Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPay

Suspended
May 25, 2023
„Fastly today announced it has entered into an agreement with Google to operate an Oblivious HTTP Relay (OHTTP Relay) as part of FLEDGE, the Privacy Sandbox initiative to improve privacy while continuing to support tailored advertising.
FLEDGE is a Privacy Sandbox proposal for remarketing and custom audience advertising use cases that is designed to choose relevant ads without allowing cross-site tracking.“
> the Privacy Sandbox initiative to improve privacy while continuing to support tailored advertising.
Made my day! Who said these weasels can't be funny?

Last edited:

MacHeritage

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2022
British Columbia, Canada
That's what advertising would have us believe.

View attachment 2359098
Back then, Steve Jobs was personally really picky about that very thing. If it didn't just work in any major way, Steve was all over it and chewed people up over it. He was all about things being the way they were advertised to the public. But he was a rare type of CEO that cared about detail compared to everyone else in tech from what I remember.

boswald

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2016
Florida
I still swear by Safari and NextDNS. I have Wipr installed too, but that’s just to cover whatever slips through the cracks.

Reactions: gleepskip

MacHeritage

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2022
British Columbia, Canada
It seems so. Very weird.

View attachment 2359095
Brave also helps with the look of Chrome's dominance since it looks like Chrome according to most web stats I use via first party (since Brace blocks all third party tracking).

There are now basically four engines too: Blink, WebKit, Quantum/Gecko and Goanna (used by Pale Moon). Full list can be found at Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_browser_engines

Chrome is the new IE, which engine wise is great but surveillance wise is another story.

iPay

Suspended
May 25, 2023

> Google Chrome Gains Real-Time URL Protection on Mac and iOS​

Title is a bit misleading or enthusiastic, because the only kind of protection we get is : "Let's send all your URLs to some misty, cloudy, er, targeted ad platform, so, you know, you are better, er, protected".

Reactions: snek and chrfr

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Nope, nope, nope, nope - this is why I avoid Chrome at all costs.
I wish I can but chrome on iOS can let some sites function while safari completely ****** them. Keep in mind I’m talking about iOS safari, which is absurd to see such discrepancies.
You don't trust Apple?
Why should I trust a megacorp? For what? They don’t give me money by virtue of me pledging trust To them.
NO Google software on all my devices. Safari and Firefox my primaries. Brave as a backup.
Nah, your device will likely have some sort of lesser know supportive software developed by google. Also chromium is a thing which has links to google.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
The Standard protection for Chrome previously used a list that is stored on device and updated every 30 to 60 minutes, but now websites will be checked against Google's server-side list of known bad sites in real time. Google says it expects to block 25 percent more phishing attempts with the change.
Oh wow… mind blowing improvements by switching to online real time checking against a larger database. Marketing team got an easy assignment this time. :rolleyes:
People still use Chrome? Weird.
Yeah, because, it works?
Having been CTO for one of the 500 largest web sites in the world, I would say it is more likely that people find comfort in accepting the propaganda they have been fed when it comes to be believing things are safe and their privacy is protected.
Cause almost any other option involves taking action to do research and understand the underlying issue themselves, which is infinitely worse than “just believe”.
It seems so. Very weird.

View attachment 2359095
Yeah how about those 60% some people just pick chrome because it works?
I use several big websites (shopify, eBay, amazon etc) during my work and safari performs the worst in terms of rendering speed, website functionality, stability and more.
Will it be possible to watch YouTube with an ad Blocker now on chrome? If I want to use. an ad blocker on safari, I have to browse YouTube in private mode. Otherwise I get a ” you’re violating YouTube terms of service by using an ad blocker“🍸🙀
Get A better adblocker.
No clue why when all browsers are fast and more secure than Chrome, but whatever.
Because chrome just works?
I don’t know what plugin (or combination of them) it is that’s working for me, but I’ve never once been affected by any of Google’s recent ad blocker shenanigans. It keeps catching everyone else out but I somehow keep slipping through the net!
You are the only one~ You are the chosen one~
I’m always amazed to see people buy iPhones and install Chrome on them. It’s like willingly installing spyware on your device. Why would you do that?
Uhh because they just want a browser that’s useable and familiar? Also technically speaking buying an iPhone is buying a spying hardware, so I don’t see adding one more hurts awful too much.

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Oh wow… mind blowing improvements by switching to online real time checking against a larger database. Marketing team got an easy assignment this time. :rolleyes:

Yeah, because, it works?

Cause almost any other option involves taking action to do research and understand the underlying issue themselves, which is infinitely worse than “just believe”.

Yeah how about those 60% some people just pick chrome because it works?
I use several big websites (shopify, eBay, amazon etc) during my work and safari performs the worst in terms of rendering speed, website functionality, stability and more.

Get A better adblocker.

Because chrome just works?

You are the only one~ You are the chosen one~

Uhh because they just want a browser that’s useable and familiar? Also technically speaking buying an iPhone is buying a spying hardware, so I don’t see adding one more hurts awful too much.
It works? Like literally every other browser that exists. lol.

Reactions: gleepskip
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.