Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

horace528

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 14, 2011
We all know that Google Chrome is the way to go with the Internet, unless you're a fan of Firefox. :D
I'm a big fan of Google Chrome too, but on the Mac with Google Chrome, recently, is very buggy. :(:eek:
Anyway, every time I try to search with the address bar, it does that very annoying beachball of death animation: http://bit.ly/Nsej7C, and after waiting a few seconds, it finally searches it in Google. Web sites are the same.
Also, when Google Chrome does not respond and I use the dock to force quit it, it just freezes my MBP, and causes me to do a hard shutdown. (Press and hold power button)
Is there like a way to fix these VERY annoying problems?:mad:

ScottNWDW

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
Orlando, Florida
Stick with Safari, I don't get what everyone's infatuation is with Google.

If you have a:
Mac or iOS, use Safari
Windows use Internet Explorer
Android use Google.

Sital

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2012
New England
We all know that Google Chrome is the way to go with the Internet, unless you're a fan of Firefox. :D
I'm a big fan of Google Chrome too, but on the Mac with Google Chrome, recently, is very buggy. :(:eek:
Anyway, every time I try to search with the address bar, it does that very annoying beachball of death animation: http://bit.ly/Nsej7C, and after waiting a few seconds, it finally searches it in Google. Web sites are the same.
Also, when Google Chrome does not respond and I use the dock to force quit it, it just freezes my MBP, and causes me to do a hard shutdown. (Press and hold power button)
Is there like a way to fix these VERY annoying problems?:mad:

From your post it seems that Chrome has worked fine for you in the past. So, has anything changed on your system recently? Did you upgrade to Mountain Lion? Update Chrome? Install any other programs?

Every browser has its own quirks/problems. Sometimes creating a new profile, resetting or uninstalling/reinstalling helps (depending on the browser). You just have to find the browser that works best for you and your set-up. And just because you're on the internet doesn't mean it's Chrome. ;)

jediistar

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2007
I stick with Safari, but I installed the Maxthon beta for OS X, it's written on the same code as Google, but doesn't have Google's crashing history. It also has flash so I jump to it whenever I need that.

NMF

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2011

If you have a:
Mac or iOS, use Safari
Everything else on the planet, use Chrome

Fixed that for you. Advocating the use of IE... UGH.

Anyway, to the OP: use Safari if you have Mountain Lion. If you don't have Mountain Lion, get Mountain Lion. Then use Safari. It's lightning quick now and the iOS syncing is really handy. There's no real reason to use Chrome on Macs anymore (exception: you sometimes use a PC and need to sync your tabs).

horace528

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 14, 2011
It's just probably my computer I think.. :(
I'll just stick with Safari then... :D

Dolorian

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
You can try uninstalling Chrome and deleting it's preferences and application support files in your Library folder. I have a friend who had some weird issues with Chrome and it was due (as far as I know) to his preference files. Once he deleted them and installed Chrome again, everything was working fine.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
I've enjoyed great performance from Chrome on my Macs.

Yet I don't see a need to declare any browser "the best". We all have preferences, so I say use what you like.

Sital

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2012
New England
And that's why Apple made the world's best browser, Safari. So you won't need to use Google's unstable app. Besides, Safari has wider integration with iCloud, Mac OS X and Multi-touch. I can't see a reason why Chrome is a better choice.

For some people Safari is not the world's best browser, not even close. Just because you can't see a reason to choose Chrome shouldn't matter, except to you.

Sital

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2012
New England
Okay then. Explain why Chrome is better.

[Beginning of thread sidetrack]

I didn't say it was. I don't use Chrome, I use Firefox. And, for me, Firefox is better because when using Safari's pop-up blocker there is no way to whitelist individual sites (which I need to do for some of my banking sites). If I want to use pop-up blocking I have to disable it on those sites and now the setting to do that is buried in Preferences.

Second, Firefox is better for me because Safari is very slow to load the thumbnails when searching on Google images.

Third, having done a side by side comparison of Firefox and Safari with the same extensions installed and loading the same sites, Firefox was slightly faster.

