Google Event July 24th

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by THE JUICEMAN, Jul 17, 2013.

1. THE JUICEMAN, Jul 17, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2013

THE JUICEMAN macrumors 68000

THE JUICEMAN

2. Explicitic macrumors 6502

Android 4.3, Nexus 7 and possibly a new Nexus Q/game console.

3. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Agree about first two, third is questionable but I wouldn't be surprised by it. Just hope if they do go the media device route it's not as half baked as their previous attempts.

4. THE JUICEMAN thread starter macrumors 68000

THE JUICEMAN

I'm hoping for an update to the Nexus 4 or 5 or whatever it will be called.

5. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

Finally. Bring on the Nexus 7, please. I'm ready. One week...

And for the love of zeus, don't fumble the launch this time.

----------

Potential price leaks for the new Nexus 7: http://www.androidauthority.com/new-nexus-7-prices-reportedly-leaked-244916/

$229 (16GB) and $269 (32GB)

I sincerely hope this is true. 8 GBs is a joke -- feel free to still offer it, but also give people the 32GB option.

Please be true.

----------

Think Moto X will make an official appearance?

6. THE JUICEMAN thread starter macrumors 68000

THE JUICEMAN

Moto X is a possibility. For some reason I'm not super excited about it though. Seems like the Nexus 7 update is pretty much for sure since they are showing up in inventory.

7. jamojamo macrumors 6502

They don't offer the 8GB anymore, haven't for a while. Pricing seems weird, 16GB goes up $30 (15%) but the 32GB goes up $20 (8%)

Will be interesting to see the specs.

8. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

Currently pondering a Galaxy S4 but may very well wait for this since it seems likely they'll announce a new Nexus 4. As long as it's well specced and they actually bother to sell it in the UK it may well be my next phone.

9. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

If it's a new nexus 7 as everyone is saying, colour me interested!

10. THE JUICEMAN thread starter macrumors 68000

THE JUICEMAN

I'm considering an S4 google play edition. I might hold off until after this event though. It's going to be tough to resist though.

11. Sensamic macrumors 68030

I guess the Nexus 7 8GB didn't sell very well and that's why Google stop selling it and introduced the 32GB version later.

Hopefully they learned that lesson and will introduce a 32GB Nexus 5 version whenever it's released.

I also hope there's more to 4.3 than we already know. There's nothing exciting in the rumors.

If we get 4.3, will we still get KLP in November?

12. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

The 8GB option was available at launch. It wasn't until the Nexus 7 really took off (or should I say, it wasn't until the Nexus 7 sales tapered off) that Google fazed out the 8GB and introduced the 32GB, while the 16GB took the place of the 8GB.

I'm hoping Google doesn't do this again and offer the 32GB option right out.

I find the pricing believable. Maybe that's wishful thinking.

----------

I think once sales started slowing down, Google shifted the pricing scheme to give people more value and incentive to buy the Nexus 7.

So the 16GB took the place of the 8GB at the same price point of $199, and the 32GB took the place of the 16GB at the same price point of $249.

13. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

I'd buy an S4 GE easily if they actually sold it outside the US.

14. THE JUICEMAN thread starter macrumors 68000

THE JUICEMAN

Even with the event on the horizon? And yeah that sucks that it is only US.

15. strausd macrumors 68030

Expect to be disappointed.

16. THE JUICEMAN thread starter macrumors 68000

THE JUICEMAN

Why do you say that? Because it hasn't even been a year since the Nexus 4 came out?

17. strausd macrumors 68030

HA!

That and there have been no substantial rumors of the Nexus 5. Before the Nexus 4 and this upcoming new Nexus 7, there were rumors going crazy. Don't expect a new Nexus phone until October-November. Otherwise you will just be disappointed.

Both the Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 4 were released in November. Google is setting up a clear refresh cycle. Don't expect them to break it so early.

18. THE JUICEMAN thread starter macrumors 68000

THE JUICEMAN

I would tend to agree with you. That's makes a lot of sense. Ill come down from hope to realistic optimism.

19. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

I'd wait a few days for the event to see if anything worthwhile came out of it, but honestly, a Galaxy S4 with official AOSP is pretty amazing.

What rock have you been living under? The current rumours suggest it'll be based on the upcoming and already leaked LG Optimus G2 and will be released in October. Seeing as Carphone Warehouse have already discontinued the Nexus 4 after selling it since launch and the N4 hardware is looking dated compared to current generation phones, it seems like a replacement is due.

20. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

If the new Nexus 7 doesn't have Dolby audio, I don't care. :rolleyes: The Kindle Fire HD is pretty gimped because it doesn't run stock Android, but I am NOT interested in buying another Android tablet unless it sounds like THAT.

21. Fireblade macrumors 65816

Fireblade

No need to, they will not unveil an iPhone.

22. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

So, here we go. Once again...! ... Google has an opportunity to hit this out of the water.

They've more or less established their Nexus line; they've proven to most naysayers, the general public, and tech enthusiasts that Android is the real deal; they've hopefully HOPEFULLY learned from their previous mis-handlings of launches; and there are very nice high-end processors and general specs (dual speakers?) that have become adored.

Google (and ASUS): Please don't blow this.

Given Google's history, I am not confident, but they're bound to get it right this time... Right?!

23. strausd macrumors 68030

And the point of this comment is...

24. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31