Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yinz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
Goorola.

Whats the betting it has a crap name though? I hope they drop the 'Nexus' name - it's a bit...well...crap. It's the sort of Xbox name you'd expect a 14 year old kid to use.

As long as its not something like "Motorola Google SMX0395" or some stupid codename type phone.

Edit: I'm betting it'll be called the Google Nexus X, followed by the Nexus X II and X II

How about the gUnit?

louis.b

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2012
Sydney
Some of you people that insist on Samsung copying still...

You make it seem like Apple invented everything they came out with and never copied anything... I can't.

I love Apple, but Apple isn't the holy spirit of innovation some of you claim them to be :mad:

Newsflash, Apple didn't create the universe. :rolleyes:

Also, this is good. More choices, more competition, more innovation. Hopefully Apple can actually do something, other than adding App integration on IOS7 and on their newer products.

We all know Apple does not invent anything, but they tremendously improved the hardware and software designs of smartphones since 2007. Samsung copied BOTH from numerous companies, from Nokia to Blackberry and now Apple. THey have a history and that's pathetic.

macnerd93

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2009
United Kingdom
I don't think its much of a worry if its anything like their previous attempts LOL.

So many people I know have gone from owning a cheap Android device and upgraded to the more expensive iPad or iPhone etc. Recently my aunt who had an Android tablet and it was useless, failed to switch on half of the time and needed to be reset, apps were slow and laggy, plus there wasn't any compatibility in terms of easy syncing with her Mac mini. She just got the new 4th Gen iPad, she's really impressed how easy and well everything integrates, thats why Apple devices work and sell so well.

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.
Most of the android hate has to be based on pre 4.0. My Touchpad, which was never intended to run android and has to be 'hacked' to run it, performs excellent with 4.1 jelly bean.

'Project butter' was a marked improvement from 4.0 to 4.1 as well.

I know anectodal evidence is anecdotal :p

My parents have just bought an Android tablet and I was pleasantly surprised at how well it ran. It was a bit sluggish at first, but after updating to 4.1 it's runs much more smoother. It was a basic cheap one at around £150. They got loads of freebies with it too - a leather cover, stylus, google store credit etc a

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Right. Post some numbers about other 5000 no name vendors with 5 000 000 000 crappy versions of the same thing and tell me how they are doing.

It's called a free market. Why would vendors putting out "5 000 000 000 crappy versions of the same thing" if there are "no profits" to be had? What you are saying makes no sense...unless..Maybe they are those special types of companies that enjoy not making profits?

Besides, Android is opensource, what is it you suggest should be done about this situation? Ask the no name Chinese manufacturers not to use code they have every right to use?

Last edited:

lobster68w

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2011
Well, unless Apple ups it's game by leaps and bounds, my next mobile will most certainly be a Samsung.

jimbo1mcm

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2010
In a perfect world...

If I could have put IOS 6 on my Galaxy S3, I might have kept it. The phone itself was nice. My Iphone 5 with IOS is better.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Have you been to Russia or are you just stuck in the 80's?
Seriously, you don't know conspicuous consumption if you haven't seen modern Russia...

Last time I was in Moscow I spent a lot of time in the area around Kitay-Gorod Metro station not too far from the Kremlin. Unbridled consumer extravagance everywhere..it was nuts...

Ramchi

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2007
India
Walled Garden is not bad after all!

Looks like everyone following Apple model to sustain profitability. Samsung has already started investing more on bada platform which may become separate platform, like RIM, Microsoft, soon Nokia might do the same after their recent success. We can find a consolidated hardware & software combo Apple, Google(Moto), Microsoft (Nokia), RIM, Samsung ....

Now all players may be busy to create their ecosystem similar to Apple before launching products.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada

jwdawso

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2002
Bias much? ..... But feel free to keep hating. From the tone of your rant - I can just imagine how much "quality" time you've spend using anything other than iOS.

His opinion was his experience with android. Your opinion is to attack his opinion. Who is the hater?

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
That's why I said MOST!!!!

I have to dispell FUD about Android all the time, and yet I own iOS devices exclusively. I still get called a Fandroid and I'm asked to leave by the Apple-FUD-spreading crowd all the time. :(

----------

We all know Apple does not invent anything, but they tremendously improved the hardware and software designs of smartphones since 2007. Samsung copied BOTH from numerous companies, from Nokia to Blackberry and now Apple. THey have a history and that's pathetic.

Apple does the same amount of "copying" if you really qualify what Samsung did as copying.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
Fandroid point of view:
The iPhone 5 is a joke compared to Nexus 4 and Galaxy S3 :D

Depends how you look at it. Some people might think that and their opinion would be equally as valid. Just because a graph says a phone is faster doesn't mean faster overall. Sure apps and such might load a few seconds faster but things in Android usually take less steps to complete.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
In the Chinese proverb sense, for AAPL shares, at least.

We'll still see lots of phones that don't use the latest builds. Heck, they're still selling phones with 2.3 that will never be updated.

I doubt Android "just works" anywhere near as well as OSX/iOS, so "better" is doubtful.

Here's the deal.

iOS is locked to a select few pieces of hardware, so as with the OS X line, Apple dont have to support as many platforms - that much we can both agree on.

The Android development team EOL'd 2.3 - so nobody should be making handsets that use it anymore.

Google has also stopped issuing GAPPS licenses to any developer still using 2.3.

Obviously you will always get cheap nockoff phones that will use low powered hardware, and try and cram Android onto it - they will perform terribly.

