Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
The thing that makes this a game changer is a flagship level camera on a mid range phone. I really don't care about most other attributes.
The processor speed difference will hardly be noticeable in everyday use to be honest.
Google really changed the game with the Pixel 3a....flagship phone with a mid range price.

Reactions: nospleen

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
The processor speed difference will hardly be noticeable in everyday use to be honest.
Google really changed the game with the Pixel 3a....flagship phone with a mid range price.

Obviously you will see some notable differences but you are right. In using the 3a for 2 days from my XS max you can see some noticeable speed in app opening, app refreshes and the biggest for me camera picture processing. Takes a good 2-3 seconds to process a picture.

Not a deal breaker but things absolutely fly on the XS max and going direct to the 3a it’s pretty noticeable. That being said, 2 days in you kind of get the flow of a mid tier phone.

UltraInstinct

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2013
United Kingdom
Obviously you will see some notable differences but you are right. In using the 3a for 2 days from my XS max you can see some noticeable speed in app opening, app refreshes and the biggest for me camera picture processing. Takes a good 2-3 seconds to process a picture.

Not a deal breaker but things absolutely fly on the XS max and going direct to the 3a it’s pretty noticeable. That being said, 2 days in you kind of get the flow of a mid tier phone.

The Pixel 3a isn't for people who own an XS Max though, it's for people who need an upgrade, say iPhone 5S/6/6S.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
The Pixel 3a isn't for people who own an XS Max though, it's for people who need an upgrade, say iPhone 5S/6/6S.

I agree but I was commenting on the day to day use and comparison of the snappiness and items you will notice if you are coming from another type of device that is higher graded.

Its an excellent device, dont get me wrong.

Reactions: UltraInstinct

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I played with one last night and I'm glad I ordered one. It will be a great side device. It's fast enough and feels great. Something amazing about an affordable plastic phone makes me all nostalgic for the Nexus days. :)
I really got a Nexus vibe as well :D

ipodlover77

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2009

Oh man, thats a big bummer to hear. My 3a is coming tomorrow and I too will be coming from a Max. Even though the 3a is a secondary phone to get my android fix, I was hoping the speed decrease wouldn't be TOO drastic...

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I really got a Nexus vibe as well :D

Nexus without potato cam is amazing. I'll gladly take the flagship camera over wireless charging and water resistance. For this price point you won't find a better new phone. Yes, you can find a used phone that's better specs but that's another story.

Reactions: jamezr

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
Oh man, thats a big bummer to hear. My 3a is coming tomorrow and I too will be coming from a Max. Even though the 3a is a secondary phone to get my android fix, I was hoping the speed decrease wouldn't be TOO drastic...

For me the biggest differences was the snappy opening of apps, app refreshing, and photo processing time after the initial shot were the biggest things I saw.

With that being said, it is a fantastic and fun device coming from the Max as I havent played with stock Android in a while and Google is so refreshing on some of the small touches they add to notifications and the OS.

I will be returning it but not because its a bad device which it isnt at all but I thought I wanted a smaller form factor but the 3a is too cramped for typing for me and I didn't realize how much I would miss wireless charging as I use it in my car, desk at work, and nightstand every single day.

Looking for a good deal on an 3XL. But for those that are looking for a side device to iOS the price point and the package including that top camera cannot be beat imo.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Got the XL at BB late yesterday. 12 month free financing, $100 GC.

Got a 3 XL, drains ridicously overnight and its battery size ain’t big enough really and it doesn't have a headphone jack. The one I got yesterday drained only 2% overnight, during setting it up and messing around afterwards the battery life has real potential. The screen quality is more than acceptable. Feels good in the hand.

Too early yet to determine if it is a keeper but if I can sell the 3 XL for decent money I will seriously consider it.

Good job Google.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Everyone going on about the lag on the 3a as a mid tier device and here's me with the "premium" Pixel 3 getting S7 Edge levels of lag two weeks in. :D

Gimme dat mid tier alternative. :p

ramram55

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
Got the XL at BB late yesterday. 12 month free financing, $100 GC.

Got a 3 XL, drains ridicously overnight and its battery size ain’t big enough really and it doesn't have a headphone jack. The one I got yesterday drained only 2% overnight, during setting it up and messing around afterwards the battery life has real potential. The screen quality is more than acceptable. Feels good in the hand.

Too early yet to determine if it is a keeper but if I can sell the 3 XL for decent money I will seriously consider it.

