Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Google today announced the launch of its new mobile app payment platform "Pay with Google," following a sneak peek of the feature during its I/O conference this past May. Using Pay with Google, Android smartphone owners can access any of the credit or debit cards they've added to their Google Account -- sourcing products like Google Play, YouTube, Chrome, and Android Pay -- and quickly choose these cards to purchase items in apps.

When the Pay with Google button is available, Google sends the merchant each user's payment info and shipping address based on the information from their Google Account, so users don't have to type in any additional information. Then, according to Google, the merchant will handle the rest of the checkout process "just like any other purchase."

pay-with-google.jpg
If you've ever paid for something on your phone or tablet, you know just how frustrating checkout can be. Maybe you had to fill in a bunch of forms. Maybe your session timed out. Maybe you encountered an error and had to start all over again. Back in May, we shared a sneak peek of how paying with Google would help you skip all that. And starting today you can now speed through online checkout on many of your favorite apps and websites with a few quick clicks.

Paying with Google makes checkout so fast and easy, you can make the most of every moment--whether you're grabbing a dinner spot or a parking spot.
There are a few app launch partners, including DoorDash, Dice, Yelp Eat24, Fancy, Gametime, Hotel Urbano, Instacart, Kayak, Postmates, Wish, and more. Pay with Google uses the Google Payment API, which has launched globally -- making it available in Brazil with partners like iFood -- but still requires merchants to support the API in their apps.

Google said that its partnership with various payment providers will make integration with the new platform "even simpler." At launch these include Adyen, Braintree, Vantiv, and Stripe. Like merchant support, Google will be adding more payment providers in the future.

Besides Pay with Google, which focuses on online shopping within mobile apps, Android smartphone owners have had the contactless payments solution Android Pay over the past few years. Similar to Apple Pay, Android Pay fuels checkouts both in stores and online, stores multiple cards, and is exclusive to its platform. The next major addition to Apple Pay will be peer-to-peer payments with Apple Pay Cash, coming in a future update to iOS 11.

Article Link: Google Launches New Android-Based Mobile App Payment Solution 'Pay With Google'

Madmic23

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2004
jesus christ, so google wallet, android pay and now google pay? what the hell is wrong with google? google hangouts, google talk, google allo... same thing. stop making redundant services

No, no, no, you've got that all wrong. This is "Pay with Google."

"Google Pay" will be the next payment option they launch. :)

But seriously, they really need to stop this. I love Google Photos and Gmail, but I don't understand why Google insists on creating new apps or services instead of just improving existing ones.

They have what, 3 or 4 different messaging platforms now? I was trying to help a less tech savvy person with their Android phone one day and they said "how do I send someone a text?" I looked at them like they were crazy, you just use the texting app, right? Nope! They had three different messaging apps. Messages, Allo, and Hangouts. All installed by default.

I know Android is all about choice and customization, but I appreciate that Apple keeps it simple. One messaging app. One payment service. Done.

Sefstah

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2015
Im waiting for the day when we can leave our ATM cards at home, and fully rely on Apple Pay or Google Pay.

KingslayerG5

Suspended
Oct 16, 2017
If it still is NFC-based, Samsung Pay will continue to be superior over its competitors.

I rarely ever use Apple Pay and Android Pay because the restaurants I go to (Yoshinoya, Andes Peruvian Grill) and many gas stations or liquor stores don't accept either. Samsung Pay has MST. Many cash registers don't have NFC at all.
[doublepost=1508775748][/doublepost]
Im waiting for the day when we can leave our ATM cards at home, and fully rely on Apple Pay or Google Pay.
It already exist. It's called Samsung Pay. Although maybe 5% you will get shut out with it like in a few gas stations or old liquor stores. Still, a 95% or higher acceptance is still better than 50-60% with Apple Pay and Google Pay. Not all of us likes to eat at McDonald's or KFC for lunch.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Sounds a bit like they copied Apple’s “Apple Pay for websites and apps” feature. Which is not a bad thing if Google has set up good security for their systems and our accounts. In fact its such a good thing that I doubt Tim Cook will give them any grief over copying the idea (or the basic mechanic of the system)

joueboy

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2008
No, no, no, you've got that all wrong. This is "Pay with Google."

"Google Pay" will be the next payment option they launch. :)

But seriously, they really need to stop this. I love Google Photos and Gmail, but I don't understand why Google insists on creating new apps or services instead of just improving existing ones.

They have what, 3 or 4 different messaging platforms now? I was trying to help a less tech savvy person with their Android phone one day and they said "how do I send someone a text?" I looked at them like they were crazy, you just use the texting app, right? Nope! They had three different messaging apps. Messages, Allo, and Hangouts. All installed by default.

I know Android is all about choice and customization, but I appreciate that Apple keeps it simple. One messaging app. One payment service. Done.
Because that’s what Google does, create things gets hyped make more money. If they stop doing that they’ll become irrelevant to the tech industry. Every year we talk about Google media gets excited then kill the product. Apple is about to do the same thing making things for the sake of getting the hype.

fairuz

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2017
Silicon Valley
jesus christ, so google wallet, android pay and now google pay? what the hell is wrong with google? google hangouts, google talk, google allo... same thing. stop making redundant services
You forgot Google Meet (not to be confused with Meetups), which I had to use recently. It's the same as Hangouts, but it only works in Chrome and uses even more CPU than Hangouts does. Brilliant.
Yeah, this is the reason I don't use their ecosystem. I like Apple because they're consistent. Oh, also imagine how annoying Google's APIs are to use.

