Google 'Embracing' Notch Design in 2018 Android Update, Preparing for New Wave of iPhone X Clones

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 12, 2018 at 5:19 AM.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Google's upcoming software update for its Android smartphone operating system will "embrace" an iPhone X notch-like design, according to people familiar with the company's plans speaking to Bloomberg.

With the software, referred to as Android P, Google is readying a "new generation" of Android smartphones that will be "mimicking" the iPhone X's front-facing camera cutout design.

Just like iPhone X, this cutout is believed to be where Android smartphone makers will be placing cameras and other sensors to help Android phones compete with Apple devices in the high-end market.

While Google controls the Android software, many other companies manufacture Android devices and have the ability to tweak the software as they see fit. Because of this, Bloomberg pointed out that "not all Android phones will have notches."

In total, Google's plan for Android P -- shortened from Pistachio Ice Cream -- is to convince more iOS users to switch sides by "improving the look of the software."
    Otherwise, Android P will reportedly focus heavily on Google Assistant and improving its abilities. Tighter software integration with the AI assistant will allow developers to integrate it inside of their apps, and Google is considering adding the assistant into the search bar on the Android home screen, but "neither of these changes are finalized for introduction this year." Android P is said to also introduce improved battery life on smartphones and support new designs, including "multiple screens and foldable displays."

Following the launch of the iPhone X, clones of the device began appearing around the world, including in China with the LEAGOO S9 smartphone and its notch-inspired design. Many users have disliked Apple's notch design, and Android smartphone maker Samsung played into that criticism by making fun of the notch in a Samsung Galaxy ad posted on the weekend of the iPhone X launch.

[​IMG]

While Android P is said to be a "dramatic" overhaul amid support for notch designs on a growing number of Android smartphones, Apple's own iOS update in 2018 is believed to be focused more on stability. In January, it was reported that Apple has chosen to delay new software features until 2019 -- like a home screen refresh, Mail improvements, CarPlay updates, and more -- and instead focus on addressing performance and quality issues this year.

Article Link: Google 'Embracing' Notch Design in 2018 Android Update, Preparing for New Wave of iPhone X Clones

2. nwcs macrumors 65816

nwcs

I’m sure this will infuriate some of the Android faithful out there. I see it as an inevitability given where technology is today.

3. Shirasaki, Feb 12, 2018 at 5:22 AM
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2018 at 2:48 PM

Shirasaki macrumors 604

Shirasaki

This world is hopeless now. Everyone embraces the notch even though this is an ugly design. They just do what Apple does.

I wonder what would happen if Apple magically hides all sensors underneath the screen and still make them work nicely.

4. FightTheFuture macrumors 6502a

FightTheFuture

The notch isn't pleasant, but it's needed at this moment to get the bezel-less design. Bezels look like wasted space and the notch houses an advanced biometric scanner.

The naysayers will disagree - go ahead, enjoy your backwards fingerprint scanner.

5. smartbot macrumors member

smartbot

Can't wait for the Android version of Notch Remover :D

6. Brenster macrumors 6502

Not sure how big the market is (or how much money it represents) for an Android iPhone X me-too device. I might well be wrong but I’d’ve thought anyone sufficiently enamoured of the whole notch thing has either bought an iPhone X or is waiting on contract expiry to buy in. Are there enough people on the Android side who like the notch but don’t want to migrate to iOS to make this worthwhile? Or current iOS users who are prepared to switch to get the me-too look?

Hey ho. Let them imitate if they like. It could well be the case that I’ve hopelessly underestimated the number of people who want an Android iPhone X me-too phone.

Disclaimer: iPhone X user here already.

7. Fzang macrumors 65816

Fzang

Ha! It’s funny because Samsung’s fingerprint scanner is literally on the back and it looks terrible. Good one.

8. MysteryMii215 macrumors regular

MysteryMii215

9. scrapesleon macrumors 6502

scrapesleon

10. Guidonculous macrumors newbie

Guidonculous

Does anyone with a notch even notice it after a couple weeks? At first I noticed it, then just in landscape, but even that’s fading. I do rarely use my phone in landscape, so for regular users it may remain a consistent pain point.

11. Nozuka macrumors 68000

I don't even notice it anymore. Feels like it has always been like that

12. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I never noticed it from the beginning
    Total non-issue for me

13. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

As long as it doesn't start appearing on tablets or macs/PCs.

14. PorcelinaOfTheOceans macrumors newbie

PorcelinaOfTheOceans

I have an iPhone X which I love, but I most definitely can't say I love the notch.

15. acblue94 macrumors regular

acblue94

Then where do expect to place the front cameras. I’m sorry by bezels ugly no matter how small. These phone truly look edge to edge versus a Samsung. Ugly is your opinion. Thank gid you don’t design our phones.

16. MysteryMii215 macrumors regular

MysteryMii215

Okay, while the screen to body ratio on the iPhone X is less than the S8 or the Note 8, I will say that unlike those phones (which still have a top chin and a bottom chin), the X is the closest we've gotten to an all screen body on a phone from the big boys cause of the screen going all the way to the corners.

17. heov macrumors regular

Come on, now. let's not act like the iPhone X was the first device with a notch.

Essential's (failing) PH-1 was first to the table. Notched phones existed in Android well before iPhone did. The iPhone is just much more prominent, both it's notch and placement in the industry.

Those with an Essential know Android needed to be formally updated to handle it. If others are going to copy, they'll likely copy Essential's minimal notch.

But who knows, ppl love ripping off Apple too, even it's poor design choices.

Hell, Essential even owns a patent for holes in LCDs. Maybe Apple will utilize it for their their LCD iPhones.

18. Rayban macrumors 6502

Rayban

19. filmantopia macrumors 6502a

filmantopia

It was the first phone with a notch and no other bezel. The reason others will copy Apple is because it’s clearly the best design choice available given the current technical constraints. Nobody wants a notch, but most would prefer the extra screen space the notch allows, as opposed to a full bezel.

20. Val-kyrie macrumors 65816

Now if Apple would go back to more aesthetic full bezel, then Android would be stuck with ugly design.... and we could rave about the iPhone's rediscovered beauty.

21. Slippery Gimp macrumors member

Yes, stick a notch on an Android device and I’ll instantly ditch all my Apple devices, Apple Music subscription...oh hang on, no I won’t.

22. CPTmom2wp, Feb 12, 2018 at 6:08 AM
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2018 at 6:13 AM

CPTmom2wp macrumors member

CPTmom2wp

[QUOTE="MacRumors, post: 25805918, member: 3"
    "In total, Google's plan for Android P -- shortened from Pistachio Ice Cream -- "[/QUOTE]

Seriously, are the Google folks still in adolescence?

".... .......... new Android phones with cutouts at the top of their screens to fit cameras and other sensors. That will likely support new features, helping Android device makers keep up with similar Apple technology." [/QUOTE]

Enough Said!

23. AndyDiamond macrumors 6502

AndyDiamond

Can Google just hurry-the-heck-up and update SNAPSEED for iPhone X already?

24. MetalHaze macrumors newbie

MetalHaze

Not true. Like he said. Andy Rubin’s Essential Phone was the first bezeless phone with a notch available to US consumers.

25. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

I was wondering the same thing. Is that the best design that companies can come up with ?