Google maps is never coming back to iOS

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by akadmon, Sep 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. akadmon macrumors 68020

Aug 30, 2006
    New England
    a) Apple hates Google.
    b) There is already a map app in the App Store that is just about as good as Google Maps when it comes to accuracy and the wealth of POIs. It's called Bing.

Is this a fiasco for Apple? Am I pissed? Yes! I upgraded my iPhone 4s to iOS 6 one day before going on vacation out west (NP hopping), thinking I won't need to bring/rent a GPS device for turn-by-turn directions. But now I don't know if I can trust Apple Maps to keep me from getting lost in the desert! Good thing I still have my 3G iPad 1 that I will never be able to "upgrade" to iOS 56 :rolleyes:
  2. bzavala macrumors member

Jun 14, 2012
  3. WeegieMac Guest

Jan 29, 2008
    Glasgow, UK
    Yup, just back on it myself on my iPad 3.

Would advise anyone wanting to downgrade to act quickly, as I can see 5.1.1 signing being stopped when the iPhone 5 launch day is over.
  4. macrem macrumors 65816

Mar 11, 2008
    I didn't notice this mentioned (personally, I'm going to use Apple maps)...

At a glance, on iOS Safari go to:

Click the Safari arrow icon (the center-bottom icon: the one used, for instance, to email a link) & click the option that adds an icon to your home screen. Then you'll have a Google Maps "app" (well, it's simply a link to I have not compared features between the webpage & the stand alone app, but the browser version seems to work well too...

I just updated to iOS 6 & like I said, I'm going to use Apple maps. Upon my initial testing, it seems ok to me & I expect improvements will come. It's brand new and it's not like we're dealing with Microsoft. This is high profile for Apple, I think they'll do what's necessary.
  5. matrix07 macrumors 601

Jun 24, 2010
    It's OK for me too. Even has a lot more local businesses data than Google. I guess they didn't lie when they said there're hundred of millions business data in it but I reported a lot of incorrect ones yesterday. Let's see how long it takes them to change it.
  6. maflynn Moderator

Staff Member

May 3, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.