Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BeatsByTim

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2014
Kids? Or people who live in more restrictive communities? Can you seriously not think of scenarios where locking away some photos might be useful?
I'm sure people taking pictures of medical documents/ids would like such a feature. A lot of people do send sexy pictures to each other. A few celebrities got their icloud accounts hijacked several years ago and had compromising photos leaked. I think better security around that stuff is a great thing.

incoherent_1

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2016
Making it so anybody who has your passcode can access all of your passwords and photos without any additional authentication? Hahahahaha
The fact that you think it’s a “one or the other” choice just shows how little you understand about encryption and security.

Daum

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2015
With Samsung's Secure Folder, I can confidently hand my phone over to my gf or even leave it unlocked. She doesn't know I have whats app, bumble and tinder in my secure folder. Hahahah jkjk

• Wow
Reactions: smoking monkey

bradman83

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2020
Buffalo, NY
Can anyone explain to a simpleton like me what it means that the photos will be deleted from Google's servers? Don't they already live there in Google Photos? Or will any photos in the folder be downloaded locally and removed from the servers?
Google Photos works much like Apple’s Photos app on iOS and Mac in that you don’t have to sync your photos to the cloud, you can use Google Photos to manage locally stored content only that will never go to Google’s servers.

Reactions: GermanSuplex

mrat93

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2006
Despite those safeguards, last year Google was forced to contact some 100,000 users to inform them that some of their private videos backed up on its servers had been accidentally sent to strangers due to a "technical issue."
I don’t think this is accurate. This wasn’t a leak related to locked folders. In the context of that article, “private photos” refers to photos not made public.

Reactions: TheSapient

TheSapient

macrumors regular
May 26, 2017
I don’t think this is accurate. This wasn’t a leak related to locked folders. In the context of that article, “private photos” refers to photos not made public.
Also, that number is not supported by MR's own reporting. All anyone knows is that less than .01% of people using Google Takeout over a few day period got a video that was not theirs. We don't know how many that is, or even if many people had their video(s) distributed. Just that a tiny fraction of users of a specific tool over a specific period got something they should not have.

BGPL

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2016
California
Apple offering a solution like this would be like admitting their current phone is not secure, which is why you won't see anything like this from Apple. Meanwhile, Android has had the secure folder for years, which allows a second encrypted enclave that can contain it's own gallery and apps. This is different from Knox.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.