Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thebluepointe

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2011
Chrome has been my default browser for quite a while now, primarily because Firefox at the time was quite sluggish for me. I love Safari's speed, but Chrome has far more extensions that I find valuable and that tipped the scales.

I have never experienced any problems with chrome being buggy. If you are having issues, I would highly suggest looking at your extensions. If you don't have any extensions installed, then something else has gotten messed up. I use it on a Lion machine and a Snow Leopard machine and both are problem free. The only issues are occasionally with extensions, and that is not Chrome's fault.

If Safari gets a more lucrative extension program with competing levels of options, I'd love use it. Maybe I'll even give Firefox another try in the future. For now, I'm operating under the "if-it-aint-broke-dont-fix-it" methodology.

SprSynJn

Sep 15, 2011
Japan
I use it because it doesn't suck.

You just lost all credibility...

I'd say the same for you, mainly for of that first comment, but I'm not sure you had any to lose. :p

I've used Safari for as long as I've had my MacBook. I went with Chrome for a bit when Safari went through that period of being very sluggish. Once Apple updated it though, I went back. Chrome's not bad mind you, but Safari is definitely the best for me.

gorskiegangsta

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Stick with Safari, I don't get what everyone's infatuation is with Google.

If you have a:
Mac or iOS, use Safari
Windows use Internet Explorer
Android use Google.

One doesn't need to be infatuated with Google to be able to use their products (i.e. Chrome) in the same way one doesn't need to be infatuated with Apple to use their products.
Your advice to use the OS defaults is extremely hollow. Different users value different features more than others. Also, if you believe IE is the best browser option for Windows, you really need to try more browsers.

And that's why Apple made the world's best browser, Safari. So you won't need to use Google's unstable app. Besides, Safari has wider integration with iCloud, Mac OS X and Multi-touch. I can't see a reason why Chrome is a better choice.
Chrome is one of the most stable apps. Even the "canary" version, which is pretty much pre-alpha, seldom crashes. It may not be as well integrated into OS X, but in many ways Chrome is more stable than Safari, flash performance being one example. I think most Chrome users' number one reason for using it is the nice seamless interface, seamless updates and seamless content sync.

Okay then. Explain why Chrome is better.
Cleaner, more straightforward interface (detacheable/pinned tabs, unibar, etc..) bookmarks/open tabs/history/passwords sync between devices, automatic updates, sandboxed (i.e. more stable flash); built in PDF viewer; a great variety of extensions and web apps, some of which are quite powerful; etc..
All that being said, those features may mean a lot, or absolutely nothing to you. To me they do, and that's why I, along with many others, prefer Chrome.
Doesn't Chrome track you? I don't use it for that reason.
It doesn't track you anymore than any other browser. There's an option to send anonymous usage statistics which can be toggled in settings at any time.

Always go native, Safari is superior. I still don't get why everyone is so taken with Chrome? I think its rubbish.

Your statement is rubbish. :rolleyes:

There's no such thing as an inherently superior browser, especially when comparing among the well established players. It all comes down to personal preference.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
We all know that Google Chrome is the way to go with the Internet, unless you're a fan of Firefox. :D
I'm a big fan of Google Chrome too, but on the Mac with Google Chrome, recently, is very buggy. :(:eek:
Anyway, every time I try to search with the address bar, it does that very annoying beachball of death animation: http://bit.ly/Nsej7C, and after waiting a few seconds, it finally searches it in Google. Web sites are the same.
Also, when Google Chrome does not respond and I use the dock to force quit it, it just freezes my MBP, and causes me to do a hard shutdown. (Press and hold power button)
Is there like a way to fix these VERY annoying problems?:mad:

I use Chrome on Mac, PC, and mobile devices. No problems at all. Have you tried reinstalling it?

Stick with Safari, I don't get what everyone's infatuation is with Google.

If you have a:
Mac or iOS, use Safari
Windows use Internet Explorer
Android use Google.

