Google has been horrible investment since Android

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pflau, Aug 16, 2010.

1. pflau macrumors 6502

Apple's stock price on the other hand has soared.

How would it impact Apple when Google becomes the next Yahoo, which tried to expand away from its core market and failed, and Sun, which tried to give its software away and failed?

2. rookie1082 macrumors regular

What do you define as "failed" ?

Leading the smartphone revolution in regards to number of phones running Google's OS?

PS - ANOTHER thread about Google/Android. Thought this was a Mac Forum, Fanboys?

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Google should be a great investment in patent litigation for Oracle on the other hand. ;)

4. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

:eek::eek: hmmmm :D

5. samcraig macrumors P6

OP - do you own stock in Google? Or are you just making yourself feel warm and fuzzy over Apple?

6. Carniphage macrumors 68000

Carniphage

I can see *that* Google have developed Android and given it away. I just struggle to see *why* they developed Android to give it away. How does Google aim to commercially?benefit.

The business model does seem a bit strange if it's entirely based on advertising revenue. I just thought about it, and I can't actually recall a single advertisement on a mobile device. Not one.

C.

7. PerfSeeker macrumors 6502a

Ever hear of AdMob? Google makes a ton of money on Android apps that have built in ads.

8. Carniphage macrumors 68000

Carniphage

Do they really?

C.

9. kenypowa macrumors 6502a

LOL. What an intelligent post.

10. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

they wouldn't have needed android for that, though.

before iAds, and even nowadays, still, there's plenty of admob in iOS, BB, and OVI apps

11. Block macrumors 6502a

Block

Wireless carriers probably give Google a good sum of money to ensure that Android sees continued development.

12. Carniphage macrumors 68000

Carniphage

As I read it AdMob turned over $100M in 2009. Most of that money went to publishers - which netted AdMob only $40M in profit.

Google paid $750M for the company. So it will be a quite a while before they get they break even.

Worst still is that half of that 2009 revenue ($20M) was from iOS devices. So now Apple will be chasing after that with their iAds.

So I am puzzled about where Google thinks the money is going to come from.

C.

13. Carniphage macrumors 68000

Carniphage

Have you any evidence of that?

A couple of weeks ago, I heard a rumor that Microsoft actually paid hardware manufacturers to licence Windows Mobile!

C.

14. Block macrumors 6502a

Block

It's a guess. With how close Google and Verizon are getting it wouldn't be surprising either.

I'm sure if you search for Google's Android jobs you'll see roles outside of just the Software Development, probably something in "Product Approval" where companies can get a "Google Approved/Endorsed" sticker or the likes for a sum of money.

Lets not forget that Android phones promote the usage of Google products, which can lead to more revenue indirectly.

15. Carniphage macrumors 68000

Carniphage

You could be right, but...

I find it hard to see how Google benefit commercially from funding the development of Android.

I find it even harder to see how Verizon would benefit.

C.

16. Block macrumors 6502a

Block

Verizon benefits because it now has a product that draws both smartphone users from other companies (i.e. iPhone) and dumbphone users to Verizon's smartphones. And wireless companies make more money from smartphone devices than they do from dumbphones.

17. Carniphage macrumors 68000

Carniphage

It certainly benefits Verizon to have sexy handsets that rival the iPhone.

But couldn't Verizon achieve the same thing by simply tempting HTC and other Android manufacturers to Verizon?

C.

18. pflau thread starter macrumors 6502

It is definitely in the interest of Apple to see Google stay alive. There are already headlines every so often about how Apple is being investigated for their apparently monopolistic practices. So having Google as a competitor is good to shut certain people up. But the thing is I just don't see how Google can survive by developing Android. Sun already failed, and after Oracle bought Sun the first things they do is to sue Google for the use of Java, and to terminate the free OpenSolaris project. So free = not commercially viable. I just don't see how Google not end up being a one trick pony in the long run.

19. Block macrumors 6502a

Block

Lets say Google decides because it is unprofitable to cease development of the Android. Suddenly Verizon's future in the smartphone sector doesn't look too good, not to mention the investment backlash they might get. Simply negotiating terms with Google such as "You will continue development for X years for Y money" can prevent something like that from happening.

20. Carniphage macrumors 68000

Carniphage

Google's presence certainly does not hurt Apple. And as you say, may actually help Apple in some ways.

What it does do however, is utterly destroy Microsoft's chance of entering the market. Who is going to pay actual money to licence a new OS now?

The press likes to depict Apple and Google as slugging it away like two heavyweight boxers. What nobody seems to notice is that all the blows land on Microsoft.

C.

21. Block macrumors 6502a

Block

AT&T is actually investing in Microsoft for some reason...

22. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Well that would put around a 5.3% return on investment after you account for overhead I would say 3-4% return on investment. That is a pretty good deal in today's economy. I am also willing to bet that Google could sell adMob for more than 750 mil so that is even more money made.

23. Carniphage macrumors 68000

Carniphage

That would imply that Android really is extremely unprofitable.

Of course, if iPhone arrives on Verizon in January, they would have less reason to back Android.

C.

24. Carniphage macrumors 68000

Carniphage

If that's the best return Google can do, it's pretty poor.

As the OP said, they'd be better-off investing in Apple shares!

C.

25. Block macrumors 6502a

Block

Well if Android was profitable (which it likely is) then Google is benefiting from it. :p