Google maps is never coming back to iOS

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by akadmon, Sep 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. akadmon macrumors 68010

a) Apple hates Google.
    b) There is already a map app in the App Store that is just about as good as Google Maps when it comes to accuracy and the wealth of POIs. It's called Bing.

Is this a fiasco for Apple? Am I pissed? Yes! I upgraded my iPhone 4s to iOS 6 one day before going on vacation out west (NP hopping), thinking I won't need to bring/rent a GPS device for turn-by-turn directions. But now I don't know if I can trust Apple Maps to keep me from getting lost in the desert! Good thing I still have my 3G iPad 1 that I will never be able to "upgrade" to iOS 56 :rolleyes:

2. bzavala macrumors member

3. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

Yup, just back on it myself on my iPad 3.

Would advise anyone wanting to downgrade to act quickly, as I can see 5.1.1 signing being stopped when the iPhone 5 launch day is over.

4. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

I didn't notice this mentioned (personally, I'm going to use Apple maps)...

At a glance, on iOS Safari go to: maps.google.com

Click the Safari arrow icon (the center-bottom icon: the one used, for instance, to email a link) & click the option that adds an icon to your home screen. Then you'll have a Google Maps "app" (well, it's simply a link to maps.google.com). I have not compared features between the webpage & the stand alone app, but the browser version seems to work well too...

I just updated to iOS 6 & like I said, I'm going to use Apple maps. Upon my initial testing, it seems ok to me & I expect improvements will come. It's brand new and it's not like we're dealing with Microsoft. This is high profile for Apple, I think they'll do what's necessary.

5. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

It's OK for me too. Even has a lot more local businesses data than Google. I guess they didn't lie when they said there're hundred of millions business data in it but I reported a lot of incorrect ones yesterday. Let's see how long it takes them to change it.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.