Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
It sounds amazing except for the utter lack of apps.

No iMovie. No Equation Editor. No Xcode. No Spotify. No Steam. No deal.

God, Google has become as shameless of copying Apple as Microsoft has.

I can't believe those two guys could sit in front of the camera with a straight face, as if what they were doing was actually original.

... in what way is this a shameless copy of Apple?

Did they shamelessly copy Apple by making a laptop? Not really - there's many other computer manufactures out there, and Google's doesn't look more like Apple's than anyone else's.

Did they shamelessly copy Apple by making an entirely web based OS? Not really - because there aren't other consumer web based OSs available from anywhere.

Did they shamelessly copy Apple by offering two models, one as WiFi only and one as WiFi + Cellular? Well... maybe... I don't know enough to tell you whether Apple was the first one doing that or not.

Last edited:

dojoman

macrumors 68000
Apr 8, 2010
How quickly people forget how much they paid for a POS that was the first MBA (with way worse specs than Pixel BTW)!

At least first MBA had full OS and that was 5 yrs ago. No excuse right now for Google to release low specs notebook and expect to pay that much.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I disagree with those saying ChromeOS is crap. It's not at all. It's just not for everyone/everything.

That's not at all the issue with the Pixel. It's the price.

If you want the specs that the Pixel offers - there are other devices that are the same if not cheaper and can run anything.

The appeal of ChromeOS right now is that it comes in very inexpensive laptops like the Acer and Samsung versions. Great value/bang for the buck. Even if you're just using it to surf, stream hulu, etc.

And you can put ubuntu on these inexpensive devices. So even more bang for the buck.

Other than massive storage. The bang for this buck (to me) is missing. I am sure it's a very nice machine. And *IF* Android and ChromeOS merge - this device will increase in "bang"

And I do think that eventually there will be Android laptops. And that will be very interesting on the competitive landscape.

tarasis

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Here, there and everywhere
The touch screen would please my 6 year old daughter. She's basically only really used to using an iPad (and Xbox controller) and she keeps trying to touch my MBP's screen to do things.

runeapple

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2010
How quickly people forget how much they paid for a POS that was the first MBA (with way worse specs than Pixel BTW)!

At least you could open..you know… programs! - specs are nothing when all that's running on it is a glorified web browser.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
I think he's implying that Google's primary business is advertising - Apple's is selling Hardware and Software. So that alone makes iCloud more secure.

I don't know why it nmakes more secure

I'm pretty sure I read in some article that Google have the right to sell on data from Google Drive - something to do with T&C'S I could be wrong but I seem to remember reading that.

You have read wrong

Imory

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2013
Wonderland
Yes, definitely a thick device.

I do not think we are at the point where a thin laptop such as the Air can handle such a high resolution. But Intel Haswell, with its power-saving abilities, may be just what Apple needs to release a retina Air without making it thicker. Or perhaps the IGZO displays from Sharp...

Yeah, perhaps. But I believe we'll see it in 2014. I guess it all depends on how good Haswell will turn out to be.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
iOS is a very limited OS and yet some people are still buying iOS devices (although most people switched to Android).

"most people switched to Android"... where did you get that from?

People I know from different backgrounds and expertise either purchase and iPad or may have at some point purchased an Android device and later return it if possible, or got stuck with it and hate it.

Two months ago I was at MIA's (Miami International Airport) arrivals waiting area, and lots of people had either a phone or tablet. I look around just to get an idea of what people where buying, and only saw iPhones or iPads; not a single competing device.

I have been to a McDonald's in Lake Worth, FL last week, and did see a few people with Samsung devices or regular laptops, and some with a Macbook (50 - 50). I guess it depends on the area and people's economic background; I have yet to see a nice living area in Lake Worth.

Now, go to Boca Raton, Hollywood, Fort Lauderdale, Miami, Ocala, West Palm Beach, etc., and you will see that most people have an Apple device. it must be for a good reason, don't you think?

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
At least first MBA had full OS and that was 5 yrs ago. No excuse right now for Google to release low specs notebook and expect to pay that much.

You are looking at the future of MacBooks here. Google simply leapfrogged Apple. Apple removed Optical drive people got excited. Google went further - they removed optical drive and hard drive. Is not it where Apple is going (albeit very slow)?

chadua

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2008
For five minutes, and then you realise that you're using a laptop. It just isn't pleasant whatever way you try to spin it.

Everyone I know that has used a Windows 8 laptop with a touch screen loves the touch interface. It's not a you must use the touch all the time thing it is a reaching up and touching an icon is sometimes faster and more natural feeling than using the touch pad.

runeapple

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2010
I don't know why it nmakes more secure

You have read wrong

We are talking in terms of company secureness - Google are far likely to use the data from your documents to sell on - as that is there business model - that's what they do.

iCloud and SkyDrive - Although Microsoft and Apple have a small market in advertising are far less likely to sell on your data - I would far trust my data on Microsoft or Apple servers then Google's - but personally I would rather them stay locally on my computer tbh…

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels
Does anyone else think the Google's OS will eventually take the place of Windows?

