Google Pixel 3 'Lite' Shows Up in Video Leak

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 17, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Google's answer to the iPhone XR appears to be close to launch in the form of a more affordable version of its flagship Pixel 3 smartphone, if a new video leak is accurate.

[​IMG]

Andro News apparently got hold of a pre-production unit of the upcoming mid-range phone, which is dubbed Pixel 3 "Lite". The device closely resembles Google's high-end Android phone from the front, but the big difference is its plastic rear, which is likely more durable than the metal and glass chassis on the Pixel 3.

The upcoming phone is said to use a 5.56-inch 2,220 x 1,080 LCD display instead of an OLED panel, along with a Snapdragon 670 processor, 32GB of storage, 4GB of RAM, and a long-life 2,915 mAh battery. Notably, the device also includes a headphone jack, something that was removed for the Pixel 3.

Perhaps the bigger news though is that the "Lite" model uses the same 12-megapixel camera and optically-stabilized lens as the Pixel 3, which has received high praise across the board for its photographic capabilities. (Regular MacRumors readers may recall our Google Pixel 3 XL vs. iPhone XS Max comparison found that the devices offer comparable camera quality overall, with only a few differences between shooting modes.)

Andro News claims the new phone takes "the same quality photos as the Pixel 3," although given that much of Google's image-processing is software based, it's impossible to say how the cheaper model's mid-range Snapdragon SoC will affect real-world camera performance.

There's been no word on the exact pricing for Google's upcoming Pixel phone, which is expected to come in two sizes, but considering the Pixel 3 starts at $799, there's a good chance the smaller model will undercut Apple's iPhone XR, which starts from $749.

In other differences described in the video leak, the "Lite" model has only one front-facing camera whereas the Pixel 3 has two, the additional autofocus sensor on the back is missing, and there's no additional front-facing speaker on the "Lite".

Google usually makes its big hardware announcements during Google I/O which is held in the spring, so we'll probably have to wait until then for more information unless the leaks keep coming.

Article Link: Google Pixel 3 'Lite' Shows Up in Video Leak

2. jk1211 macrumors 6502

Unless it's $300-400 there are other phones in the $500-600 range (where this is likely to fall) that are much better specs (845 processor, more storage, more RAM, bigger battery) and build (not plastic). OnePlus, Xiaomi, Huawei etc.

The Pocophone is a much better choice over this at under $400 with better specs. You can even get 2018 flagships in that range now like the Galaxy S9 with better specs for that $500ish mark.

This phone doesnt make much sense unless it is super budget pricing; which is unlikely.

3. Suttree macrumors member

Suttree

It's so beautiful. Look at the elegance of the corner radius. You can sense the care that was taken into designing this object. You can sense the precision and the deliberation of the design. This care and artisanal execution elevates this from mere tool to a work of modern art.

4. max.ine macrumors regular

max.ine

If it wasn’t made by Google, I’d consider it.

5. Dragonlord_66 macrumors member

Dragonlord_66

So weird that this keeps happening. Its almost as if google deliberately “leaks” them

6. dominiongamma macrumors 65816

7. jk1211 macrumors 6502

Pixel count means very little.

8. dominiongamma macrumors 65816

Saw the video before and people still defending 720 p in a device in 2019 is sad because 1080p should be a minimum for a lower end phone now. But if this was reversed Apple fans would destroy Google for not putting in 1080.

9. jk1211 macrumors 6502

Clearly you still dont or wont get it that pixel count means little. Quality of the panel means much more than number of pixels.

The Pixel 2XL was a good example of that, high pixel count crap LG panel.

10. dominiongamma macrumors 65816

Sorry some people can see differences, that’s like saying 720 and 1080 is no difference but it’s a major difference. If that’s the case Apple would have not increased the pixel count on the XS Max.

11. whyamihere macrumors 6502

whyamihere

12. Jakewilk macrumors regular

The pocophone is the perfect example of a phone that is all specs and no performance. It’s OLED display is apparently objectively worse than the sub 1080p XR

13. Aston441 macrumors 65816

You're lucky your eyesight is not that great and you can't tell the difference. You can enjoy lower quality screens and not be frustrated at the junk screen on the XR the way people with excellent vision are.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 17, 2019 ---
    I guess you think "liquid Retina" means more than rounded corners?

14. avatar77 macrumors member

Surprised that Google brought the courage jack back. I wonder if some early Pixel 3 adopters are going to have buyer's remorse when this thing drops for $599.

