Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
Speaking of 3D Touch, the killer function of it is the ability to move your cursor around a block of editable text so much faster than the tap and pray method.
So very much looking forward to upgrading from a 6 to a 7s to get this feature (I mean, sure, it's not the main reason, but I'm really looking forward to it).

Tooldog

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2017
It was my primary way of switching apps since the 6s launched and on my 7 Plus, for me it worked 100% of the time so I'm really disappointed it was removed.

If they want it off by default fine, but they could at least add a toggle to turn it on again.

The feature was removed as a software update to prevent having to replace phones with under performing hardware.

frankgrimes

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2016
Wrong decision Google. Happy that HTC has increasing sales but a Pixel with no headphone jack, sd card slot but a squeeze feature? The Note 8 and Mate 10 will trump this phone easily

Chicane-UK

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2008
The point is getting weaker by the day. Once you go wireless you just won't come back, ever again.

Afraid not. Had several sets of Bluetooth earphones... find myself coming back to wired phones every time.
[doublepost=1502961515][/doublepost]
Do you remember what Steve Balmer felt about the iPhone? When he laughed at the first model and said "I just don't see it being an acceptable business phone because it doesn't have a keyboard."

We all know how that turned out.

The point is change sometimes takes time. Who knew the floppy would become obsolete or CD's? Change occurs. Assimilate or stay with the thoughts of the "golden days". However while you're waiting for the past to never return technology is still progressing.

I don't know why people keep trotting out this analogy... EVERYONE else apart from Steve Ballmer knew the iPhone was going to be a game changer but I think he was so blinded by Microsofts inability to innovate in the same way at that point in time that he just refused to accept it. Or he saw it and knew they were screwed so went with a (poor) bluff.

Same for the elimination of the DVD drive in computers.. streaming was already ramping up, and if you needed to plug in an optical drive it was no drama as you had multiple USB ports.

The headphone jack removal just isn't in the same league. It's not holding anyone back.. Apple can still push ahead with developing great wireless headphones.

I am not some kind of tech luddite.. I embrace new technology when I see it as beneficial. I own more than my share of modern tech. But looking at pros and cons of deletion of the headphone port, primarily I see negatives. And speaking as someone on holiday this week and having had to juggle between charging and using the lighting port for headphones, it's been a pain in the backside.

Reactions: aylk and samden

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
Seems like Touch id will be on the back of the Phone again, Atleast Google should focus on trying to put the finger print sensor under the display instead of adding gimmicks like squeezable Sides.

I'm more the market for this phone most anyone on this board and I prefer the sensor on the back. Putting the sensor on the front would drive to the Essential.

firewire9000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2015
How is that possible considering the Pixel 2 looks almost identical to the previous version? It appears the Pixel 2 XL will be different however (removing the bezels and changing the aspect ratio to make it easier to handle). In both cases, I don't see how the new Pixels are "uglier".

Enormous camera that looks like an VGA trying to look like it has more megapixels or the two colour back that doesn’t match to me? Or maybe the gigantic speaker without any personality in the front? Or the front camera that is so far away that it almost looks that gonna fall apart. Or maybe that huge bezels that can hold perfectly a rouned fingerprint and even with that they placed in the back? Or maybe the stupid lateral buttons too at the bottom that it will be probably uncomfortable to use.

There are so many things wrong with this phone.

samden

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2015
You know Apple has been removing I/O for decades and everyone eventually follows.

Floppy disks, CD drives, headphone jack, PS/2 ports, parallel ports etc. Next we'll have everyone using USB-C.

Let's not also forget the Flash outrage.
Except better and viable alternatives were already established when Apple made those changes. Wireless audio just isn't ready yet.

Reactions: aylk

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
Enormous camera that looks like an VGA trying to look like it has more megapixels or the two colour back that doesn’t match to me? Or maybe the gigantic speaker without any personality in the front? Or the front camera that is so far away that it almost looks that gonna fall apart. Or maybe that huge bezels that can hold perfectly a rouned fingerprint and even with that they placed in the back? Or maybe the stupid lateral buttons too at the bottom that it will be probably uncomfortable to use.

There are so many things wrong with this phone.
Again, how do these things make it uglier than the original Pixel? The design hasn't changed at all except minor changes (like the Xl removing side bezels). And the "enormous camera"? The iPhone 7 Plus camera bump begs to differ.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.