1. Its free
2. Android will merge with it. PC / smartphone integration (just like ios)
4. Google's cloud integration
5. App store, for purchasing media and software apps.

I'm surprised it hasn't happened already.

The day you can run Photoshop in a browser and 99% of standalone computing gets offloaded to the cloud, maybe. This is not happening any time soon

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
"most people switched to Android"... where did you get that from?

People I know from different backgrounds and expertise either purchase and iPad or may have at some point purchased an Android device and later return it if possible, or got stuck with it and hate it.

Two months ago I was at MIA's (Miami International Airport) arrivals waiting area, and lots of people had either a phone or tablet. I look around just to get an idea of what people where buying, and only saw iPhones or iPads; not a single competing device.

I have been to a McDonald's in Lake Worth, FL last week, and did see a few people with Samsung devices or regular laptops, and some with a Macbook (50 - 50). I guess it depends on the area and people's economic background; I have yet to see a nice living area in Lake Worth.

Now, go to Boca Raton, Hollywood, Fort Lauderdale, Miami, Ocala, West Palm Beach, etc., and you will see that most people have an Apple device. it must be for a good reason, don't you think?

I get this from market reports. Android share in smart phones right now is around 70% (started from 0%). iPad's share down from 90% to about 50% and dropping fast.

runeapple

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2010
You are looking at the future of MacBooks here. Google simply leapfrogged Apple. Apple removed Optical drive people got excited. Google went further - they removed optical drive and hard drive. Is not it where Apple is going (albeit very slow)?

I hope not. I will welcome cloud for the multimedias - music, movies etc.. but I don't want personal documents leaving the localness of my computer. Just imagine if you were a software developer and your source had to sit on a corporate server - it would make it so easy for them to rip off your work.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
Google are far likely to use the data from your documents to sell on - as that is there business model - that's what they do.

Any thing to back this?

iCloud and SkyDrive - Although Microsoft and Apple have a small market in advertising are far less likely to sell on your data - I would far trust my data on Microsoft or Apple servers then Google's - but personally I would rather them stay locally on my computer tbh…

Google doesn't not sell your data and, by the way, have you read the TOS of those 3 services?

P.S. You have forgotten iAds

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
I think this only makes sense as an attempt to drive the industry towards a hi res internet - "to inspire future innovation".

Pushing manufactures to high density displays (along with Apple) increases consumer demand for faster internet which means more opportunities for Google.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I think he's implying that Google's primary business is advertising - Apple's is selling Hardware and Software. So that alone makes iCloud more secure.

The mistake in that logic is that Apple would love to be as successful with iAds as Google is. They just aren't. Just because they aren't as successful doesn't make the motives of both companies different.

lwapps

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2012

I'm pretty sure I read in some article that Google have the right to sell on data from Google Drive - something to do with T&C'S I could be wrong but I seem to remember reading that.

The difference in Apple's and Google's primary business has little to do with how secure your data will be. It's more about who to trust with your data. In which case Apple has more of an incentive to be a trustworthy business.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
The touch screen would please my 6 year old daughter. She's basically only really used to using an iPad (and Xbox controller) and she keeps trying to touch my MBP's screen to do things.

The iPad is more portable, specially for a 6 year old.
You say your daughter tries to touch the screen of your MBP's, I have tried many times to pinch-to-zoom a photo in a magazine! :eek:

Definitely, touch technology is really becoming a natural necessity!

I do suspect that eventually, a touch-enabled MBP will come out. Or at least you could eventually get this instead and keep your screen clean:

https://www.leapmotion.com

:D

JacobBaldwin

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2012
UK
I think the only real reason that Google have released this utter tripe is so that they can take the "highest ppi" title from the rMBP. *sigh* :(

runeapple

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2010
The mistake in that logic is that Apple would love to be as successful with iAds as Google is. They just aren't. Just because they aren't as successful doesn't make the motives of both companies different.

iAd is more of a way to help software developers offer software for free without having the ugliness of mobile google ads. It's definitely something they haven't really taken seriously.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I hope not. I will welcome cloud for the multimedias - music, movies etc.. but I don't want personal documents leaving the localness of my computer. Just imagine if you were a software developer and your source had to sit on a corporate server - it would make it so easy for them to rip off your work.

The likelihood of someone at google stealing your work from it being on their server is as likely as someone breaking into your home and taking your computer. Or someone hacking your account online and grabbing it from your emails or whatnot.

There are hundreds of companies that have their data in the cloud. Are you implying corporations are safer than individuals when it comes to data theft?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.