Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 1, 2009
So I watched Google's promo video on the Nexus-S and it was dizzying. After a while I thought I was watching an advertisement for shoes. Then I decided to checkout Google's site.

All I have to say is that I'm noticing as many marketing missteps with this iteration of "Nexus" as the last one....

1) T-Mobile release (limited customer base).

2) Promo videos that don't show much of what Gingerbread can do. Are Justin Mattso, Simon Wilson, and Mike Lebeau the best spokesmen they could get? Not to mention the promo videos are showing me the closed-captioned text right on top of those screen shots of the new interface he is talking about.

3) Erosion of the Android brand name by marketing "Gingerbread" so heavily instead of "Android". The video with the kid and gingerbread cookies is cute, but are most people even going to understand that Gingerbread is the new version of Android? Do most people know that Froyo was the last version?

So once I get past the marketing missteps, here is what I gathered:

- Memory is the same as the iPhone-4

- Screen is larger, but resolution is less than iPhone-4

- Processor looks comparable to iPhone-4 (though I don't know the exact benchmarks here -- no dual core)

- Voice activated features seem to be the best thing here, though if you are like me you find that you don't like using these sort of features in public places -- best used in the car through a headset.

- Nexus-S is "unlocked by default" and will work with "any GSM carrier" -- that's a plus.

- Camera on Nexus-S is 5MP, but no mention of backlit sensor or HDR (I'm sure you can get an HDR app for it). Camera on iPhone-4 is incredible because of the backlit sensor.

- Curved screen looks nice on the Nexus-S (not sure if this contributes to the "75% less glare" they boast).

Hopefully somebody will produce some better demo videos for Nexus-S than Google did, so we can see some of these features in action. So far I see nothing in this phone that makes it notable other than it runs "Gingerbread" or "Android 2.3" -- I'm not sure that's going to catch the attention of the non-techie masses in the world.

caf9128

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2007

Yep. But easily and cheaply expandable with Micro SD cards

Yep. Superior resolution goes to the iPhone. Although I hear the color and color saturation of the Samsung display are superb.

- Processor looks comparable to iPhone-4 (though I don't know the exact benchmarks here -- no dual core)

I think the processor will run faster in the Nexus S. This has also meant worse battery life, though rumor has it that battery life is much better in the Nexus S than previous high end Android phones

- Voice activated features seem to be the best thing here, though if you are like me you find that you don't like using these sort of features in public places -- best used in the car through a headset.

The voice activated features and texting in Android phones work REALLY well.

- Nexus-S is "unlocked by default" and will work with "any GSM carrier" -- that's a plus.

Especially nice for European and world travellers.

- Camera on Nexus-S is 5MP, but no mention of backlit sensor or HDR (I'm sure you can get an HDR app for it). Camera on iPhone-4 is incredible because of the backlit sensor.

- Curved screen looks nice on the Nexus-S (not sure if this contributes to the "75% less glare" they boast).

The Nexus also shares the active noise suppression of the previous Nexus version. Best in the business. Makes for astonishingly quiet calls even in a noisy background. Apple needs to do a better job of this.

Tarzanman

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
Hardware-wise, the new Nexus S isn't anything to write home about if you're already an Android fan. It has pretty much the same exact base specs as the Vibrant/Captivate/Fascinate, the Incredible and the Evo.

As a matter of fact, the Nexus S is basically a Samsung Vibrant with an LED flash and a front-facing camera but minus the microSD card slot.

Comparison here - http://www.google.com/phone/compare/?phone=samsung-vibrant-a-galaxy-s-phone&phone=nexus-s

The near field communication sensor for phone-based transactions will be an important feature in the future, but the phone itself isn't breaking any new ground yet.

The Nexus S will have Gingerbread (Android 2.3), but so will every other Galaxy S device within a few weeks once the hackers get their hands on it.

This phone is a worthy upgrade if you're new to Android, or have an Android phone that is a year old. If not, you're not getting enough new stuff for your money ($530 off contract).

aohus

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2010
sky
everyone just wait for the dual core phones to come out early next year.

you will get better battery life, less power consumption, faster CPU, faster GPU, everything.

mlts22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2008
To me, here is my take on the Nexus-S.

Pros:

Easily rootable with oem-unlock command.
Easy to get and make custom flash images.