You just lost all credibility. What a narrow mindset you have only to use the browser that is made by the company that made the OS. That actually made me laugh :D:rolleyes:

And that's why Apple made the world's best browser, Safari. So you won't need to use Google's unstable app. Besides, Safari has wider integration with iCloud, Mac OS X and Multi-touch. I can't see a reason why Chrome is a better choice.

SMH...wow just wow.

facepalm06.jpg

JTyler82

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2011
As a new Mac adopter, and coming from using Chrome on windows before the switch, I can attest that Chrome is a TAD slower on OSX but when I upgraded my ram (from 4-8), it doesn't seem to lag much anymore. I still like using safari because the great integration to my 4S, and points already bolded in this thread but I'm sure that if Chrome had those capabilities, I'd probably ditch Safari.

Bilalo

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2012
Oxford, England
Safari and chrome are practically 100% the same now just safari is faster, has cloud sync, more sharing options and a longer battery life... Atleast 1-2 hours.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
One of the major reasons I find Chrome to be so advantageous, are the plethora of highly efficient & time saving extensions. It's a matter of using some patience at first to wade through the vast number of both extensions & apps in order to discover the ones that appeal to you.

Yet that said I do find them well categorized & presented in the Chrome store. Now that I've spent some time discovering the ones that enhance my workflow, there's simply nothing more valuable to me.

Google has done a stellar job.

Bilalo

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2012
Oxford, England
One of the major reasons I find Chrome to be so advantageous, are the plethora of highly efficient & time saving extensions. It's a matter of using some patience at first to wade through the vast number of both extensions & apps in order to discover the ones that appeal to you.

Yet that said I do find them well categorized & presented in the Chrome store. Now that I've spent some time discovering the ones that enhance my workflow, there's simply nothing more valuable to me.

Google has done a stellar job.

Its safe to say 90% of people dont use the chrome store or whatsoever so unless they do like you, sfari is better.

Dolorian

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
Its safe to say 90% of people dont use the chrome store or whatsoever so unless they do like you, sfari is better.

Not really, Chrome is actually better than Safari out of the box. The extensions are just a nice plus.

NikkiJayne

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2012
England
I always found on Windows that Chrome was more stable than Safari. On OS X I'd say the differences are negligible but I stick with Chrome for the extensions like most here.

Rampant.A.I.

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2009
I haven't experienced any bugs in Chrome, especially with Adblock. Firefox became a slow-loading bloated bug-fest about a year ago, so I stopped using it. Opera still has terrible problems with video cache and playback. Safari just doesn't have enough addons to be usable.

OP, have you tried the standard stuff like clearing your cache, checking to see what addons are running, or maybe reinstalling Chrome?

Oldmanmac

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2012
Edmond, OK
Originally Posted by Oldmanmac
Doesn't Chrome track you? I don't use it for that reason.

Yes it does, but Google can track you in any browser.

That's nice!

Anyway, I use Safari & Firefox, just switching between them. I'd include Chrome in there to allow multiple searches, as needed.

chriscl

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2008
Stuttgart, Germany
same here, prefer it to Safari:cool:

Another Chrome fan here; I gave up with Firefox years ago for performance reasons, and when I first moved to a Mac was enamoured with Safari, but it got slower and slower and I saw more and more spinning beachballs...

I've been using Chrome for just over two years as my default browser on OS X and I'm very happy with it; the only extension I use is Ad-Block.

Major.Robto

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2012
Safari always bugs up and crashes for me.

I found chrome more stable and if something did go wrong a tab will crash but not the whole porgram

I noticed firefox to eat way to much ram for my lifking and I just dont like the UI, never knew why though

bartolomy

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2015
From your post it seems that Chrome has worked fine for you in the past. So, has anything changed on your system recently? Did you upgrade to Mountain Lion? Update Chrome? Install any other programs?

Every browser has its own quirks/problems. Sometimes creating a new profile, resetting or uninstalling/reinstalling helps (depending on the browser). You just have to find the browser that works best for you and your set-up. And just because you're on the internet doesn't mean it's Chrome. ;)

I have the same issues. My guess it is latest update of Chrome. It looks it is getting worse and worse every update. Maybe QA staff on the vacation now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.