Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Google today announced the launch of its latest smartphone, the Pixel 4a, which has a $349 price tag and is designed to compete with lower-cost devices like Apple's $399 iPhone SE.

pixel4a.jpg

The Pixel 4a features a 5.81-inch display that's all screen, with a small front-facing pinhole camera at the top left, a square-shaped camera bump at the rear, and fingerprint biometrics on the back.

Design wise, the display is much larger than the iPhone SE's display, which is modeled after the 4.7-inch iPhone 8. The iPhone SE also features a fingerprint button, but it is at the front in a thick bottom bezel.

Apple is actually rumored to be working on a new version of the iPhone SE called the iPhone SE Plus that would have an all-display design similar to Apple's more expensive iPhones, with a fingerprint sensor built into the power button. The iPhone SE Plus won't be coming until 2021, though.

pixel4aback.jpg

Along with an all-display design and a larger form factor, the Pixel 4a is equipped with an Octa-Core Qualcomm Snapdragon 730 processor and Titan M security chip, 6GB RAM, a single-lens 12.2-megapixel camera, 128GB storage, and a 3,140mAh battery.

The iPhone SE is equipped with a 12-megapixel camera too, but it's an older camera originally introduced in the iPhone 8, and it doesn't have Night Sight like Google's model. It does handily outperform the Snapdragon 730 processor with its A13 chip.

The Pixel 4a also has some Android goodies, such as the new Google Assistant experience that was first rolled out with the Pixel 4. Google promises three years of updates for the Pixel 4a, while the iPhone SE is likely to see four to five years of support.

We've got a Pixel 4a on the way and plan on doing an in-depth comparison with the iPhone SE later this week, so make sure to keep an eye out for that video. For those interested, the Pixel 4a can be pre-ordered from Google's website as of today.

Article Link: Google Launches Pixel 4a, a $349 iPhone SE Competitor

• Haha
Reactions: Tucom

NotTooLate

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2020
Going to be a hard sell for Google on this one , no IP rating and no wireless charging , at least they undercut the competition with a 349$ price , price is always a great place to provide value , not sure how much money they will be doing on this one.

Comment

Detonation

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2015
$50 is not an insignificant amount in the budget market. But really the main selling point for this is the camera, and if you don't care about that, I'd say the $50 more is worth spending for SE long term.

• Disagree
Reactions: DeepIn2U
Comment

Mr. Awesome

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2016
Idaho, USA
Nobody looking at this phone is going to judge it by a ‘camera bump’ on the back. The selling point for this phone is solely the price point of $350. Affordability is key here, not the aesthetics.

I understand that. I just think Google could’ve gone with a different design for the camera. I’m not saying that makes the phone terrible, very bad choice. It is an awesome phone at a really good price. I just wish the camera looked different, that’s all.

Comment

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
I hope GrapheneOS will support this phone. Would be a great and inexpensive phone for some tinkering that isn't possible on Apple's closed platform.

Comment

Sasparilla

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
Looks like a great phone in that price range for Android and since most people are on one side of the fence or the other (switching happens but its terribly small percentages of the user base) I doubt it'll have any impact on the SE2. Interestingly the physical sizes of the two phones are almost identical.

Guess the mobile providers here in the U.S. aren't going to push it much (its only going to be on sale in 2 I think) - and they sell the vast majority of Android phones in the U.S. - this should sell but won't make an appreciable dent in the market (which is too bad as its a great phone for the price). JMHO...

Comment

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2018
"Competitor" is not a great word. You have to sell more than a few thousand to compete. The SE will sell millions here. You are taking the people who wouldnt spend the money for an Apple device anyway, $50 or not, if price is the deciding factor; Apple isnt "losing" anything there.

IT's a compellling device for the price, but another $50 and wireless charge, 90hz, IP (or at least like Oneplus does and put the water resistance in), and bigger battery would have been the better choice. Id spend the extra few bucks on the OnePlus Nord here frankly if it was an Android device (no wireless charge but worth the few bucks extra).

Comment

Ubuntu

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2005
UK/US
"Competitor" is not a great word. You have to sell more than a few thousand to compete. The SE will sell millions here. You are taking the people who wouldnt spend the money for an Apple device anyway, $50 or not, if price is the deciding factor; Apple isnt "losing" anything there.

IT's a compellling device for the price, but another $50 and wireless charge, 90hz, IP (or at least like Oneplus does and put the water resistance in), and bigger battery would have been the better choice. Id spend the extra few bucks on the OnePlus Nord here frankly if it was an Android device.
I think that’s because you’re interpreting it as meaning a good competitor. Even if you’re right about the SE/OnePlus being better options (which I think you are) it’s more that Google has positioned this as a competitor (or vice versa with the SE and 3a).

Reactions: Professor Rucy
Comment

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
This could be a nice option for those of us who also have to still know their way around Google's operating system for work.

...now that the Essential Phone isn't getting updates anymore. 😥

EDIT: Only 3 years of updates? *laughs in iPhone 6s*

Last edited:
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.