Google Maps/Youtube Question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Packersfan27, Aug 7, 2009.

1. Packersfan27 macrumors 6502

Hi,

This may come off as a dumb question to some of you out there, but I was just curious after reading up on the whole Google Voice thing on the App Store.

Since Google owns Maps and Youtube, could they get Apple to remove those applications from the iPhone if they wanted? Or does Apple own some sort of license over those applications for a set time or something?

I am just curious about this :p

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Very unlikely. YouTube app only links you to videos on YouTube that have iPhone compatible videos. Maps app also does the same thing. It only links you to Google's servers to get the maps in a nice format.

If Google would like to block said services, they would have to impose a ban on all devices with iPhone identifiers on their servers. As for Apple, doing that will kill the iPhone as those are 2 very sought features of it.

3. Kyeris macrumors 6502

I really doubt google would ever do that. With so many people having iPhones nowadays if google was to remove access from those apps they might loos a lot of people that use other google services on the iPhone.

4. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Could they block access to map data and remove iPhone compatible YouTube videos?

Yes, they could. The cost of supporting the iPhone must be tremendous. Google pays for the map data and each routing request.

However, Google makes their money by having detailed advertising information, and the iPhone must be a gold mine for that.

Each time that an iPhone (or any phone) owner does a search, their location and request is recorded. (It can even be shown in realtime on a monitor, according to the Maps license.)

This information is invaluable, as it records where, when and what each requests are about. Then Google can turn around and charge those related businesses for targeted ads.

5. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

That's a main reason why Google won't block the iPhone. Remember, the iPhone commands 70% of World Mobile web traffic, so I guess its a big chunk of cash that Google sucks thanks to the iPhone.

6. Packersfan27 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the replies :)

Advertising is the answer I see