Google Disables Malfunctioning Home Mini Feature That Could Cause Non-Stop Recording [Updated]

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 10, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Google recently disabled a feature included in its upcoming Google Home Mini smart speaker after a reviewer found that it was causing the device to record conversations and sounds even when no "OK Google" prompt word was spoken.

As detailed by Android Police's Artem Russakovskii, who received a Google Home Mini test unit last week, the device was malfunctioning due to an issue with the built-in touch panel designed to let Google Assistant be activated with a press instead of a voice command.

The Google Home Mini's touch mechanism was registering phantom touch events, causing it to continually record audio, which is not supposed to happen. Russakovskii discovered the problem after finding thousands of recordings in the Assistant section his My Activity portal on the web, where Assistant queries are stored.

[​IMG]

Google was alerted to the issue and collected his unit for testing, which led to the discovery of the faulty touch mechanism. The problem as described by Google:
    To fix the malfunctioning touch panel, Google released a firmware update for all Google Home Mini devices disabling the feature allowing Google Assistant to be activated with a long press. Google told Russakovskii a longer-term fix is in the works, but in the meantime, the press to activate feature will not be available when the Google Home Mini launches.
    When the issue was discovered, Google took it seriously and collected the faulty review unit within a matter of hours. An engineer worked over the weekend to figure out what was going on and the firmware update to remove the feature was available by Tuesday.

Introduced last week, the Google Home Mini speaker is priced at $49.99 and can be purchased from the Google website. Google Home Mini units are expected to begin shipping out to customers on October 18.

Update: Google has provided an updated statement on the situation Google Home Mini and has decided to permanently remove all top touch functionality from the device.
    Article Link: Google Disables Malfunctioning Home Mini Feature That Could Cause Non-Stop Recording [Updated]

2. miketcool macrumors 6502a

miketcool

3. Marshall73 macrumors 65816

Marshall73

I read this as “google caught with hand in the cookie jar”

Haha

4. ginkobiloba macrumors 6502

ginkobiloba

Google takes privacy seriously.
    Also, pink rabbits invade the Moon and discover it’s made of swiss cheese.

5. Tycho24 Suspended

Tycho24

Lol, I like how the title describes this as a “feature”, not a “bug”.

6. DNichter macrumors 68040

DNichter

7. Pakaku macrumors 68000

Pakaku

How on earth did Google manage to make me lose even less faith in them, christ almighty

8. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

I don't see why a small number of paranoid people are so needlessly worried about letting these sorts of the devices into their homes.

Incidentally, I think the NSA is doing a wonderful job keeping our country free, thanks to their hard-working, dedicated group of good looking agents!

9. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

10. kpeex macrumors member

kpeex

Next thing you know, someone will tell me there's gambling at Rick's.

11. jclo Editor

jclo

Staff Member

Well, it was an extra feature that was malfunctioning and had to be disabled.

12. miknos Suspended

miknos

Having a recording device in your home made by Google sounds a wonderful idea.

Even their wifi routers are sneaky. They send the MAC address of devices connected to Google "for service improvement".

13. Verita macrumors regular

Verita

Strange tin-foil people don't like our kool-aid...

14. JM macrumors 6502a

JM

I really wish Google wasn't in the business of collecting all the data they can on a person to sell it to for-profit companies. Google makes some pretty nifty things :(

15. djeeyore25 macrumors 6502

djeeyore25

Think I’ll buy one because it’s been ages since anyone listened to me for an extended amount of time.

16. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Jimmy James

17. SeattleMoose macrumors 65816

Google? Sucking up your information via stealth listening devices? Shocking! Completely out of character for a company that prides itself on customer privacy. ;)

18. now i see it macrumors 65816

If people thought the yahoo mail hack was bad, just sit back and enjoy the show a few years from now when we find out that every internet connected speaker on earth got hacked and everything that's was ever said by anyone owning one of these nightmare spying devices is now in the greasy hands of nefarious folks.

The day will come. You'll see.

19. jasie02 macrumors 6502a

jasie02

Google employee must enjoy all the bed time story.

20. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

It's a feature, not a bug.

21. jonnysods macrumors 603

jonnysods

I wonder how long it would take them to squish that "bug" if no one had noticed it...

22. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

the "bug" would go away once Google can no longer monetize from intruding into your privacy….

23. Analog Kid macrumors 601

Analog Kid

Enabled by collecting data on people... One sword, two edges.

24. zantafio macrumors member

That caused a huge disappointment over at Ft Meade, MD

25. WBRacing macrumors 6502a

WBRacing

Of course, if this was an Apple device this thread would look very different.
    There would be 23 posts pointing out that it was a test unit. :rolleyes: