Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Google today announced plans to add experimental generative AI features to the latest version of Chrome for Mac (M121), helping users organize tabs, create themes, and draft content.

chrome-generative-ai.jpg

The Tab Organizer is able to suggest and create tab groups based on the tabs that are open, an option that can be accessed by right-clicking on a tab and choosing the Organize Similar Tabs option.

With a text-to-image diffusion model, Chrome users can generate custom themes based on a subject, mood, visual style, and color. The "Create with AI" theme option is available under the Customize Chrome side panel.

When writing something on the web, such as on a forum, Chrome will be able to help users generate content. The feature will let users right-click in any text box or field to access a "Help me write" option.

The Tab Organizer and theme creator will be coming to U.S. Chrome users over the next few days, while the writing assistant will be available in next month's Chrome update. The experimental features can be enabled in the Settings section of Chrome by clicking on the three-dot menu and navigating to the Experimental AI page.

Article Link: Google Chrome for Mac Gets Generative AI Features

coffeemilktea

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2022
I wonder if it'll actually be any good... Google always seems to be constantly behind on AI when compared to Microsoft/OpenAI. 🤔

(perhaps unsurprising if all the rumors about how disorganized their push into generative AI has been)

Reactions: Dj64Mk7 and rafark

thmsnt

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2023
Out of curiosity, does anyone know if Chrome on Mac supports the 120 Hz ProMotion on the modern MBPs? I think I tried it a while back and the scrolling was not as smooth as Safari.

Reactions: Surfer13134

Kylo83

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2020
I wish chrome had full pro motion support its not as smooth scrolling than safari but safari is allowing with bugs, I wish chrome also had compact url so puts tabs in url space

Kylo83

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2020
Out of curiosity, does anyone know if Chrome on Mac supports the 120 Hz ProMotion on the modern MBPs? I think I tried it a while back and the scrolling was not as smooth as Safari.
its like it does but not properly I dont use it because of that its not as smooth as safari

MagMan1979

macrumors regular
May 4, 2015
Google seems to be amazing at one thing... Putting **** into their already horrible software to continuously remind me why I won't let ANY Google garbage near my Apple gear! Thanks for the reminder Google, I'm glad to be Safari-exclusive with FireFox as my backup!

tomtad

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2015
"The Tab Organizer is able to suggest and create tab groups based on the tabs that are open, an option that can be accessed by right-clicking on a tab and choosing the Organize Similar Tabs option."

Say what you want about Chrome but this sounds genuinely useful

hardwickj

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2009
I did not use AI to generate the typical discussion going on within the walls of Google for the past 12 months:

Product Management: "AI! AI! We need to incorporate AI into our product!"
Engineers: "Ummm...sure. But what is the use case?"
Product Management: "It doesn't matter. We need to say we're using AI! Give me something...anything!"
Engineers: "Okkkayyyy....so like, a chat interface to discuss and refine search results for content on a page?"
Product Management: "No, that would mean interacting with the Search team, and we all know that integrating with Other Google Services (OGS) doesn't lead to promotion. We have to invent something entirely in-house, Services Hosted Internally by the Team (****). **** always floats to the top at Google!"
Unreliable Brown-nosing Engineer that the rest of the team has come to ignore but is hell-bent on moving into management: "Lets use AI to completely replace the user!"
Product Management: "GENIUS!"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.