Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Google today announced several new features coming to Google Maps for iOS and Android this year, including a brand new "Live View" mode that uses AR for navigation inside malls and airports.

google-maps-ar-eco-route.jpg

Live Mode aims to prevent customers from the "awkward moment when you're walking in the opposite direction of where you want to go" by providing directions in AR, right in the app. Google says the new model uses global localization, which "uses AI to scan tens of billions of Street View images to understand your orientation."

Indoor Live Mode is available on Android and iOS for a small number of malls in Chicago, Long Island, Los Angles, Newark, San Fransico, San Jose, and Seattle. In the coming months, Google says it will roll it out to airports, malls, and transit stations in Tokyo and Zurich, with other locations planned in the future.

As part of its effort to encourage users to reduce their carbon footprint, Google Maps will soon default users to a route with the lowest possible carbon footprint. Google says the new eco-friendly route mode will have roughly the same ETA as regular routes, and in cases where the ETA is drastically different, the app will allow users to compare the CO2 impact of each route, allowing them to make the final decision.

Eco-friendly routes will launch in the U.S. for iOS and Android later in the year, with a global expansion on the way. Additionally, in June, Google will begin alerting users when navigating through a low emissions zone. These zones restrict cars that include high CO2 emissions, such as diesel cars, and sometimes require specific emissions stickers. The feature will initially roll out in Germany, the Netherlands, France, Spain, and the UK.

Other features coming to Google Maps in the coming months include built-in support for curbside pickup options at grocery stores. Google will begin to include helpful shopping information within grocery stores' Business Profiles in Maps and Search, giving customers quick access to that store's shopping options.

Article Link: Google Maps Announces Indoor AR Navigation and Eco-Friendly Route Options

jimbobb24

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2005
The entire world could probably be mapped topographically indoors and outdoors by having the LiDAR sensors on phones be passively mapping in the background and then using AI and GPS info to stitch them together. At least public places easily could be crowd-sourced.

rp100

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2016
"As part of its effort to encourage users to reduce their carbon footprint"

Shut down Google on environmental grounds and reduce loads more? Corporates should stop lecturing the little people who are barely scraping by at the moment.

I had a similar sentiment. I will assume that they are applying power-efficiency optimization to human beings. Google’s press release specifies that in the future, by default, you will be presented with a moral dilemma when navigating:
Soon, Google Maps will default to the route with the lowest carbon footprint when it has approximately the same ETA as the fastest route. In cases where the eco-friendly route could significantly increase your ETA, we’ll let you compare the relative CO2 impact between routes so you can choose.

Coming soon: responsibly-sourced search results.

Pat TheBoss

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2014
Sweet! Love the eco route idea. Data nerds rejoice! I wonder if it takes into account the type of vehicle you drive. For instance most EVs, Toyota hybrids, etc. have greater efficiency in lower speed driving, while most fossil cars have greater highway efficiency.

ArPe

macrumors 65816
May 31, 2020
Hard to be eco friendly when crooks like Jack Dorsey, Mark Cuban and Andressenn Horowitz want to burn the planet with their climate killing scams.

Anyway another fat stonk market crash will come because Wally Street never learns a lesson. As long as they let End Timers like Bill Hwang and Cathie Wood handle billions of dollars we cross our fingers these nuts don’t turn everyone else into peanut butter.

• Love
Reactions: qoop

GeoStructural

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2016
Colombia
Indoor Live Mode is available on Android and iOS for a small number of malls in Chicago, Long Island, Los Angles, Newark, San Fransico, San Jose, and Seattle. In the coming months, Google says it will roll it out to airports, malls, and transit stations in Tokyo and Zurich, with other locations planned in the future.

Los Angles is my new favorite city in the U.S.

For real though, thanks to Google Maps you can visit LA without getting robbed.

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2019
My eco-friendly route is deleting everything Google from my devices. Will you take the eco-friendly route also, frens?
Whatever your thoughts on Google, how does this benefit the environment? Who btw has been carbon-neutral since 2007, and is aiming to be carbon-free by 2030.

qoop

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2021
THE UNITED KINGDOM
Hard to be eco friendly when crooks like Jack Dorsey, Mark Cuban and Andressenn Horowitz want to burn the planet with their climate killing scams.

Anyway another fat stonk market crash will come because Wally Street never learns a lesson. As long as they let End Timers like Bill Hwang and Cathie Wood handle billions of dollars we cross our fingers these nuts don’t turn everyone else into peanut butter.
Well said!

hot-gril

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2020
Northern California, USA
"As part of its effort to encourage users to reduce their carbon footprint"

Shut down Google on environmental grounds and reduce loads more? Corporates should stop lecturing the little people who are barely scraping by at the moment.
Google is CO2-neutral currently. I admit I don't understand how the credits work, so if there's some fudgery there, let us know.

hot-gril

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2020
Northern California, USA
Sweet! Love the eco route idea. Data nerds rejoice! I wonder if it takes into account the type of vehicle you drive. For instance most EVs, Toyota hybrids, etc. have greater efficiency in lower speed driving, while most fossil cars have greater highway efficiency.
I'll bet "eco-friendly" just means not taking the Waze-inspired extra-long routes that go through neighborhoods and alleyways instead of a freeway to avoid traffic jams. One thing they got right in San Jose is making those routes infeasible to begin with by having a tree-like road layout instead of a grid, meaning everyone but locals use expressways.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.