Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrPilot

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 30, 2013
Hi!

Me again, just adding my two cents in regards to google drive.

Some of us might be using fluid 0.9.6 (I think) which is PPC compatible to access google drive with folder upload support. Some of you (or all of you) might also have discovered that the following times you install the java applet to enable folder upload it will show a "java installation failed" error.

So, What to do?

Well, it seems as if you download the latest webkit for leopard 537.56 from http://code.google.com/p/leopard-webkit/downloads/detail?name=WebKit-537.56-Leopard-PowerPC.dmg&can=2&q= , then you can go ahead and open the dmg, run the enable advanced features script, then replace your existing webkit by drag and dropping the app into the applications folder and drag yout roccat 3.6 into the "relink against" icon in the leopard for webkit dmg, it will create a NEW app in your app folder called "Roccat LepWK". Go ahead and remove the original roccat app and launch the modified roccat.

Now import your safari bookmarks (if you want) and go to google drive. Now enabling folder upload will work everytime :D

Cheers!

runeapple

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2010
Interesting, I will have to give that ago when I get home :)
I use Roccat anyway so may as well do this!

I assume everything functions just as well in LepWK version?

nicks80

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2017
Hi!

Me again, just adding my two cents in regards to google drive.

Some of us might be using fluid 0.9.6 (I think) which is PPC compatible to access google drive with folder upload support. Some of you (or all of you) might also have discovered that the following times you install the java applet to enable folder upload it will show a "java installation failed" error.

So, What to do?

Well, it seems as if you download the latest webkit for leopard 537.56 from http://code.google.com/p/leopard-we...me=WebKit-537.56-Leopard-PowerPC.dmg&can=2&q= , then you can go ahead and open the dmg, run the enable advanced features script, then replace your existing webkit by drag and dropping the app into the applications folder and drag yout roccat 3.6 into the "relink against" icon in the leopard for webkit dmg, it will create a NEW app in your app folder called "Roccat LepWK". Go ahead and remove the original roccat app and launch the modified roccat.

Now import your safari bookmarks (if you want) and go to google drive. Now enabling folder upload will work everytime :D

Cheers!

This is my first posting so NO flamers wanted. I currently use a 2010 MBP 17" 8GB 500SSD and external optical drive with 10.12 works great! This is not the issue. I have been holding onto the iBook G4 1.2 1.25GB with a SSD hybrid for the last 12+ years and have found some solutions for PPC people. I dont know if the above link for the webkit is the most "recent" version to run on a PPC G4 but I did find this https://sourceforge.net/p/leopard-webkit/wiki/Home/ which may also be beneficial (latest version still works!). The good news is you CAN ACCESS iCLOUD.COM on a PPC using this version. So if you need to access google drive and or icloud.com this WILL provide that solution!
I also use YouTube5 to help with video playback (still choppy)
But I have been able to now successfully access "most" websites that used to say you need a newer version now no longer applies.
iTunes and newer iPhones still do NOT work and its an older USB anyways so doesn't matter.
I Hope this information is helpful for anyone still in the PPC world or trying to make use of the older PPC machines. - thanks.

Reactions: macmee and bobesch

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
This is my first posting so NO flamers wanted.
You won't find any here. You replied to an older thread, but it's still in the PowerPC forums on MR.

I currently use a 2010 MBP 17" 8GB 500SSD and external optical drive with 10.12 works great! This is not the issue. I have been holding onto the iBook G4 1.2 1.25GB with a SSD hybrid for the last 12+ years and have found some solutions for PPC people. I dont know if the above link for the webkit is the most "recent" version to run on a PPC G4 but I did find this https://sourceforge.net/p/leopard-webkit/wiki/Home/ which may also be beneficial (latest version still works!). The good news is you CAN ACCESS iCLOUD.COM on a PPC using this version. So if you need to access google drive and or icloud.com this WILL provide that solution!
But I have been able to now successfully access "most" websites that used to say you need a newer version now no longer applies.
iTunes and newer iPhones still do NOT work and its an older USB anyways so doesn't matter.
I Hope this information is helpful for anyone still in the PPC world or trying to make use of the older PPC machines. - thanks.
I'm not sure what the latest version of Webkit is. I generally use TenFourFox and have been for years. I've never had any issues accessing iCloud.com.

That said, Google Play music broke about a year and a half ago in every browser I use. I might check back on your link tonight. If what you found does Google Drive I wonder if I could get away with Google Music again.

As to iTunes and iPhones…unless you are using an iPhone 4/4s with iOS 6 or an earlier model iPhone then that ship has sailed. Any iDevice that uses a lightning cable can never sync with a PowerPC Mac. Any 30-pin using iDevice that is running iOS 7 can not sync with a PowerPC Mac.

It's been that way since 2011 (lightning cable) and iOS 7. There are alternative methods but iTunes is dead to late model iDevices and PowerPC Mac.

Welcome to the PowerPC forums by the way.