15. drinkingtea, Jan 17, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2019

drinkingtea macrumors regular

drinkingtea

The Pixel 3 and the Pixel 3 XL sound like a dumpster fire. These phones are making even loyal Google users switch to iOS/other Android phones. I can’t see how these phones will be any better.

Ugly, outdated design. Plastic. 32GB storage. 4GB of RAM. Good luck selling this, Google.

16. macdragonfl macrumors 6502a

macdragonfl

No one is defending 720p because the Xr is not 720p. It is 828p. You seem to be the only one left that does not know that. That's is really sad.

17. drinkingtea macrumors regular

drinkingtea

Most XR owners don’t even know this.

18. magicschoolbus macrumors 65816

magicschoolbus

My parents went from a 6s and 7 to an XR and don't even notice the screen quality... people on these forums just rip it becuase it's a cheaper device. The XR is a great deal.

19. GrumpyMom macrumors 604

GrumpyMom

Actually my husband has switched from his XS Max to his Pixel 3XL. It’s been a good experience for him. Where Google has problems is maintaining consistently high quality and reliability over large volumes of output.

I am still impressed at how much they improved since last year. They continue to conduct customer surveys and I expect them to become a formidable player in a couple of years. Assuming they don’t lose interest in this project, as is their unfortunate habit.

This lite version is designed to fill a niche and if it’s priced right I would imagine it will capture a lot of low cost android phone customers who have been frustrated by lack of updates for their phones and by poor camera quality. A phone like this will be a treat for them.

No it’s not going to steal away many iPhone customers. It’s not meant to. It’s just Google seeing some money on the table and going for it. I hope they are smart about the pricing.

20. dominiongamma macrumors 65816

I will own the mistake, your right it’s 828 but still way below the 1080p all smartphones should have in 2019. There are cheaper phones out there with 1080p, Apple should not get a pass.

21. macdragonfl, Jan 17, 2019

macdragonfl macrumors 6502a

macdragonfl

Yes the majority of users don't know specs, just if it works for them. I hold anyone posting in this forum to a higher level of knowledge especially if you're trying to make an argument that is based on false information.

22. Ramchi macrumors 6502a

Ramchi

Problem with Google on hardware is they only do experiments. Now with Pixel they started doing at higher costs at the expense of poor consumers. It is always easy to keep one leg here and the other there without commitment. If you have problems in their mobiles or hardware, you are pretty much on your own in the wild to fix things...as there nil after sales service and support.

23. macdragonfl, Jan 17, 2019

macdragonfl macrumors 6502a

macdragonfl

Yes there are cheaper phones that are 1080p, they also have less features, slower processors and very few have face recognition that is as accurate as the Xr. After examining two Xr's at Christmas with my family I concluded it was a non issue. My Xs is better and should be for the price difference. But for the market it is intended for, most cannot see the difference and frankly do not care. The LCD used is a new design, it may have had some limitations that we do not know about. I was quite impressed actually as another family member has an 8+ and until you really put it in your face very close you could only see slight differences. Not nearly as dramatic as the OLED difference which the majority do not see either.

24. GrumpyMom macrumors 604

GrumpyMom

Yeah they pretty much sell to us tech fans. But the people who buy the low cost androids whose specs match the ones on this Pixel are used to not getting much in the way of service or support beyond whatever they might get from a carrier or Best Buy/other retailers. If the price is right they will buy it. I know I would, given what the competition is offering, if I were in the market for phones at this level. I would imagine Google will be courting more carrier support for this particular model.

I would definitely be interested in seeing what the price on this phone ends up being. The point that has already been made is a good one: they’re not just competing against other budget models using this chip, but against last year’s flagships on steep discounts. They need to really be wise about the pricing.

I do think Google priced their flagship models too high. They did something of a correction for that over the holidays and I was able to get a top spec model for $200 off plus a an additional $230 off for a two year old Android phone I had. That brought the Pixel 3XL price down to a more palatable level.

25. Sasparilla macrumors 65816

IMHO, this isn't an Xr competitor since it uses a mid range CPU. This is Google trying to go after the higher mid range market and its a great phone (no pink OLED if you keep it a long time, unlike Pixel 1's which are showing some of that, plus that awesome camera). Guessing a price of $499, but we'll see.

There will supposedly by both a 3 and 3 XL light.