Safari 6 isn't a bad browser, in fact it's the best Safari version to date. It's just that Firefox does the things that matter to me better at the moment.

[End of thread sidetrack]

Dolorian

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
Doesn't Chrome track you? I don't use it for that reason.

You have the ability to turn on or off the "Send usage statistics to Goole" feature.

Aside from that it doesn't tracks you anymore than any other browser does. It stores your passwords, saves cookies, your history, auto fill data, etc. You also have the ability to use an incognito window if you would like to visit a page and leave absolutely nothing stored in the browser.

iHailCarlo

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2012
Always go native, Safari is superior. I still don't get why everyone is so taken with Chrome? I think its rubbish.

Dolorian

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
I think its rubbish.

I can understand preferring Safari but saying Chrome is rubbish is...well...rubbish.

As far as I see, most people in this forum tend to hate on Chrome for the mere fact that it is from Google. Hating Google seems to be the cool and "in" thing for Apple fans by the looks of it.

As far as specifics goes...

- Chrome has better support for modern web standards/technologies (HTML5/CSS3) than Safari does.

- Chrome currently has a better web inspector tool (same to the one Safari had but which they changed for the worst).

- Chrome enjoys better and wider selection of extensions and apps and a better way to manage them.

- The new download manager in Safari is awfully implemented, forced as it is into the toolbar, Chrome's is far better.

- The new view all tabs feature of Safari is actually less functional than Chrome's as it only let's you view one tab at a time while Chrome's works like Spaces, giving you an overview of all your open tabs and letting you quickly jump into the one you want, without having to slide several times to the sides in order to get to it.

- Interestingly enough, Apple, like Firefox before them, decided to follow suit and implement the unified address bar that the "rubbish" browser Chrome had implemented since the beginning.

- Design wise, Chrome is better as far as providing visual feedback to the user goes. Safari, for instance, has no favicons on it's tabs, making it harder for the user to quickly identify an open tab and switch to it. It is also lacking on a clear visual feedback for when a page is loading. The blue bar fills quickly but the page is still loading and all you have to know this is a little small "X" to the right of the address bar. The status bar at the bottom doesn't even says that anything is downloading.

In iOS, to put it mildly, Chrome eats mobile Safari for breakfast. Aside from the issue with the javascript engine and the inability to set it as your default browser (all of which is Apple's doing), in terms of functionality, ease of use, design and features Chrome is way better. Chrome doesn't just syncs all your bookmarks and history but also the open tabs you have on Chrome in your mac so that you can open them in iOS (and viceversa) preserving your back history and all.

You can open unlimited tabs, unlike Safari, can search in a page, unlike Safari, can access Chrome's preferences within the app, unlike Safari which forces you to exit the app and dig into system preferences, you can actually delete the cache WITHOUT deleting a bunch of other browser data, as Safari forces you to do, tabs management is faster and more intuitive Chrome, it allows you to open incognito tabs, etc.

I could say more but all in all it is quite easy to see why "everyone is so taken with Chrome". It is a darn good browser that is constantly updated and a joy to use. It strikes the happy medium between the customizability of Firefox and the simplicity of Safari and imo, does each better than both.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia

I use it because it doesn't suck. Also allows me to sync everything across iOS, OS X, Windows, Linux and Android.

----------

I could say more but all in all it is quite easy to see why "everyone is so taken with Chrome".

Don't forget the extension support under Chrome is much better than Safari...
:D

----------

Windows use Internet Explorer

You just lost all credibility...

horace528

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 14, 2011
Did I just start a flame war? :rolleyes:

----------

From your post it seems that Chrome has worked fine for you in the past. So, has anything changed on your system recently? Did you upgrade to Mountain Lion? Update Chrome? Install any other programs?

Every browser has its own quirks/problems. Sometimes creating a new profile, resetting or uninstalling/reinstalling helps (depending on the browser). You just have to find the browser that works best for you and your set-up. And just because you're on the internet doesn't mean it's Chrome. ;)

Oh yes, I used Chrome a lot, and I upgraded to OS X Mountain Lion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.