Google Investigating Reports of Screen Burn-In on Pixel 2 XL But iPhone X Unlikely Affected

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 23, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Multiple reports have surfaced over the past few days about potential screen burn-in or image retention issues with Google's new Pixel 2 XL smartphone.

[​IMG]
    Pixel 2 XL with apparent screen burn-in via Michael Kukielka?

Android Central's Alex Dobie? shared a photo on Twitter on early Sunday that shows faint outlines of Android's navigation buttons at the bottom of the display. 9to5Google, The Verge, and Ars Technica also experienced the issue.

In a statement to The Verge, Google said it is "actively investigating" the reports.
    Google hasn't confirmed how many users are currently affected.

Google sourced the Pixel 2 XL's plastic OLED display from LG, which could be the root of the problem, given that the smaller Pixel 2 and original Pixel's Samsung-supplied OLED displays have experienced far fewer issues.

Apple is also sourcing OLED displays exclusively from Samsung, so if the issue stems from LG, then the iPhone X shouldn't be affected either.

LG's own V30 smartphone has suffered from many of the same display issues, which has also included banding and uneven colors.

Screen burn-in is typically a result of static images or on-screen elements displaying on the screen uninterrupted for a prolonged period of time. The issue can result in persistent discoloration or a "ghosting" effect on the screen.

Article Link: Google Investigating Reports of Screen Burn-In on Pixel 2 XL But iPhone X Unlikely Affected

2. dominiongamma macrumors 65816

Kind of proves OLED still has issues even after 10 years later.

3. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

Next Up: Google Investigating Reports of Possible Dead Pixels on Pixel 2 XL

4. geoff5093 macrumors 68020

geoff5093

I'm an Android fan, who pre-ordered the Pixel 2 XL in white on release day. I cancelled my pre-order because of this, and looking forward to the iPhone X.

5. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

Which may be why Apple has stayed away thus far. It took them a while to cave, but they could only take LCD so far I’m guessing.

And the rewards of OLED out weigh the risks.

6. dumastudetto macrumors 68030

I don't understand why people are paying premium flagship prices for devices that are so fatally flawed.

You can buy an iPhone 8 or iPhone 8 Plus for pretty much the same money as Google is charging for their equivalent devices.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 23, 2017 ---
    Smart decision.

7. profets macrumors 601

8. BaltimoreMediaBlog macrumors 6502a

BaltimoreMediaBlog

I've been saying this for a long time. The first word in OLED is organic meaning it decays and dies quicker.

The colors might be brighter and richer, but for how long?

9. macfacts macrumors 68030

macfacts

Headline states the Apple logo can likely prevent burn ins.

10. djcerla macrumors 68000

djcerla

Worst screen in a flagship smartphone, ever.

What a disaster.

11. thejtray macrumors newbie

thejtray

I was looking forward to buying this phone since early this summer when the leaks of iPhone X were starting. Then I learned LG was sources for most of the Pixel 2XL and I immediately said no thank you. I’ve owned several devices from LG over the years and none of those devices lasted longer than a month at best. I am not surprised by this becoming an issue. I hope Apple doesn’t run into these problems, but the iPhone is never without it’s flaws. The biggest flaw this year is the price of the iPhone X.

12. H3LL5P4WN macrumors 68000

H3LL5P4WN

So should we be expecting AT&T and 3 bars to be burned into our left "ear?"

13. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Because people don't want an iPhone??

====

Looks like Google screwed this one up now we'll see if they an recover

14. Darmok N Jalad macrumors 68000

Darmok N Jalad

I think what makes OLED so amazing looking is the near infinite contrast ratio because there is no backlight like LED. This does put more strain on the pixels of OLED, as they need to produce both color and brightness—and people expect max brightness.

15. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Is iPhoneX using an experimental unrefined new POLED tech from LG?

No

16. Westside guy macrumors 603

Westside guy

I don't really get how the title can say "iPhone X likely unaffected" since they currently have no good idea what's going on - just speculation.

17. Avieshek, Oct 23, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2017

Avieshek Suspended

Avieshek

And Apple 'wanted' LG Displays, just like their Intel modems.

Here’s a note to Apple: Keep disputes and business separate. Intel chips or replacing Samsung with LG is not the solution (unless you make your own: microLED ;))

18. UL2RA Suspended

LG really dropped the ball on the XL model. Why didn't Google just use Samsung for both models?

19. IGotOne macrumors regular

Because even if it did, it would still be unaffected!:

"Dear Apple: My X is showing severe OLED burn-in, what do I do?"

Apple: "You are enjoying the benefits of our new feature. Now you can always see the past, even in the present. We call it "Ghosting", and it's a totally new feature we just thought of now... so, um, no need to check into it at all. Thanks for the email and enjoy your new feature!"

Unaffected

20. dallas112678 macrumors 6502a

Google should know that leaving a static navbar always on the screen is a recipe for disaster. Even Samsung lets you hide he navbar in all apps.

On a side note, things are going to get very interesting out here when Apple starts using LG oled’s...

21. H3LL5P4WN macrumors 68000

H3LL5P4WN

I guess I forgot the /s tag. :p

22. Strelok macrumors 6502a

Strelok

The question is whether this is burn in or just image retention. The former is a real issue, the latter just an annoyance.

23. MrX8503 macrumors 68020

The sole display supplier for the iPhone X is Samsung.

Price and availability. If Apple can’t secure enough OLEDs, what makes you think Google can?

24. JosephAW macrumors 68020

JosephAW

This is why screen savers were created way back in the CRT days. I can just see it now. Screen savers for iPhone X after 30 seconds of lost Face ID.
    I can't even believe this is a issue in 2017.

25. mytawalbeh macrumors newbie

mytawalbeh

“Unlikely” because Apple doesn’t have the same OLED panels supplier as Google.
    And .. during the last couple years, LG panels have shown higher number of faulty panels than samsung.