Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Google released Chrome 71 earlier this week, but the latest version of the web browser still lacks support for Dark Mode on macOS Mojave. Fortunately, it appears that will change by early next year.

google-chrome-macos-mojave-2.jpg
Dark Mode in Canary, a developer build of Chrome

As mentioned on Reddit, a Google developer recently submitted a code change that implements system-level Dark Mode in Chromium, the open source web browser that serves as the foundation of Chrome. The code change passed the review process and will make its way into a future release of Chrome.

For those unaware, there are several different builds of Chrome that Google uses to slowly test and roll out new features. All code changes begin in Chromium and then work their way from Canary to Chrome Dev to Chrome Beta to Chrome, the stable version released to all users roughly every six weeks.

google-chrome-dark-mode-macos-mojave-1.jpg
Dark Mode in Canary, a developer build of Chrome

Dark Mode in Chromium remains hidden behind feature flags, which are essentially code-level toggle switches, but we were able to run a Terminal command to force the darker appearance into action and took screenshots.

The system-level Dark Mode applies a dark appearance to much of the Chrome interface, including the omnibox, tabs, menus, bookmark bar, status bar, and dialog boxes. The startup page with Google search and shortcuts will also have a black background when the Dark appearance is enabled in System Preferences.

Most of the current Dark Mode colors in Chromium are placeholders, according to one developer working on the project, so there may be slight changes to come. One challenge the developers face is ensuring that the Dark Mode is distinguishable from Chrome's private-browsing Incognito Mode, which is also dark.

canary-incognito.jpg
Incognito Mode in Canary, a developer build of Chrome

We're not entirely sure if Dark Mode will make the cut for Chrome 72, which has already been branched and will likely be released in mid-to-late January. Chrome 73 will likely follow in March, so it looks like early 2019 either way.

In the meantime, a variety of third-party dark themes are available for Chrome, but the omnibox always remains white since it is not allowed to be themed. Third-party dark themes are also available for websites such as Facebook, Google, YouTube, Gmail, Reddit, and Twitter to complete the experience.

Article Link: Google Chrome Will Support Dark Mode in macOS Mojave by Early 2019

Reactions: audiophilosophy

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
Dark mode could have been available since the launch of OS X 10.0 with skins extension. I remember the beta had the System 9 skins and was going to have the ability to customize OS X with skins and then they killed it off.
macOS still doesn't have that ability without modifying the system files or waiting for Apple to decide to do so in some future OS.

2ms

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2002
Why would anyone want to use Chrome on Mac? Genuinely curious. It's non-native so it's slower. But it used the same engine (WebKit). So what would be the advantage? I could understand on Windows it's an alternative to Explorer, but on Mac we have Safari and of course there's always Firefox as well. Really don't get it.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Think you got your tinfoil hat on too tight. Besides, I use it cause it “just works”. Can’t say the same about Safari.

A true tinfoil hat wearer would line the inside with something that doesn't hurt. When you mold tinfoil it gets sharp edges and can really hurt. Now the wifi waves can't penetrate my brain! Government will never know what I'm thinking. Ehehe :)

Chrome works but it is resource heavy. That and it's run by a company that makes $ off of what you do. I'm personally tired of companies that sell my personal data for $ so I've quit social media, Google, etc... Now, I do use Bing and Microsoft with Adguard - but not Cortana.

Do I think Google and Facebook are pure evil? Ok ok, not 100%. But close. :p

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
A true tinfoil hat wearer would line the inside with something that doesn't hurt. When you mold tinfoil it gets sharp edges and can really hurt. Now the wifi waves can't penetrate my brain! Government will never know what I'm thinking. Ehehe :)

Chrome works but it is resource heavy. That and it's run by a company that makes $ off of what you do. I'm personally tired of companies that sell my personal data for $ so I've quit social media, Google, etc... Now, I do use Bing and Microsoft with Adguard - but not Cortana.
If you want privacy and security, Firefox or Tor browser, without added extensions.

jmh600cbr

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2012
Hoping Apple trickles this to iOS in ‘19 and apps support it. Also hoping Apple lets it switch based on time of day like night shift.

Currently using flux to toggle it for me in Mojave

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
If you want privacy and security, Firefox or Tor browser, without added extensions.

