Google Chrome Coming in June

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by macfan881, Jan 9, 2009.

1. macfan881 macrumors 68020

From Cnet. Showing signs that it's working to meet requests for new developments to its Chrome browser, Google on Friday said it hopes to release versions for Mac OS X and Linux by the first half of the year, and it released a new version Wednesday that paves the way for the most requested feature: extensions.
    Google has high hopes for Chrome--in particular, the Internet giant wants better performance, so browsing the Web is faster and Web-based applications are more powerful. Now Google is filling in some missing pieces Chrome needs in order to attain wider usage.
    Brian Rakowski, Chrome's product manager, said the company wants to release Chrome for Mac and Linux before the first half of 2009 is up.

"That's what we've been hoping for," he said in an interview Friday. "Those two efforts proceeding in parallel. They're at the same level of progress."
    The Mac and Linux versions are up to the level of a basic "test shell" that can show Web pages. But a test shell is pretty raw.
    "That team now is able to render most Web pages pretty well. But in terms of the user experience, it's very basic," Rakowski said of the Mac version. "We have not spent any time building out features. We're still iterating on making it stable and getting the architecture right."
    In an unscientific CNET News survey from November, a Mac version was the second most common barrier to getting people to switch to Chrome, trailing only faster performance. Eager beavers can monitor Google's Chrome for Mac progress and install the Mac test shell.Showing signs that it's working to meet requests for new developments to its Chrome browser, Google on Friday said it hopes to release versions for Mac OS X and Linux by the first half of the year, and it released a new version Wednesday that paves the way for the most requested feature: extensions.
    Google has high hopes for Chrome--in particular, the Internet giant wants better performance, so browsing the Web is faster and Web-based applications are more powerful. Now Google is filling in some missing pieces Chrome needs in order to attain wider usage.
    Brian Rakowski, Chrome's product manager, said the company wants to release Chrome for Mac and Linux before the first half of 2009 is up.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17939_109-10138388-2.html?tag=newsLeadStoriesArea.1
    all i can say is finally ive been using chrome on bootcamp and love it when it comes out for mac it will be my new defult web browser

2. Mackan macrumors 65816

When Chrome for Windows came out, it was a matter of a few months before the OS X/Linux versions were finished. So much for that...

3. Iamtherealwoody macrumors 6502

Iamtherealwoody

That is disappointing. Damn you Google!!!! Guess I'll have to continue using FF.

4. theNEOone macrumors 6502

5. Iamtherealwoody macrumors 6502

Iamtherealwoody

Ya I was looking at that and I thought of compiling it for myself but I dont think the result will be what I expect. Im not that experienced in that area. Im gonna search for a how to, see if I can find info about it.

EDIT: After reading more on Chrome's dev page, it seems that at the moment they have the current build rendering pages but no UI. The UI will be out in Q1 of 09 but no sooner. But I believe it's gonna be written in Cocoa.

6. QueenZ macrumors 6502

QueenZ

I don't like Chrome, i think it sucks. It has a very crappy design and Firefox is just the best one i've come across so.. I don't think that Chrome will be a big hit..

7. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

Doesn't seem to have been the revolution in Windows that they were predicting either. I wonder if the Mac version will be a little more advanced bearing in mind its later release date?

8. petermcphee macrumors 6502a

petermcphee

I thought that FF was the end all, be all, but after using Chrome for a while on my windows work machine, I find that FF is more cluttered than I like it. Chrome is very streamlined, and with the addition of extensions, I think it will be a real winner.

FF is currently the best in town due to the ability to limit ads (Ad Block Plus, FTW!), and with this ability in Chrome, it will be irresistible.

9. spork183 macrumors 6502a

spork183

Of course the mac version will be more advanced. it on a mac... but for crying out loud, a June release date? In tech time, that's like waiting for the next ice age.

10. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

there is no release date, it may very well come before June, but that they want it out at the very latest by then.... a goal of sorts you know?

and i am looking forward to trying it, but that doesnt mean i will stay with it.

11. 01jamcon macrumors 6502a

01jamcon

No its not a revolution, but then again, gaining browser market share was never going to be an over-night thing was it? It takes forever to grow market share, even if your product is better. Its taken years of development and 3 major version of firefox to get it how far? Less than 30%. Safari's got about 10% including all the mobile safari on the touch devices. Google always knew this was going to be a little by little game, and slowly, with the release onto OSX and Linux, and probably mobile devices in future, they will slowly creep up as well. Shame that the worst browser is still the most used.

12. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

Interesting thing about FF is that it's actually growing in share. The worst browser is receding in use. I await the Chrome on the Mac to see how well it runs...

13. ltldrummerboy macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

Just another browser to put on my computer. No doubt it will come with the awful Google update daemon.

For anyone wanting a multi-process browser for their Mac right now, there's always Stainless.

14. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

15. KALLT macrumors 601

It seems to be a nice browser, but I'm not so comfortable with Google. I mean, when I allow them to run a software on my OS, what does this mean for my privacy? Google is 'famous' for their data collection. 8(

16. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

So what the frick is this exactly supposed to offer us that Safari and Firefox don't? A chance to help Google test out another piece of software in perpetual beta? A bunch of Web sites I visit already give me issues with either Firefox or Safari because they're not made by the almighty Windows Gods. What good does yet another different browser do?

Methinks if Google were to ever have a massive failing, the year when they ventured into phones and Web browsers would be it. Keep to the stuff you're good at, Google folks.

17. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Version 1 of Chrome is already out of beta.
    Chrome will be used and liked by many, it just needs time. Android is about to be the next big thing in mobile phones. This year will be big.

18. Prometheus2000 macrumors member

No way...

Nothing for me here, I always try to stay away from google software products, they are too greedy collecting your data.

I just don't trust them.

19. nacengineer macrumors member

True

I agree it sucks. Its standards compliance is in the 70's and it is indexing your info back to google. (yikes)

Seriously people if you want a standards compliant and fast browser go with the thing Chrome is built on... webkit. :D Its 100% acid3 compliant and is FAST. Otherwise sell your soul to Google.

20. scott523 macrumors 6502a

Awesome news! I look forward to it! At first I fell in love with Firefox. However, one day I had a change of heart after seeing the startup speed upon rebooting deteriorate due to its addons... compared to the addons in Safari (Glims+Adblock). Hopefully it'll work well and be like a bit of both Firefox and Safari. Long way to go for Chrome though like the other browsers though!

21. 2Shae macrumors 6502

I have they hurry up, because I like Chrome on Windows and even though I am a FireFox fan...it just doesn't feel right in OS X not even with a Safari theme. That's why I switched back to Safari (Webkit Nightly to be exact) yesterday. The Glims plugin for it makes it a lot better too.

22. masse macrumors 6502a

masse

It took me about 20 seconds using chrome to realize it was the best browser in the world. Firefox for mac is a hog and it runs really slowly and I cannot figure out why. Scrolling through web pages is painful. Could just be the 5 different macs I've used it on.

23. argos4000 macrumors member

Yeah! I can't wait for Chrome too! Tried it on Windows at my friend's house (Because I do not own a Windows machine currently-Sold mine when I bought my MacBook Pro) and it was awesome! Can't wait!

24. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

I'm not sure what's more embarrassing, that Google doesn't have a mac version, or that they didn't even attempt to make a mac version of a webkit-based browser to begin with. XD

I mean, they just made the windows version, let it sit on the shelf, and THEN decided gee.. we need a mac one!

How lame!

25. argos4000 macrumors member

Yup. I agree. Lol...