Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

room237

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2008
Queens, NYC
When you friend someone and they show up in your friends, you can then set the city level.

I am not sure if it is a quirk, but I had to do it on my phone and on the web based latitude - could be an early bug?

On the web, you need to look at your friends then click the profile link for the friend then you can change the setting. Should then have a little group of buildings next to the friend representing city access.

On the iPhone client you select the friend, then click the blue arrow on the right, then set the "privacy" settings.

Gotcha, thanks

decimortis

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
Toronto
Alibi

Officer: "Where were you on the night of the 12th?"

Person Guy: "I was at a Christmas party."

Officer: "Do you have an alibi?"

Person Guy: "Hellz yes. My trusty iPhone can vouch for my whereabouts."

Officer: "..."

IamHermann0069

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2008
Minneapolis, Minnesota
This just looks like another version of Loopt, but with less features. I thought Loopt could have been pretty cool, but it never really caught on! None of these Apps ever have enough users to make them worth using.

hitekalex

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2008
Chicago, USA
please just give us an update google maps navigation like the one of android and we wont trouble you anymore

I predict that Android-like gMaps navigation in iOS won't happen anytime soon, if ever. Google wants to maintain some differentiation between "native" Google-experience Android devices, and competing mobile platforms (iOS, WebOS).

Built-in navigation in Android devices is one of the key differentiators (as long as few other like truly integrated Google Voice), and Google will want to keep it that way.

macintologist

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2004
I much prefer Glympse (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/glympse-location-sharing-made/id330316698?mt=8) because the idea is you only share your location for a brief period and a give a "glimpse" of your location. So if I'm driving to meet someone somewhere I will open Glympse and share my location for 30 minutes. It updates in the background (btw, background location sharing kills the battery!)

Also I think it's creepy to consolidate all of your personal information into one place like Google which provides free services in exchange for selling your information to advertisers. With Glympse yes they know your location briefly but they don't know anything else about you and don't have your email inbox and contacts like Google (if youre a sucker for gmail and everything)

reactions

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2009
Sacramento
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

If this was apple's app - they'd market it better so people would use it.

I blame apple for not updating maps to include these functions

fuseone

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2010
it seems nice but i closed the app and still it had find my location running in the back ground even after i closed the app down from the background. does any one know how to close it out other then going in to settings and shutting it off

TitoC

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2007
Once again the forum regulars prove themselves to be forward looking and posative. :rolleyes:

Let's see, shopping at the local outdoor mall, no need to have a meeting time and place yet the kids can shop on their own. Noticing a close friend is at the coffee shop round the corner and saying hi. Not needing to interfer with my wifes calls and still being able to see how close she is to home so dinner can be hot and ready....

Maybe if you guys weren't all dishonest kids that hide from your parents, or cheating spouses, or criminals in training, you could think of posative uses!

Pathetic.

Bravo! Finally a reasonable voice in this cluster of paranoid delusional freaks who don't know the first thing about an app (nor how to read for that matter) but love to scream "IT'S A TRAP!!!!" over and over again.

Here's a thought - I know it's crazy and waaaay out there, but . . . Don't buy it.

bretm

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2002
1) I don't care where everyone else is.

2) I don't care to tell everyone where I am.

Maybe I'm just starting to get old, but this is like "places" in Facebook, I just don't get why people want everyone knowing where they are and frankly it's a clutter of a mess when I see statuses everywhere saying 'Person X is here, and Peron y is there' all over the place.

All that aside, I do like seeing more Google stuff for iOS :)

For people saying Divorce rates will go up becasue of this app, I have to ask: Is it the app or stupid people using the app that would make the rates go up?
If divorces did go up from this, it's either becasue people are doing things thay shouldn't and get caught and/or becasue they were to dumb to use the privacy settings.

Option 3: people commenting about an app they knew nothing about.

ziggyonice

macrumors 68020
Mar 12, 2006
Rural America
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8C148)

Meh, I'll stick with Foursquare. It's more fun, anyway.

pacohaas

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2006
Why would someone want to use such an app?

The best example I can think of is if you are out on the town bar hopping or just strolling. In the past you could easily be walking down the opposite side of the street as a friend of yours and never know it until the next day at work you're talking about how you were both downtown and wanted to go check out some bands at a coffee shop, but didn't want to go alone. If only there was some way to know when friends were nearby...

As everyone else has said, if you don't want to share location, you can disable it until you do want to share. Or you can share city-level details with some friends. It would be nice to know when some friends are in town on business and maybe meet up with them for lunch or something.

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
People freaking out over privacy concerns should just pitch their cell phones in general, with or without this app. Your every move is already being tracked in all sorts of ways.

For me, I love this. Pretty cool feature and free!

Why would someone want to use such an app?

Why would someone want a cell phone? So no matter where you are you can always reach out and touch someone. Now you can do it in real-time and without the artificial barrier of a phone call.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
Stalkers will like this ...but then so wont the FBI/US Government??? I do hope Google are able to prevent handing over this very sensitive and personal information.

They don't need this App to track you already. Your phone always provides your location if the FBI wants it.

Try not to "Friend Stalkers" and other undesirables and you'll be fine. UGH!

I don't get why so many are paranoid about this? I think it's cool Great for when you do have friends to get together with, or track family when visiting a place like NYC so you know where everyone is at. Could be great for companies and tradeshows where you need to find other employees. Also it would be great for my car club so I could see other members when we're all at a rally.

I see nothing evil about this... you can turn it off too.

macFanDave

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2003
Sounds pretty creepy to me.

I'll bet the tech-savvy one in a couple or a family can discreetly put this on the others' phones at track them without their knowledge. The potential for abuse is limitless. I don't believe that Google thinks anymore, they just want to dazzle us with what they do without considering the consequences.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

If this was apple's app - they'd market it better so people would use it.

I blame apple for not updating maps to include these functions

HUH?

Ahhh... this is just a simple tracking app. Yes it would be nice if it was just a built in feature and may be someday, but what's so bad with what's shown here? Seems decent and Google does good software for the most part.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
Sounds pretty creepy to me.

I'll bet the tech-savvy one in a couple or a family can discreetly put this on the others' phones at track them without their knowledge. The potential for abuse is limitless. I don't believe that Google thinks anymore, they just want to dazzle us with what they do without considering the consequences.

The second you'd go to your multi-task app bar, you'd see this running in the background... if it was me, I'd want to know what it is and it wouldn't take a genius to figure it out and shut it off.

Again... I think there's nothing evil here and little to no concern for abuse or trickery by spouses, the government, Steve Jobs, Google, my dog, parents or the stalker down the street.

Oh... I put Steve in the list because it really gets a feeding frenzy going with the trolls here on MR. :)

Hawkeye411

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2007
Canada EH!!!
Yeah, try explaining to your parents that you "accidentally" turned on the privacy feature. Parents buy their kids phones for one reason, to keep up with them. Parents will now force their kids to have this app installed and keep it turned on. Some kids DO need to be watched based on their behavior but this type of app will just make it easier to micromanage children when they are outside of the home. :p

Perfect! I'll install on the kids phones tonight!!

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
Your $2000 iPhone (includes what you pay over your 2 year contract) not expense enough?

Yeah... and I remember when it use to cost $.50 a minute to call long distance and now I can talk all day long for as long as I like to anyone in the US for $90 a month. So your point?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.