Google Maps Begins Rolling Out Support for Driver Speed Limits and Speed Traps

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 21, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Google is currently rolling out support for road speed limits and speed traps in its navigation app, Google Maps.

When drivers are using the app, the speed limit feature shows the speed limit of the road they are driving on in the lower left of the screen.

[​IMG]
    Image via Android Police

Speed traps are indicated with a small camera icon and shown on the visible map area. According to Android Police, Google Maps also gives drivers an audio warning as they approach a speed trap.

Up until now, Google restricted testing of its speed limit feature in the last couple of years to the San Francisco Bay Area in California and Rio de Janeiro in Brazil.

[​IMG]
    Image via Mashable

However, Android Police was recently tipped about speed limit sightings in New York City and Los Angeles, all but confirming the rollout has already begun in the U.S.

The speed limit feature is initially limited to users in the United Kingdom, Denmark, and the United States, while the speed camera icons should soon start appearing for users in several additional countries including Australia, Brazil, Canada, India, Indonesia, Mexico, and Russia.

(Via Mashable.)

Article Link: Google Maps Begins Rolling Out Support for Driver Speed Limits and Speed Traps

2. Enclavean macrumors regular

Enclavean

One of these is a surprise

3. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I looked at the headline and immediately thought this is going to be US only until I noticed the local screen shots.

I bet the people in Denmark are even more surprised. :)

4. hybroid macrumors regular

hybroid

Wonder if this is part of their plan to bring across WAZE functionality then shelve it.

5. youknome macrumors 6502

youknome

Can confirm this is available in the UK too, I found out whilst using it on the M6 last week.

Randomly warned me about speed cameras, very useful.

6. Dresling macrumors member

That’s for sure... but I’m not complaining. Usually we don’t get those features in the first rollout.

7. levitynyc macrumors 65816

This is great. I use Waze all the time for this.

I don't speed but it's nice to know if there's a cop short of quota who wants to pull me over for doing 55 in a 50.

Also, Waze saved my ass from hitting a mattress in the road once.

8. Token macrumors newbie

As a driver living in Denmark, I can confirm this comes as a pleasant surprise :)
    I didn’t notice any change on this morning’s commute, though.

9. Enclavean macrumors regular

Enclavean

Norway here, jealous. Currently using TomTom for speed cameras

10. brandscill macrumors 6502

11. techno96 macrumors member

NY Driver here, this was working for me this weekend on LI.

12. mrjohnnyglass macrumors member

mrjohnnyglass

This is what keeps me using Waze. I’m a stickler about driving exactly the speed limit using cruise control. I keep waze on a window mount so I always know whether I need to adjust. However, I like Google Maps way more than Waze. If they can build out the police/self-reporting functionality, I’m happy to switch back.

13. twistedpixel8 macrumors regular

twistedpixel8

Pretty sure that’s speeding lol

14. guinness8878 macrumors member

guinness8878

Yes.

15. Ferc Kast macrumors regular

Ferc Kast

So I wasn’t imagining that I saw a speed limit indicator on Friday while running errands.

16. JosephAW macrumors 68000

JosephAW

Been using Waze since the beginning for pizza delivery for being able to see street names by staying zoomed in on back roads map and for speed alerts as a Royalty Wazer with rank of 7900 and over 315K points.
    Last update broke Waze auto zoom and had to revert to previous version using iTunes with app support.

Will have to give Google Maps another try as long as it stays zoom in at all times.

As far as speeding? I can't wait until cars automatically are throttled by computers. Speeding is out of control in my area. People are driving around school busses with blinkers on on their side or other side of the streets, and going up to 85 in a 45 mph construction sites with speed detector signs flashing at them and riding my tail, beeping horns and flashing lights trying to make me go faster. No way, it says Speed Limit, not Speed Minimum!

I talked to my police officer and they said if I'm in accident for doing the speed limit I will not be the one charged. I'm trying to get them to enforce the speed limit. Also contact businesses when I see their company vehicle going 40mph over limits. Also utilizing a dash cam for my protection and to send businesses videos of their employees speeding.

17. genovelle macrumors 6502a

18. lewisb1 macrumors member

Any idea when it will come to the other countries mentioned?

19. nvmls macrumors 6502a

nvmls

20. Scottsoapbox macrumors 6502a

Scottsoapbox

And another premium feature of my luxury SUV comes to the masses for free.

21. genovelle macrumors 6502a

I have actually used Apple maps daily but also have used it for deliveries as far back as 2016 and it was as accurate as Waze, just no police warnings, but more accurate than Google on multiple occasions.

22. Pezboy macrumors member

Pezboy

Most shocking of all, apple maps has had speed limits for quite some time. It’s the only reason that I use apple maps instead of google maps. It odd for apple to be first on something.

23. BrianDK macrumors newbie

BrianDK

Can any danish readers confirm that this is actually working here?

24. B4U macrumors 68000

B4U

Come over to the city I am in.
    Got pulled over for doing 47 at a 45 zone when I was little younger.

25. Sasparilla, Jan 21, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2019

Sasparilla macrumors 65816

Its good to see Google catching up to Apple Maps on the speed limit feature, its so nice.

Waze (which Google owns but probably shouldn't because of Google Maps overwhelming marketshare) has had these features going way back (I always wondered why they didn't bring Waze's features over to Google Maps en masse way back when they bought it).