Last edited:

KingslayerG5

Suspended
Oct 16, 2017
If I wanted to get another Galaxy flagship again, Samsung Pay would be my main reason going back. I'm someone who doesn't like to carry cash at all. It's even faster with a Samsung Gear smart watch.

Apple Pay and Android Pay have limited selection using them in local markets and restaurants. Neither one are even accepted at my neighborhood Walmart supermarket but Samsung Pay does.

I eat a local Japanese sushi restaurants, Chinese or Thai restaurants, and buy snacks from liquor stores. Fast food like McDonald's or KFC isn't my thing. Samsung Pay is the only one accepted by a majority of them.

Only restaurants where it didn't work was in a particular Yoshinoya location (Fullerton, CA) and a Panda Express (Yorba Linda). It isn't 100% accepted but still much higher than using the other NFC-based payments.

Apple and Google need to start using MST. If iMessages is important at staying with Apple's ecosystem, Samsung Pay is like that for Samsung's ecosystem. It's the iMessages for mobile payments except having MST is more universal.

You can leave your debit at home unless you need to withdraw money and not worry 85% of the time as Samsung claims. I drive around alot every single day at different restaurants, and Apple Pay and Android Pay are still a crap shoot with acceptance.

fairuz

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2017
Silicon Valley
Sounds a bit like they copied Apple’s “Apple Pay for websites and apps” feature. Which is not a bad thing if Google has set up good security for their systems and our accounts. In fact its such a good thing that I doubt Tim Cook will give them any grief over copying the idea (or the basic mechanic of the system)
They've done a better job IMO. I don't use Apple Pay because I don't trust iCloud after what I've seen.

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
I was trying to help a less tech savvy person with their Android phone one day and they said "how do I send someone a text?" I looked at them like they were crazy, you just use the texting app, right? Nope! They had three different messaging apps. Messages, Allo, and Hangouts. All installed by default.

Delete them and replace them with Textra.

Suspended
Jun 2, 2017
They've done a better job IMO. I don't use Apple Pay because I don't trust iCloud after what I've seen.
Apple does not store your card number, in fact, they re-issue you a different card number only your device and the bank knows.

fairuz

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2017
Silicon Valley
What have you seen?
Just by answering security questions, I was able to reset my password and retrieve all my supposedly end-to-end encrypted data. They've changed this policy, but it wasn't that long ago, and I know the data still isn't end-to-end encrypted despite their claims. That, and I know some tech-savvy friends who had their accounts hacked for no explainable reason. I'll trust iCloud as an email service and such, but I'm not giving it the power to lock my computer or access my funds.

xero9

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2006
If it still is NFC-based, Samsung Pay will continue to be superior over its competitors.

I rarely ever use Apple Pay and Android Pay because the restaurants I go to (Yoshinoya, Andes Peruvian Grill) and many gas stations or liquor stores don't accept either. Samsung Pay has MST. Many cash registers don't have NFC at all.
[doublepost=1508775748][/doublepost] It already exist. It's called Samsung Pay. Although maybe 5% you will get shut out with it like in a few gas stations or old liquor stores. Still, a 95% or higher acceptance is still better than 50-60% with Apple Pay and Google Pay. Not all of us likes to eat at McDonald's or KFC for lunch.

Never used Samsung Pay, but I'm curious if it works at all at chip-enabled merchants. I'm Canada, you'd have better luck finding a unicorn than you would a merchant that will accept a mag swipe on a card that has a chip.

UL2RA

Suspended
May 7, 2017
Just by answering security questions, I was able to reset my password and retrieve all my supposedly end-to-end encrypted data. They've changed this policy, but it wasn't that long ago, and I know the data still isn't end-to-end encrypted despite their claims. That, and I know some tech-savvy friends who had their accounts hacked for no explainable reason. I'll trust iCloud as an email service and such, but I'm not giving it the power to lock my computer or access my funds.
"My friends got hacked" is not a logical reason to not trust iCloud. You can't reset your password with security questions if you have authentication turned on with your cell number ... as it will ask you first to enter your number ... and then there will be a waiting period for account recovery. Or you can authenticate from another Apple device. Maybe you should learn more about Apple's increased security measures before writing Apple off because you used minimal security for your iCloud account. Maybe your "tech savvy" friends aren't so tech savvy ... because it isn't difficult to keep your iCloud account secure.

fairuz

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2017
Silicon Valley
"My friends got hacked" is not a logical reason to not trust iCloud. You can't reset your password with security questions if you have authentication turned on with your cell number ... as it will ask you first to enter your number ... and then there will be a waiting period for account recovery. Or you can authenticate from another Apple device. Maybe you should learn more about Apple's increased security measures before writing Apple off because you used minimal security for your iCloud account. Maybe your "tech savvy" friends aren't so tech savvy ... because it isn't difficult to keep your iCloud account secure.
I know about their new security practices. And yes, I've upgraded my account. I just don't trust them after their history of absolutely stupid security and false claims about the privacy of my data.

Also, if my friends can get hacked, why not me? They have no idea how it happened, and they don't do anything stupid with their accounts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.