Google Previews Chrome OS, Scheduled for Release in Late 2010

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
I could see it working on very low end netbooks, but if it does not improve greatly before release I can't see it harming anyones market share.

Comment

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Nice to see Apple has nothing to worry about for now. Chrome = low-end OS for low-end devices.

Comment

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
Nice to see it bares the standard hallmark of nearly all Linux distros: Icons borrowed from Apple Inc. (see also Windows Mobile prototypes).

Video: 1:23 in

I imagine a real computer running a real operating system is needed to create all this fabulous web apps that it will run. I don't mean to sound a total cynic, but I'm not sure what they are trying to achieve and how it fits into the bigger picture with Android etc.

Attachments

Comment

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
doesnt really appeal to me. looks a bit complicated. i imagine netbooks will benefit from this... probably killing of Linux and Windoze CE

Comment

clevin

macrumors G3
Original poster
Aug 6, 2006
It could take on the netbook market pretty easily, I'd think.
doubt it.

I own a AA1, i do my pdf making, skype video, netflix, IM, game, paper writing, excel charting, access database-ing, bt downloading, 100GB+ file storing, photo/documents scanning, image editing, video editing etc, ........

ASUS thought netbook is easy, so they put linux on it, now take a look, netbook is taken over by windows.

trying to rip down the OS is a proven method to fail on netbooks.

Comment

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
Google Previews Chrome OS, Scheduled for Release in Late 2010

Google today held a preview event for Chrome OS, the company's forthcoming browser-based operating system scheduled to launch initially on netbooks in late 2010. Among the major announcements was that, like Google's Chrome browser, Chrome OS has been open-sourced as "Chromium OS" to allow any interested developers to contribute to developing the best possible operating system.
Today we are open-sourcing the project as Chromium OS. We are doing this early, a year before Google Chrome OS will be ready for users, because we are eager to engage with partners, the open source community and developers. As with the Google Chrome browser, development will be done in the open from this point on. This means the code is free, accessible to anyone and open for contributions. The Chromium OS project includes our current code base, user interface experiments and some initial designs for ongoing development. This is the initial sketch and we will color it in over the course of the next year.
Chrome OS is being positioned as a solution for users' secondary machines, offering a speedy, browser-based operating system consisting of Web apps and cloud-based data storage. The focus on speed begins at the top, with boot times currently clocking in at approximately 7 seconds.

Chrome OS will ship only on specific hardware from as-yet unnamed manufacturers with whom Google is partnering for development. As a cloud-based operating system, Chrome OS-based netbooks are planned to forgo traditional hard drives and instead utilize flash memory and remote cloud storage for their data handling needs. Pricing of Chrome OS-based netbooks is yet to be determined, but Google is anticipating that they will be in line with current netbook prices.

Google has also posted a promotional video highlighting the concept behind Chrome OS.

Article Link: Google Previews Chrome OS, Scheduled for Release in Late 2010

Comment

sbrhwkp3

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2005
Lake George, NY
Sorry...

But I really strongly dislike the concept.

I like having my movies... and music... and everything else I use when not on the internet, right here.

Google underestimates the importance of localized storage.

Comment

Braz0s

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2007
Chrome / Android

Android started the same way - one OS for any phone hardware. Developers are already complaining about supporting different versions of their apps for the various flavors of Android phones. Will this suffer the same fate?

Comment

SolRayz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2007
Ft. Lauderdale
Watching the demo video all I could think about was minimizing the chrome browser, but then again I guess that defeats the purpose of the OS.

Comment

MadMacxxx

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2009
Newport Beach, CA

I like having my movies... and music... and everything else I use when not on the internet, right here.

especially considering how many people there are with poor or unreliable internet connections.

Comment

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I really like not thinking of the OS. With this it would seem impossible to not recognize the OS constantly. Annoying to say the least.

Comment

copykris

Suspended
Sep 25, 2009
home
so when internet's down or otherwise acting funny as it does from time to time nothing gets done?

i'll pass

Comment

vant

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2009
I can see this becoming more appropriate in the future, but as of now our internet connections are not reliable enough to support this type of computing.

Comment

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Looks low-end.

Might be ok for netbooks.

I'm far more interested in Apple's Cloud plans.

Comment

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007

especially considering how many people there are with poor or unreliable internet connections.
I don't think that people with unreliable internet connections are who they are marketing this device towards.
As somebody with a reliable/fast internet connection, I'd be very interested in one, but only as a secondary device. Potentially paired with a home server.

Comment

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
Looks low-end.

Might be ok for netbooks.

I'm far more interested in Apple's Cloud plans.
An OS based on Internet connections? A definite FAIL.

Sorry Google, you seem to be trying to have too many eggs in your basket at once...just focus on what you know best: search, email and perhaps social networking...the rest is wishful thinking.

Comment

Rojo

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2006
Brookyln
Well it's not for ME.
Nor is it likely for most of the people on MacRumors.

But that doesn't mean millions of people wouldn't find something like this very useful. Especially if it's a secondary computing device, like a netbook. You're only using it for limited things anyway, so why not have a limited operating system that only focuses on those things and can do it quickly?

It will be very interesting to see where this goes...

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.