Cons:

No SD card. 16GB is it. This is inexcusable, because it should at least have a MicroSD slot so one can add 32GB SDHC cards.

So, because of its lack of storage space, I would pass. Had it have a MicroSD card option, it would definitely be something to get.

TruckdriverSean

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2009
Texas, US
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Tarzanman said:
Hardware-wise, the new Nexus S isn't anything to write home about if you're already an Android fan. It has pretty much the same exact base specs as the Vibrant/Captivate/Fascinate, the Incredible and the Evo.

As a matter of fact, the Nexus S is basically a Samsung Vibrant with an LED flash and a front-facing camera but minus the microSD card slot.

Comparison here - http://www.google.com/phone/compare/?phone=samsung-vibrant-a-galaxy-s-phone&phone=nexus-s

The near field communication sensor for phone-based transactions will be an important feature in the future, but the phone itself isn't breaking any new ground yet.

The Nexus S will have Gingerbread (Android 2.3), but so will every other Galaxy S device within a few weeks once the hackers get their hands on it.

This phone is a worthy upgrade if you're new to Android, or have an Android phone that is a year old. If not, you're not getting enough new stuff for your money ($530 off contract).

That's pretty much my thoughts on the Nexus-S as well. I was hoping for a really groundbreaking device (like the Nexus-1 was compared to the other Android handsets at the time) but basically it's a Galaxy-S with NFC. Cool, but not something that is really going to move a lot of units IMHO. While a much less carrier-screwed version of Android is cool and all, If i wanted an Android phone I'd just get a subsidized Galaxy-S on my carrier of choice and get it rooted to plain Gingerbread.

It does remind us though that the REAL customer remains the carriers. Why, after all the hubbub over AT&T-locked iPhones would Google/Samsung not get this new Android flagship on EVERY carrier? Well, the carriers are still in control, that's why. :(

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I don't know much about Android phones but I DO know that the best and most exciting new phones these days seem to come from companies controlling everything from top to bottom. For example: Apple, RIM, and poor old Palm. Based on that alone I would say that the one Android phone I'd be interested in would be a Google-designed Android phone.

And if that's your deal then this is gonna be your only choice for now.

So forget the tech specs. If anyone comes to me and says "What Android should I buy?" I'll be pointing them to the Nexus S.

(And, of course, an iPhone would still be my first advice, but if someone already has their mind made up, I'm not going to change it.)

dccorona

macrumors 68020
Jun 12, 2008
So I watched Google's promo video on the Nexus-S and it was dizzying. After a while I thought I was watching an advertisement for shoes. Then I decided to checkout Google's site.

All I have to say is that I'm noticing as many marketing missteps with this iteration of "Nexus" as the last one....

1) T-Mobile release (limited customer base).

2) Promo videos that don't show much of what Gingerbread can do. Are Justin Mattso, Simon Wilson, and Mike Lebeau the best spokesmen they could get? Not to mention the promo videos are showing me the closed-captioned text right on top of those screen shots of the new interface he is talking about.

3) Erosion of the Android brand name by marketing "Gingerbread" so heavily instead of "Android". The video with the kid and gingerbread cookies is cute, but are most people even going to understand that Gingerbread is the new version of Android? Do most people know that Froyo was the last version?

So once I get past the marketing missteps, here is what I gathered:

Hopefully somebody will produce some better demo videos for Nexus-S than Google did, so we can see some of these features in action. So far I see nothing in this phone that makes it notable other than it runs "Gingerbread" or "Android 2.3" -- I'm not sure that's going to catch the attention of the non-techie masses in the world.

Nexus handsets are supposed to be more for developers than mass market consumption. It's available for ATT if you buy it unlocked. The hardware is really the most unimportant thing here. How it compares to the iPhone will be entirely dependent on how nice "gingerbread" is

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
The Nexus also shares the active noise suppression of the previous Nexus version. Best in the business. Makes for astonishingly quiet calls even in a noisy background. Apple needs to do a better job of this.
The iPhone 4 already has an active noise suppression setup that works very well (the second mic is at the top of the phone).

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-gb; GT-P1000 Build/FROYO) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Internally the upgrades are welcomed but some of the decisions (no sd card slot for instance) is puzzling. It doesn't really seem to be a leap above the iPhone 4 either.

If I were to upgrade soon I'd probably go for this as the modding community really embraced the N1 so it potentially has a good future in that respect.

