gloves are all the way off, gauntlet cast down, curtain raised, "To Arms" has been sounded.

Google wishes to supplant Apple. Apple will fight, and a titanic struggle it will be.

We are fortunate to have a real-life model of the Origin Of Species playing out in front of us.

Oh yeah Microsoft is doing really bad these days huuh? Have you heard anything about Win 7, or even Bing?? Some people just have to bash Microsoft any chance they get.

Comment

slashjunior

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2007
It will be good for competition.

I think Apple has better chances in the long-term. People and investors put a lot of faith in Google to deliver big, but they never really deliver financially. AdSense still accounts for 99% of Google revenue. If people start leaving Google search in masses then Google will nose-dive. Everyone loves Google because it provides premium services for free. What happens when ad revenue dries up? Google sees a great new service, uses its massive cash pile to offer it for free and destroy the competition, similar to Microsoft bundling stuff in with Windows. If anything the reality distortion field surrounding Google is bigger than that of Apple. Everyone says how amazing Android is, then blame the HTC device. Google have yet to confirm any big names with the Android platform, unlike the iPhone which is a proven success. At least Apple backs up the hype with financials. Google is just a one-trick pony where everyone thinks that anything they touch will turn to gold.

Apple on the other hand are making healthy margins on all of their core businesses with Mac, iPhone and iPod. MobileMe isn't exactly a huge success but they are still probably making decent returns charging $99 for the privilege. Most of Apples new products bring back healthy margins, rather than the Web 2.0 approach of coming up with a popular free service which requires millions to keep going and then figure out how to make money out of it a few years later.

Comment

uberamd

macrumors 68030
May 26, 2009
Minnesota
^ Hey, I like Apple products plenty, I just think they are becoming increasingly controlling about things (google voice, for one thing) and I'm not particularly fond of that.

Yeah, it's called a guess, an opinion even - the internet is full of them.

Yeah but I wanted to know if he/she had examples that showed Apple doing what he said. Anyone can make stuff up on the internet, few people can actually support what they say with facts.

Comment
Oh yeah Microsoft is doing really bad these days huuh? Have you heard anything about Win 7, or even Bing?? Some people just have to bash Microsoft any chance they get.

Not a bash at all. Don't be so sensitive:)

It was merely my $.02. Apple is known for innovation, Google is trying mightily. Microsoft? Have you heard of Vista? Win7 isn't "out there" yet, whether or not it will take the horrible taste of Vista out of everyone's mouth has yet to be seen.

As for Bing... meh. You may have it, in all it's glory, I give it to you. There, you are the winner. Yay you.

Comment

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada

Not the best examples.

Comment

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
Yeah but I wanted to know if he/she had examples that showed Apple doing what he said. Anyone can make stuff up on the internet, few people can actually support what they say with facts.

No because I'm not on Apple's board (who are the only ones who know the real score here), but as far as I know it's still okay to give an opinion on the net. Lighten up!

Comment

whatever

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2001
South of Boston, MA
He was only a board member. In most companies the boards does absolutely nothing!

They are supposed to represent the shareholder, but often they do not (look at GM, if the board was actively involved don't you think they would have stepped in and made sweeping changes?).

However, being a Board Member does give you access to inside information, whether or not Apple allows this, I doubt it.

It's going to be nice in the coming months to short Googles stock, this is a company that just is not in the best interest of the enduser. With all of their money coming from one basket (ads) it will be interesting to see them attempt to make money from the "free" stuff. Giving away a free browser is one thing, but apps, OS and bandwidth is totality different.

I just find it funny that everyone hates MS so much when compared to Google....

And as far as the big companies buying the smaller companies, that is everyone's dream. To cash out with no strings attached. The fact that companies like Twitter and Facebook that have short shelf lives aren't doing this is sad, especially since there is nothing keeping their free loading patrons on board.

Comment

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I saw what was written by iBlue as opinion. No one knows the true reasoning behind the firing resignation, but it is speculative that it has a lot to do with recent events. You have no more basis to disprove reasoning anymore than she has for what she says. Thus ... welcome to the internet. ;)

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.