It was painful enough to use Edge on Windows but I stuck with it for 8 months now. Safari on Mac is actually doable. But yeah, I think I'll give Firefox a try. Thanks! :)

Gen

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2008
Why would anyone want to use Chrome on Mac? Genuinely curious. It's non-native so it's slower. But it used the same engine (WebKit). So what would be the advantage? I could understand on Windows it's an alternative to Explorer, but on Mac we have Safari and of course there's always Firefox as well. Really don't get it.

extensions.

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
I use an extension called 'ChangeColors' on Chromium that when enabled lets me choose the background and text colors. For some odd reason, it no longer works in Chrome as of a few months ago, but it worked for the longest time.

I don't understand why it's such a foreign concept to so many UI/UX designers to not want to stare into a stark white screen all day and night.

It was painful enough to use Edge on Windows but I stuck with it for 8 months now. Safari on Mac is actually doable. But yeah, I think I'll give Firefox a try. Thanks! :)

Brave may be what you're looking for if you're after privacy. It's open-source and was founded by the former CEO of Mozilla.

Firefox has been losing the plot in terms of freedom as of late.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

zakarhino

Contributor
Sep 13, 2014
Anyone know how to differentiate incognito mode in safari when using dark mode?

The search bar is darker when using a private window:

Normal window:
89xPrLp.png

Private window:
1msjDMC.png

[doublepost=1544411518][/doublepost]Like I mentioned in another thread on here: Use Firefox and support Mozilla's efforts to build an open source and free browser. Firefox is as fast as Chrome and wayyyyy more secure. Whatever you do, don't install the Chrome botnet.

Reactions: meetajhu

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
The search bar is darker when using a private window:

Normal window:
89xPrLp.png

Private window:
1msjDMC.png

[doublepost=1544411518][/doublepost]Like I mentioned in another thread on here: Use Firefox and support Mozilla's efforts to build an open source and free browser. Firefox is as fast as Chrome and wayyyyy more secure. Whatever you do, don't install the Chrome botnet.

Speed is one thing, rendering websites correctly is another.

Reactions: imageWIS

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
Do you guys really think a company can be profitable and pay good programmers/designers when people only buy its laptops once every 8 years? It strikes me as interesting all the posts where people blast Apple for losing their business because their 8+ year old computer won't run the latest features.

I don't know. I paid a lot for my 2017 MBP and I plan on keeping it for 6 years at least. I kept my 2015 MBA for 3 years and when I got rid of it, it was perfectly capable. I've had Windows laptops and PCs all my life and I'm lucky to get 5 years out of them, even if I try (then again, all of them were sub $2k).

Most people were dealing with "cheap PCs" in their childhood or as young adults. They didn't have the experience of what good PC was. Your not-so-geeky dad bought you a $500 Windows PC to do your homework and school assignment, it did its job, but you were complaining that your PC wasn't fast enough because it couldn't play the latest game. Duh.

Out of college you find a work, start making your own money and have freedom to choose things. Then you buy your first Mac for $1K and find it faster and sleeker than the old, crap PC dad gave you. Your childhood memory tells your brain "Windows sucks big time" so you close the door and swear to only use Mac computers from then on. But then again, were you comparing fairly?

You might wanna compare $2K PC vs. $2K Mac and you'll find out so much more. After all, Mac is still a computer, it's not magical mainboard fall off from Asgard.
I have to say that Mac is a nice looking computer. But when it comes to repairability and upgradeability, it's one of the worst. If you're using computer for business and works, you might wanna use it for as long as it could for efficiency. Replace only what's necessary, not the whole assembly. And most PC could do that.

Have you watched a movie called "Searching"? Yeah beside the unique style of storytelling, I find the choice of computer props in the movie is interesting and spot on. Maybe a part of Apple's propaganda? Possibly.

Last edited:

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Ha, I ran it for about a week when Mojave first came out and then turned it off and literally forgot it existed. Not something I want to use regularly.

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
I’d go dark mode if MS ever brings it to their RDP client and Office 2019 - The Perpetual edition. Trillion supports it and all other apps I use are Apple ones. Fusion dark mode would be icing on the cake.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.