I'll see how Gingerbread does on my N1 before I decide. :)

Its available in the UK on Vodafone for £35 per month for free which is well within my budget.

Tarzanman

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
I'm still considering getting it. The no microSD card slot is going to be a deal breaker for me though... I have about 8 movies and a few hundred photos and songs on my Vibrant already (16GB internal plus a 16GB microSD card)

I'd probably have to get rid of the movies. boo

nanotlj

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2008
I am wondering why Nexus S does not feature its Flash support.
Does it support Flash anyway?

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
No, they don't.

The original iPhone is still more responsive and fluid than any android UI out there. Users don't use bare metal. Users use software.

Software matters.

While I agree with the sentiment, have you used your 2G/3G lately ;).

deeesea

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2010
On a side note, I don't know why google released the nexus S. Firstly, there's already what feels like 1230192381092 of the same phone on different carriers, rebranded as vibrants, captivates and what not. It's the exact same hardware spec sheet minus one or two things here and there. What really matters is the processors and clock speeds, and those are all the same.

Given the awesome people @ XDA-Devs, a port of gingerbread or any new google android OS revision would be done fast and available to most "mainstream/highpowered" android devices. I mean when I had the nexus one, I was running an early RC build of froyo before the official thing was pushed to the nexus one. So why even bother releasing a rebadged captivate/vibrant using this years hardware? The nexus one has long been discontinued, but it's not like it's hardware is irrelevant in the "google world". It's still mighty capable to run all the new revisions google will push out.

I think it would've made much more sense to push out the nexus whatever in 2011 when the new tegra 2 processors come out, send out a device that REALLY sets the standard and have all the other manufacturers catch up to it and thus make android even better. Kinda like the nexus one with it's 1ghz processor, which at the time was one of the only android (if not the only) devices to have under the hood.

Overall, I'm more concerned about the software revision of 2.3 than I am about the nexus S. I'm excited for 2.3, can't wait to be back on the android boat and checking it out.

EDIT: It's nice to see some apple users who keep an open mind to the tech world that isn't apple. And I was just beginning to think that a good chunk of apple users are tards. xD

Last edited by a moderator:

aohus

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2010
sky
I think it would've made much more sense to push out the nexus whatever in 2011 when the new tegra 2 processors come out, send out a device that REALLY sets the standard and have all the other manufacturers catch up to it and thus make android even better. Kinda like the nexus one with it's 1ghz processor, which at the time was one of the only android (if not the only) devices to have under the hood.

Its coming. Don't worry :p

Android is good with substantive updates. Its been one year since 2.1 came out. There have been 3 major updates to Android OS (2.1, 2.2, 2.3) in a year. Thats pretty good.

Honeycomb will be out by early next year, so all we have to do is wait!

smartbot

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2009
I'm not sure what they were thinking with this phone. The two big cons are that it doesn't support 720p video capture and doesn't have a micro-SD card slot (so you are stuck with 16GB). Also, the unlocked version is pretty unusable outside of T-Mobile (since it doesn't support AT&T's 3G network band). The only real exciting hardware addition is the NFC chip.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
Nexus S looks like a nice phone. Probably the best version of the Galaxy S family. At least it has anti-fingerprint coating, LED flash, and a front camera. The curved back doesn't make it wobble. Much cooler than I expected, but it still isn't all that revolutionary. If you were thinking of a Galaxy S and don't have it yet or don't want to be bogged down to a carrier, this version should be the best version for it. At least you can get your updates first. Most phones will be going 1.2Ghz dual-core by early year. If the battery life was mind blowing like it lasted 3-4X as long as an iPhone 4, I would be interested. But isn't. No memory slot and only 16GB. There will be plenty of awesome phones coming out in 2011. Everything having dual core, Tegra 2, QNX, Meego, PlayStation games, and 3D screens similar to the 3DS that Sharp is making. Nexus S isn't that big of an upgrade from a Nexus One.

The company to look out for in making a comeback is RIM! Has anyone seen their Playbook in action? Most BB phones will likely shift to QNX. They recently purchased TAT.

Check these 3D interfaces from TAT on Android.

3D Maps
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVt_fGn7f90

3D Contacts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pxrb0BiQMMw&feature=related

Widgets
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXzEEwZXsNs&feature=fvst

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.