Google Photo Auto Backup with new Apple Photos app

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by smacman, Apr 14, 2015.

1. smacman macrumors 6502

I realise this is more of a question about Google software than Apple software however I figured it is worth a shot.

In the past I have used the Google+ Auto Backup utility to keep my iPhoto library synced with Google Photos in the cloud. Does anyone know if there is a way to make this work with the new Photos App?

2. InAustralia macrumors 6502

InAustralia

I had the same questions and started another thread here. http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/google-photos-backup.1887752/#post-21385334

Unfortunately that thread seems to have been derailed by a troll who is complaining about Google's T&C's.

Since posting that query though, I started using the Google Photos Backup App (GPB) and it seems to be able to read the Photos Library just fine.

I deselected all options other than my Pictures folder (which has both my Photos Library), and the GPB is correctly uploading my photos. When I also choose to upload iPhoto, the number of photos being backed up doubles, so I suggest just selecting your Pictures folder.

I know it is accessing my Pictures folder as photos which are only stored in the Photos application have been uploaded.

Hope this helps and hope the troll in the other thread does not try to hijack this thread too!

3. Anijake macrumors 6502

Anijake

https://plus.google.com/102522085243103635020/posts/GbvAzb2RkqA

There appears to be some compatibility issues with the new Photos app and Auto Backup. As a temporary workaround, what you can do is create a symlink to your Photos library's Masters folder that Auto Backup will allow you to select. To do this:

> Find your Photos library in Finder. This will usually be in your Picturesfolder.

> Right click (CMD click) on your Photos library and choose Show Package Contents.

> Open the Terminal app.

> Type (or copy and paste, no quotes) "cd pictures" and hit Enter on your keyboard. This will change the directory to your pictures folder.

> Type (or copy and paste, no quotes) "ln -s " into the terminal (that's LN [space] -S [space])

> Go back to your Finder window. Click and drag the Masters folder into the Terminal window. This will enter the location of the Masters folder into Terminal.

> Hit Enter on your keyboard. You should now have a folder that can be selectable by Auto Backup.

4. Razeus, Jun 3, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2015

Razeus macrumors 601

I trust Google more than Apple with my photos.

For one, Apple doesn't understand web services. Google has it down cold.

Second, Apple's "privacy" is a joke. Ask the female celebs that got hacked. I never heard of anyone breaking into any Google accounts to leak photos.

3rd, Apple software outside of their OS's, are half baked. Just enough to make it work, then features just stagnate. Google does wayyyy more with your photos automatically. In this day and age, Apple still wants me to do all the work.

In the end, when I compare Apple's offerings to Google's, Google always wins. Their software/services are robust - even for "free". GMail beats Mail. Google Maps beats Apples any day. Google Drive is clearly superior to iCloud. Google Photos clearly does way more out of the box than Apple's Photos.

I'll stick to Apple hardware, yet use Google's software. The best of both worlds.

5. InAustralia macrumors 6502

InAustralia

Thanks for the tip, but I tried this before and it does not work for me.

Whilst it does allow the "Masters" folder to be selectable, the change does not stick. Once I go back into Preferences in the Google Photos Backup App, the Masters folder is no longer selected.

As mentioned before, it does not seem to matter for me anyway as just selecting the "Pictures" folder works for me and the Google Photos Backup App correctly extracts photos stored in the Photos App.

6. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Can anyone help me out here? A couple questions...
    1) I have Google Photos Backup pointed to my "Pictures" folder, which has only one thing in it, my Photos Library. It says "All Photos Backed Up." I.E.... Nothing backed up.
    2) I have my Photos library sync'd on two macs, via iCloud. If I install the Google Photos Backup tool on both, I'm thinking it will upload on both, but then automatically kill the duplicates, right?