Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
For pete's sake please go back and look at the comment I was responding to before making some ill-informed reply!

I saw what you were replaying to and my statement still stands what is your point? You can get a used iphone for next to nothing, the GPS still works in it just fine....

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Now your jealousy girlfriend/ wife can track you. This application will become a mayor reason of brake ups/ divorces.

No, now you can know when girlfriend A is getting close so you can girlfriend B out.

Same when Mom is in the 'hood and you would rather not be at home

nsayer

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2003
Silicon Valley
Having a location service like this constantly running in the background would absolutely destroy battery life.

You have greatly misunderstood the functionality.

Go back and watch the IOS 4 keynote again. Background location services use cell tower triangulation so as to not destroy battery life.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
I love all of the people on here crying about how Google Latitude will lead to people losing their privacy, ex-girlfriends stalking them, wives divorcing them, etc. when Find My iPhone can basically do the exact same thing. But, FMiP is "innovative" instead. :rolleyes:

tenhead

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2008
california
Officer: "Where were you on the night of the 12th?"

Person Guy: "I was at a Christmas party."

Officer: "Do you have an alibi?"

Person Guy: "Hellz yes. My trusty iPhone can vouch for my whereabouts."

Officer: "..."

Officer:" Ok, your Iphone tells me where the IPHONE has been. Not where you've been !"

Hmm.. nice try.

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Dec 3, 2003
This thread is lol for the number of people freaking out about this app...causing divorces...lol.

If you don't want someone to know where you are obviously you wouldn't be using this at all now would you?

pacohaas

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2006
I don't know much about Google Latitude. Don't other iPhone users have to have it installed and configure it to allow specific friends to view their location?
Yes, you're correct-but there's always ways to get around that.

Wrong, you do not need an iPhone or even this app to use Latitude, you can set it up all on a computer if you want, please educate yourselves. I suppose the concept BJB is getting at is correct, users do have to configure Latitude to use latitude, but that seems obvious.

room237

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2008
Queens, NYC
You have greatly misunderstood the functionality.

Go back and watch the IOS 4 keynote again. Background location services use cell tower triangulation so as to not destroy battery life.

You are partly correct. Try walking around all day with the Tom Tom app running in the background. You'll drain your battery before lunch time.

ponchosalazar

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2007
Mexico
You are partly correct. Try walking around all day with the Tom Tom app running in the background. You'll drain your battery before lunch time.

I've just installed this app on my iPhone. I think it will drain the phone's battery given the GPS arrow is constantly shown at the top of the display.

My experience is that when that arrow is shown the GPS antenna is on, draining battery faster. When I disabled the background update option on the app the GPS went off and so the location service.

On the blackberry works just fine with triangulation, and it only turns on the GPS when you actually use the app.

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
They only reason girlfriend A is nearby is because she's looking at your location on her iPhone.

You just need more girlfriends. If you manage to juggle more than a few, they aren't smart enough to figure out this app in the first place.

hissyfit

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2009
Identity...

Not getting this app, Google wants to keep track of everything we do.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Not getting this app, Google wants to keep track of everything we do.
If they mine their live data they can probably figure out where you are even if you don't have this app installed!

When you let an app use your current location, because it's necessary for the task it performs, do you ever wonder who else is going to get that information or how long it will persist?

Skoal

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8C148)

Useless and potentially dangerous. Google keeps rolling out random tracking services like this. Oh, that's right, they're an ad/search company.

Not useless at all. Oh wait, doesn't Apple use location services in their apps as well? Why yes they do.

valkraider

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2004
If they mine their live data they can probably figure out where you are even if you don't have this app installed!

Every iPhone comes with Google Maps installed. They know where you are every time you use that.

Every time you Google search or use GMail they use GeoIP to figure out your general location (unless you porxy)...

Come on. You want to hide - ditch your cell phone all together.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
I think this is awesome, and I would sometimes love to know where exactly people are. However, I would be worried about privacy... I'm sure people will find out how to hack into this one day, and then there you go: a free map of every expensive phone in town, with live updating locations. Plus, if you forget to turn it off, I'm sure you'll end up in weird situations where you lied about going somewhere and you ended up going somewhere else. It would just make me paranoid: "OMG did I turn it off?"

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Every iPhone comes with Google Maps installed. They know where you are every time you use that.
Or maybe they just know where you WERE the last time you tapped to map your current location.

I tried getting driving directions to an address in downtown Los Angeles the other day but the Google Map app couldn't find a route. I was puzzled at first, until I figured out that the last time I had it find my current location was when I was in Hawaii in November. The app assumed I was still there, and apparently you can't drive from Hawaii to Los Angeles!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.