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
This is my first posting so NO flamers wanted. I currently use a 2010 MBP 17" 8GB 500SSD and external optical drive with 10.12 works great! This is not the issue. I have been holding onto the iBook G4 1.2 1.25GB with a SSD hybrid for the last 12+ years and have found some solutions for PPC people. I dont know if the above link for the webkit is the most "recent" version to run on a PPC G4 but I did find this https://sourceforge.net/p/leopard-webkit/wiki/Home/ which may also be beneficial (latest version still works!). The good news is you CAN ACCESS iCLOUD.COM on a PPC using this version. So if you need to access google drive and or icloud.com this WILL provide that solution!

Hi,
it isn't long ago that I started as a newbie here too. And as eyoungren said before: wellcome to the PPC Forum!
Thanks for telling about the latest webkit. I allways forget to actively look for new versions...
No, unfortunately the newer iPhones don't sync with iTunes but I'm happy to use the "old" first version "iFiles" App to connect iPhone, Cloud-Services and intel&PPC-Macs. That App and the iPhone is my switchboard for all kind of files and purposes and it's ready for duty as soon as Mac and iPhone share the same network or if the Mac is connected to the iPhones Mobile Hotspot. That combination makes the best out of my PPC experience.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland

If you are using Leopard WebKit, then you might want to try out ClickToPlugin to get YouTube running smoothly. I wrote a guide about it here.

flatjuba

macrumors member
Dec 16, 2016
It's been that way since 2011 (lightning cable) and iOS 7. There are alternative methods but iTunes is dead to late model iDevices and PowerPC Mac.

Welcome to the PowerPC forums by the way.

May I know the alternative method? My other phone is still iPhone4 that has ability to grab anything from iCloud account. Perhaps, there's a way around it to make it work for the add book & iCal in my Powerbook G4.

Anyone here has a link for iFiles that I can use in my Powerbook G4?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
May I know the alternative method? My other phone is still iPhone4 that has ability to grab anything from iCloud account. Perhaps, there's a way around it to make it work for the add book & iCal in my Powerbook G4.

Phoneview For Mac.
iFunBox For PC.

I use a combination of being jailbroken, Dropbox, iFile (the jailbreak tweak) and Bridge/Bolt. The last two are jailbreak tweaks that can add any sound files I have to the appropriate locations and databases on the phone.

With my iPad, which is still on iOS 8.1, I can use Netatalk which is another jailbreak tweak, to load the iPad file system as a network share on my Mac. Makes it convenient to directly copy files back and forth.

For mail I use IMAP. Works on any device and keeps my mail synced between devices. For Contacts and Calendars I dropped iCloud a long time ago. I use Google. Which works on any device.

The only thing I use iCloud for is iMessage and backups. I never even upgraded to the latest version of photos that iCloud uses. My account still has me set at the version that was available during iOS 6.

I do not use Photostream.

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
For iCal/Contacts there's "SOHO Organizer 9.x" but it's expensive and development obviously has been ceased.
iFiles is an iPhone-App: https://itunes.apple.com/de/app/ifiles/id336683524?mt=8
It serves as a hub to connect Cloud<>iPhone/CameraRoll<>Mac (SFTP/FTP/AFP) for transferring files.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
iFiles is an iPhone-App: https://itunes.apple.com/de/app/ifiles/id336683524?mt=8
It serves as a hub to connect Cloud<>iPhone/CameraRoll<>Mac (SFTP/FTP/AFP) for transferring files.
This is why I specified that what I was referring to is a jailbreak tweak. :D

iFile in Cydia: http://cydia.saurik.com/package/eu.heinelt.ifile/

ifile2.png

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
This is why I specified that what I was referring to is a jailbreak tweak. :D
iFile in Cydia: http://cydia.saurik.com/package/eu.heinelt.ifile/
ifile2.png

Yeah, "iFile" is great. I used it on a jailbraked iPad2. You could even use the SD-card-adapter from the camera-kit to copy/move stuff from or to an SD-card (though that option had been unrealiable). http://forum.nexave.de/index.php/Th...via-SD-Card-und-Mul/?postID=443879#post443879

offtopic: there also had been that genius App "Quasar" which allowed Apps to run in windows long before Apple introduced split windows in iOS. Unfortunately the developer ceased further development beyond iOS5.
http://forum.nexave.de/index.php/Th...via-SD-Card-und-Mul/?postID=443880#post443880

Reactions: eyoungren

MrPilot

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 30, 2013
Hey thanks for showing interest in this soon 4 year old thread!

The webkit version I posted is old now, yes but some webkit versions work better for other things. I use for example lep.webkit version 537.69 with click to plugin for smooth (even at fullscreen) youtube playback (1ghz g4 only ppc mac I still have running). Roccat is pretty good too.

eyoungren, try google music, works fine on my g4!

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
Hey thanks for showing interest in this soon 4 year old thread!

The webkit version I posted is old now, yes but some webkit versions work better for other things. I use for example lep.webkit version 537.69 with click to plugin for smooth (even at fullscreen) youtube playback (1ghz g4 only ppc mac I still have running). Roccat is pretty good too.

eyoungren, try google music, works fine on my g4!
The 601.x version is the last one to support ClickToPlugin, which I don't want to miss.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/leopard-webkit/files/601/Leopard/PowerPC/
You may run "update system certificates" from the lastest version which has been released a few days ago, but does not offer ClickToPlugin-support and install the 601.7.7.x webkit version. That's what I did.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.