Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Google Photos users on iPhone and iPad will soon be able to lock their most sensitive images in a special passcode-protected folder, thanks to a new feature coming to the iOS app (via The Verge).

google-photos-locked-folder.jpg

Currently exclusive to Pixel phones, the privacy-oriented Locked Folder feature allows users to save photos and videos in the app within a separate space that requires a passcode or fingerprint to access.

Media saved in the folder remains hidden, meaning the sensitive photos don't show up as users scroll through their Google Photos or any other apps on their device. Google says the feature is coming to iOS "early next year."

Importantly, at least as it currently works on Pixel Phones, any cloud backups of items placed in the Locked Folder are automatically deleted from Google's servers.

Google touts its photo and video backup service as "a safe home for life's memories," thanks to the "world-class security" and encryption it uses "to protect the photos that you back up or share."

Despite those safeguards, last year Google was forced to contact some 100,000 users to inform them that some of their private videos backed up on its servers had been accidentally sent to strangers due to a "technical issue."

Apple still doesn't offer an equivalent feature is its native Photos app for iOS. It does include an option to hide certain photos from the main library in a "Hidden" folder which can be literally hidden in the Photos app, but even so, the album can still be seen when the image picker is used in third-party apps, so it's not completely invisible from prying eyes.

Article Link: Google Photos 'Locked Folder' Feature for Pixel Phones Coming to iOS

Last edited:

andrewxgx

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2018
Is there another usable app without subscription ******** that offers such festure for hidden photo/video? Asking for a friend
Cryptomator for encrypting your stuff on the could. not sure if usable enough for what you want though.

InsideApple

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2020
Cryptomator for encrypting your stuff on the could. not sure if usable enough for what you want though.
Thanks for that.
Actually just an app like Photos, iCloud supported, to put some pics/vids that I don‘t want to be in my regular library. Like a photo vault app. So far I just found crappy apps pr with subscription stuff…

Reactions: smoking monkey

somnolentsurfer

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2008
I've no need to have backups of my stuff removed from iCloud, but it does somewhat defeat the point of having a hidden photos album if anyone with access to the device can just unhide it at any time without authenticating.

hortod1

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2009
Is there another usable app without subscription ******** that offers such festure for hidden photo/video? Asking for a friend
You may not pay for it with a monetary subscription, you do however pay for it when you agree to their terms and conditions. Google’s original business model was based on prying eyes and it worked extremely well for them. Hard sell to convince me that’s still not the case, despite their new-found ethics

Lets Go

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2017
Upstate NY
You may not pay for it with a monetary subscription, you do however pay for it when you agree to their terms and conditions. Google’s original business model was based on prying eyes and it worked extremely well for them. Hard sell to convince me that’s still not the case, despite their new-found ethics

As the saying goes.... "If you don't pay for the product, you are the product"..

darkpaw

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2007
London, England
"Open Locked Folder ... Using your current device screen lock option"?! This is just too bland a sentence. This is why I don't bother with Android. The people writing this stuff think that everyone using Android is technical and wants every interaction with it to be technical, and thus must like this lengthy nonsense sentence talking a load of technical bollox, rather than something like "Open Locked Folder ... " and then just the image for the unlock metho. On iOS it would just come up with the Touch ID logo, or say, "Use Touch ID to unlock".

Why do they do this? Android is so pedestrian and boring. Urgh.

Reactions: Morgenland

GermanSuplex

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2009
Can anyone explain to a simpleton like me what it means that the photos will be deleted from Google's servers? Don't they already live there in Google Photos? Or will any photos in the folder be downloaded locally and removed from the servers?

andrewxgx

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2018
Thanks for that.
Actually just an app like Photos, iCloud supported, to put some pics/vids that I don‘t want to be in my regular library. Like a photo vault app. So far I just found crappy apps pr with subscription stuff…
I only use this on desktop, but probably will work similar on iOS - it creates another drive accessible by file browser when you can put your stuff on.

Reactions: InsideApple
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.