Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
You are kidding? Bing is hopeless and very, very few people outside of forums like this would have even of heard of DDG.
Apple just needs to make DDG its default search engine and spend some time promoting the service on its website and iPhone keynote and you will get people talking about it.

Reactions: kiancheong

grobik

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2006
Huh? Its the opposite of what you are saying. If it was not set as default, people wouldnt know how to change it and therefore would not be using Google if it is not the default option but thats what Google wants and pays for

I work technical support for these devices. The majority of people search google then go to google from the google search result then search what they’re looking for. Usually Facebook.com.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
Apple just needs to make DDG its default search engine and spend some time promoting the service on its website and iPhone keynote and you will get people talking about it.

So I could spend my whole time at work changing people's default search engines. Wooo. Not.

grobik

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2006
For that much scratch I’d want the option to make google the Siri search engine again. Bing is a **** pairing with Siri. It would at least give it some utility.

nwcs

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
Volunteering to sell your data to google. However, don't need Google to pay 3b and people are already willing to do that.
Hey, I'd rather have google pay me for my info than to voluntarily give it...
[doublepost=1502808576][/doublepost]
They do; their services are free for you to use, thus saving you both time and effort of going to the library. Effectively, they are paying you.:D
Lol, I don't use many of their services. Perhaps I should use up more of their resources to gain a better ROI on my info?

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
The search results are garbage and it doesn’t even show the hot articles or the news when you do a simple search like “iOS” . Microsoft has tried making Bing the default search many times but eventually people still Followed the convuluted process in IE and Edge to change it to Google and the same will happen wi5 Apple.

Google rules in search.nothing comes close.
[doublepost=1502809601][/doublepost]
I think this counters any argument that Apple is not all that different in making consumers the product :)
No they are not. You could effectively call it a bribe of sorts as Apple is called the messiah of privacy but throw in some $$$ and everything changes.

Apple. Google. Microsoft. They are all the same.

Tsuius

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2007
GTA
Instead of paying Apple $3 billion, how about the worlds # 1 malware maker (google) starts paying the users for clicking on their ads?

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
The search results are garbage and it doesn’t even show the hot articles or the news when you do a simple search like “iOS” . Microsoft has tried making Bing the default search many times but eventually people still Followed the convuluted process in IE and Edge to change it to Google and the same will happen wi5 Apple.

Google rules in search.nothing comes close.
[doublepost=1502809601][/doublepost]
No they are not. You could effectively call it a bribe of sorts as Apple is called the messiah of privacy but throw in some $$$ and everything changes.

Apple. Google. Microsoft. They are all the same.

You could effectively call it what it is. A smokescreen. Apple doesn't have a search engine. The use google and therefore sell their user base to google. But you agreed with my point in the end. All the companies are the same when it comes to data. Their privacy policies pretty much are an exact match. But somehow people argue Apple is "better."

Reactions: Radon87000
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.