Now, if we look at "new Android", it's designed for higher end phones, so the likes of the S3, the Nexus 4, and the upcoming 'X' phone.

The idea is that yes, whilst older android builds tend to be badly fragmented and slow (due to crippled hardware), this is being resolved by only allowing GAPPS licensing on high-end hardware that is capable of running Android 4.x

So yes. Android in its newer form does "just work" and "just works" pretty damn well.

Maybe its not for you - that's fine. But the pathetic "its android, its ****, its slow, its a ripoff" comments are being made by 14 year olds without a clue. As someone who uses both iOS and Android on a daily basis for development, I feel I've got a slightly better view of both operating systems than someone who's spent 99% of their smartphone time on an iPhone.

Having used both operating systems both are good, and both have problems. Neither one of them comes across as being a stand out winner, but with the likes of the S3 on Android 4.x, it is actually a faster, and more accessible phone than the iPhone.

I'm not going to take idiotic "fandroid" or "fanboy" views here, and I'm certainly not going to give childish people the satisfaction of a pointless debate - I'm just talking from my own personal opinion having spent a hell of a lot of time using BOTH operating systems.

----------

I am not sure that you can call android the better OS, and definitely not undeniably.

In my opinion, 4.x is a better OS right now when compared to iOS6. This is based on extensive use of both operating systems. Not a quick look at a review and a 'mate told me it was crap' type of comments from people I dont know.

Last edited:

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
List 3 reasons why Android is "superior".

I can list reasons why its better for me, but of course they might not be relevant for other people.

I can download any file from the web browser
I can have access to the file system
I can have access to more than one app store
The notification centre is superior to iOSs
I can get a refund for an app if I don't like it
I can change the default apps

These are then things that jumped out at me as a new Android user, I'd previously been using iPhone since the iPhone 1 all the way to the iPhone 5.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
But the pathetic "its android, its ****, its slow, its a ripoff" comments are being made by 14 year olds without a clue.

As soon as I hear this alarm bells go off. It pretty much means the person either "read about it somewhere", or hasn't used a decent Android handset made within the last 12 months or so. Either way it means their "opinion" is at least a year out of date. It's really quite astounding the advances that Android has made in the year.

Why can't people just say "I use this phone simply because I prefer iPhone/Android"? Why do they feel the need to regurgitate FUD?

By the way, very good post - I agree with everything you said.

Plas00

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
Can't wait to start reading posts like:

"Samsung sues Google for x and y related their new mobile device"

and

"Google starts ditching Android licensees in favour of their own devices"

or

"Samsung forced to pay steep amounts of money to Google to keep the Android OS on their mobile devices"

and of course:

"Samsung to launch their own OS", "Google suing Samsung for ripping off Android features".

I am not a blogger nor a writer so maybe the titles would be chosen and worded differently but you get my point, I do hope it goes that far.

Karma is a bitch and the world have funny ways to go around =)

In the meantime and as always competition rocks and it is beneficial to the consumer.

Glad that everyone is keeping Apple on the edge while trying to get their own slice of the cake.

Pretty sure Sir Jonathan Paul "Jony" Ive will deliver a whole new modern and consistent look for iOS in the next couple of years if not sooner.

:):apple:

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Uh ? Galaxy S II LTE shipped November 2011, not summer 2012 :

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s_ii_lte_i9210-4124.php

Maybe, just maybe, you don't know what you're talking about ? :rolleyes:

Not sold in all markets, not sold on Verizon which actually had an LTE footprint in 2011, limited availability, not consistent across the product line in the USA.

Add it all up, and no one cared if it had LTE or not in 2011. People care now though.

What I find most amusing about the Nexus 4 is the irony of it because it's got all the things that made the iPhone 4S "outdated and unacceptable" in 2011

Glass back
No LTE
No expandable memory
No changeable battery
Worse battery life than it's predecessor

Yet now when there is a real competitive LTE market on a global scale and there are chipsets with pretty good battery on LTE "you don't need it".

Well if you don't need it now, you sure as hell didn't need it in 2011 when fandroids were frothing about the lack of LTE in the 4S.

Last edited:

semitry

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2008
Not sold in all markets, not sold on Verizon which actually had an LTE footprint in 2011, limited availability, not consistent across the product line in the USA.

Add it all up, and no one cared if it had LTE or not in 2011. People care now though.

What I find most amusing about the Nexus 4 is the irony of it because it's got all the things that made the iPhone 4S "outdated and unacceptable" in 2011

Glass back
No LTE
No expandable memory
No changeable battery
Worse battery life than it's predecessor

Yet now when there is a real competitive LTE market on a global scale and there are chipsets with pretty good battery on LTE "you don't need it".

Well if you don't need it now, you sure as hell didn't need it in 2011 when fandroids were frothing about the lack of LTE in the 4S.

It actually does have LTE, at least in Canada. I never read any complaints about the glass back being outdated and unacceptable.

The Bulge

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
Up your ass.
It's called a free market. Why would vendors putting out "5 000 000 000 crappy versions of the same thing" if there are "no profits" to be had? What you are saying makes no sense...unless..Maybe they are those special types of companies that enjoy not making profits?

Besides, Android is opensource, what is it you suggest should be done about this situation? Ask the no name Chinese manufacturers not to use code they have every right to use?

We are arguing if they are scraping the bottom of the barrel or not. The answer iS YES they are. I'm not interested in your rationalizations.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.