Good job Google.
After Nexus 6P fiasco with bad battery and boot loop, would stay away from Google a while.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Pixel 3a and Home Hub get. :)

I've spent around two hours with the 3a so far.

I basically echo the sentiment of all of the reviewers who have nothing but good things to say about it.

The 3a is definitely bigger than the regular Pixel 3 and you can tell that holding them next to each other.
There is so little between them in terms of feel though - which is quite incredible really given they're totally different materials and polycarbonate is nowhere near the premium metal and sandwich glass of the Pixel 3.

The only downside is I'm sure the side bezels are slightly bigger and the bottom chin is definitely bigger which is a shame given that is bezelicious enough as it is.

Screen looks no different at all. If anything, there is a slight yellower hue on this one compared to the bluer Pixel 3. But overall they look identical. A slight bit more colour shift when moving side to side.

I know it's only just come out of the box, but performance is identical so far to the Pixel 3 for me. No slow downs or stutters yet, but I have been experiencing them since day one on my regular 3, and part of me is wondering if I have a dud model as it can't be normal.

Battery life will be a nice test tomorrow. See how that goes.

Camera is identical. Cannot see any difference what so ever.

All in all (early impression), I cannot believe they have managed to do this at this price point.
My Google Home Hub is meant to be £130 and was free, which essentially makes the device £270. Crazy crazy crazy.

Looking forward to using it more seeing as I've been loving my Pixel 3 since I got it anyway. :)

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Obviously you will see some notable differences but you are right. In using the 3a for 2 days from my XS max you can see some noticeable speed in app opening, app refreshes and the biggest for me camera picture processing. Takes a good 2-3 seconds to process a picture....

This is exactly where I think people will get annoyed when the Honeymoon period ends with this device. With it being Camera focused, you want this to happen quickly.

A few months down the line and 2-3 seconds may be 5-6 seconds as you fill up the memory and use it.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Hmm. I don't think it's a good idea using both the Pixels at the same time.
The more I go back to the regular 3, the more premium it feels. I also prefer the slightly smaller form factor.

Battery life seems much better on this 3a though. It isn't draining anywhere near as quickly as it was on my 3, so that's a good sign. I feel like the speakers sound worse on this too. Screen lock and unlock tones sound a bit tinny compared to the 3. I'm being a bit picky aren't I? :p

Reactions: jamezr

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
The more I go back to the regular 3, the more premium it feels. I also prefer the slightly smaller form factor.

Battery life seems much better on this 3a though. It isn't draining anywhere near as quickly as it was on my 3, so that's a good sign. I feel like the speakers sound worse on this too. Screen lock and unlock tones sound a bit tinny compared to the 3. I'm being a bit picky aren't I? :p
Doesn't sound picky to me...we want to hear the differences. I think the cameras are the same but the speakers are not quite the same so it seems.

Reactions: Aneres11

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Doesn't sound picky to me...we want to hear the differences. I think the cameras are the same but the speakers are not quite the same so it seems.

Yeah camera seems almost identical.
Speakers definitely sound a little cheaper .

Phone does feel cheaper, I also think it looks it too. I kinda like the feel of that join between the metal and glass on the 3.

The 3 also feels colder which is nice as you can tell it's metal and glass then.

Bezels are definitely larger. I think that's why they've increased the overall size of the 3a as otherwise it'd probably be an odd screen size. The addition in size isn't a bad thing and is something I'd get used to, but I do prefer the smaller more compact Pixel 3 both in size and feel.

I think right now it's the feel of the device that I'm not enjoying. Out of the box it felt good but as the evening has gone on I'm not so sure.
I'm also making a load of mistakes typing on this phone and I have no idea why. It's slightly wider and taller bit my typing is garbage on it and littered with mistakes. Very strange considering I have no problems on the smaller 3.

Fille84

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2013

That's weird, I've heard several people saying that the speakers sounds better than Pixel 3.

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
How are the haptics? I had a few different 3’s and some were good and others vibrated so hard I could hear it across the room.

Even though the 3’s were better than other android phones, they still seemed significantly behind Apple imo.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
How are the haptics? I had a few different 3’s and some were good and others vibrated so hard I could hear it across the room.

Even though the 3’s were better than other android phones, they still seemed significantly behind Apple imo.

I love them. Very firm and not loud or distracting. Felt fantastic typing which I have never used before and didnt know i need this in my life. Not as satisfying as the haptic scrolling in iPhone but damn good.

Reactions: nospleen
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.