Google Navigation

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gpatrick15, Sep 25, 2010.

1. gpatrick15 macrumors regular

After using my iPhone 4 for the past few days, I love it. The experience is more than I expected. The only thing I miss about my Nexus was Google Nav. Is there any remote chance that it ever comes to iPhone? Worse comes to worse I'll just buy Tom Tom. But Google Nav was probably my favorite app on android. I'm pretty sure the chances are slim though...

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I can't imagine Google porting their navigation app to the iPhone as long a they have their own competing mobile OS. I'm not saying it won't happen, but it would be hard to believe.

3. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

Its not Google keeping their apps off of iOS. Its your Uncle Steve

4. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I highly doubt that in this case, as Apple currently has no direct competition with Google Navigation. Heck, Google maps is on the iPhone.

5. mlemonds macrumors 6502a

mlemonds

well, 30% of $40 (tom tom app) is more than 30% of free

6. alent1234 macrumors 603

after learning land navigation in the army, the regular google maps app is enough for me

7. dontworry macrumors 6502

dontworry

I think these turn-by-turn GPS devices are making people dumb. What is so hard about reading a map? I used to carry an atlas in truck but now I use my phone, although I wish I had an offline map app. I don't need to be told to turn, I just need to know what road I need to take.

8. gpatrick15 thread starter macrumors regular

So GPS users are dumb now? I'd have never guessed:rolleyes:

9. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

Sorry but you're wrong. Eric Schmidt has already said he has no plans on putting Google maps on the iPhone. Which is a shame because Google maps is the best GPS system right now and it's free.

10. alent1234 macrumors 603

we had turn by turn directions on army GPS receivers in the 1990's. only difference was that they would work without streets and in open land. if they don't have them now, i bet soldiers would kill for something like navigon or TomTom

11. fenderbass146 macrumors 65816

fenderbass146

Navigon is the way to go. ITs way better then google nav, yes ive used it i had a fascinate

12. anonymous guy macrumors 6502

Apple wouldn't approve it because it would cannibalize the sales of paid services like Tom Tom, Navigon and carrier services like AT&T Nav.

13. Schweitzer macrumors regular

LOL!

I can't stop laughing, dude!!!

14. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

So what it's not up to Apple to approve or disapprove an app because it's going to hurt sales of another app. That's AT&T an Tom Tom fault, make a better app. Like I said before it's up to Google if and when they want to release Google Nav.

15. ucdesai macrumors newbie

Just download the free Mapquest app. It gives turn by turn direction, has text to speech and also recalculates if you miss or take a wrong turn.

16. tesilential macrumors regular

This sucks compared to Navigon.

I love the maps search feature and the app itself opens instantly and grabs GPS quickly.

Navigon is uglier, but the view is much better for use while driving. Turn by turn is great and more useful than I could have imagined.

Using Maps while driving is a pain in the ass and I have a handheld Garmin so I know PITA.

Navigon's epic fail is the search function, which has trouble locating national landmarks 5 miles away.

The solution is to use the free app Around Me and search for destinations there, and have it open Navigon with the info prefilled.

You can also jailbreak and get Navigate from Maps for $2.

I would love it if my native Maps app could give me turn by turn and a decent 3d view for driving.

17. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

I don't think the Google Nav will ever come to the iPhone (or any other platform for that matter) since it is a major selling feature for Android.

Not because 'Apple thinks it'll cannibalize sales of TomTom or Navigon'.

18. cathyy macrumors 6502a

I agree with this actually. A lot of my friends only recently learnt how to drive (because we just hit the legal age) and most of them drive cars that have 3D turn by turn GPS navigation systems.

The problem with it is that they're just following the directions given blindly without any clue where they are going at all. They have absolutely no idea where the roads start and end and how all the different roads link up to one another. I don't think this is good at all, because in the event when the GPS screws up and gives them wrong directions they will just continue to follow it. If they realize the directions are wrong, they will simply end up lost and driving around aimlessly trying to find their route.

I sat in a friends car once. She would always rely on her GPS to guide her. There was one day we were driving along the highway and her GPS was lagging, so it was late in giving her directions and she missed her exit. So the system recalculated the route and told her to exit at the next exit and she did. It wanted us to make a U-Turn at the next traffic light to get back onto the highway, however it was late in giving us directions again. We were on the left most lane of a 4-lane road and all of a sudden the GPS tells us to 'right-turn here'. (note: This is in Singapore where we drive on the left side of the road) So she simply continued driving straight while waiting for her GPS to recalculate and give her new directions.

I absolutely love Google Maps due to the fact that you're able to view the whole map and zoom in and zoom out. This allows you to see how all the highways and major roads link up to one another. In contrast my friends still don't really know the roads so well because they only view small segments of the map at once. Without GPS navigation most of them have no idea how to drive to an unfamilar destination because they have no clue how to read maps, and usually have to rely on directions from other people.

GPS users aren't dumb. But people who rely solely on GPS-based turn by turn directions in order to get to a destination are.

19. Schweitzer macrumors regular

I agree too!

After learning how to use a phone in the army regular phone booths are enough for me.

I have a lot of friends who bought the iPhone 4, now they oftentimes have no reception. They are not used to other telecommunication devices like phone booths so now they have serious problems.

20. shandyman Suspended

what he said :)

21. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

It's basically already been said, but really, the good navigation apps on the iPhone are worth the money. Even if Google Nav was available, in its current state, I would still pay for Navigon - it's that much better.

22. mad-dog-one macrumors 6502

I travel to cities that are unfamiliar to me regularly and use a Garmin Nuvi GPS to navigate as efficiency as someone with resident understanding. If using my time efficiently so I arrive at meetings on time while avoiding frustrations inherent to traveling is dumb, I'll take dumb over the method that you're using.

23. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

I use Navigon and it works fine for me here in the bay area. Haven't used it yet in San Francisco but I'm sure I'll incur some problems

24. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

I have a problem with turn by turn apps. I could use a pen and paper to do a long equation, or go to a library and take out a cook book to learn to make a meal. Using technology to save time doesn't make you dumb.

25. dontworry macrumors 6502

dontworry

I guess dumb was a little harsh, I should have said dependent. Look, I use my phone, GPS, maps, laptops and all that jazz every day to get things done in a more efficient manner too but there is difference between knowing where you are at and blindly following a talking box.

http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/263195

http://www.azcentral.com/business/consumer/articles/0318biz-GPSDevices-18.html

And this is a video of the smartest guy I know blindly following a GPS.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yyKrS8jwSY#t=0m18s