Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iPhone-6-Android-Wear1-250x260.png
Google is reportedly preparing to release an Android Wear app on the App Store for iPhone and iPad, according to French technology website 01net [Google Translate] (via iPhon.fr).

The report claims Android Wear with extended iOS support could be announced at Google's I/O developer conference in late May, although Google may push the agenda depending on sales of the Apple Watch.

Google may be interested in capitalizing on iPhone and iPad users that are not planning to purchase an Apple Watch when the wrist-worn device is released in April, the report adds. Last month, an unofficial video of an iPhone paired with Android Wear for notifications amassed over 300,000 views on YouTube.

Android Wear smartwatches such as the LG G Watch, Moto 360 and Samsung Gear Live are currently limited to pairing with smartphones running Android 4.3 or later, such as the Samsung Galaxy S5, HTC One M8 and LG G3. Pairing an Android smartphone and smartwatch requires the official Android Wear app on the Google Play Store.

While 01net is one of the largest technology publications in France, its exclusive report has not yet been corroborated by other sources and its veracity cannot be confirmed. But given that Google is generally more open about cross-platform compatibility, and has an existing portfolio of apps on the App Store, there is a possibility that Android Wear for iOS could one day be a reality.

Article Link: Google Reportedly Preparing Android Wear for iPhone and iPad

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
I may not be the candidate for an AppleWatch but I'll be damned if I buy a watch made from a competitor (Google). Chances are it won't be 100% compatible with my iPhone and I'll be at the slave of that Google for proper updates. No thanks!

Jamieserg

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2010
Once the Apple watch has been released, I'll compare each platform; google, apple and pebble and see which one I like best. Competition is always a good thing.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
So are Apple devices now MORE 'open' than Android devices?

Having an Apple device gives me the option of BOTH the Apple Watch AND Android Wear watches.

While owning an Android, you are stuck in your 'walled garden' with ONLY access to Android Wear watches.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
This would have made sense a few months ago. With the apple watch right around the corner, iphone users who are interested in a smartwatch or going to want the apple watch.

You know that half of the features android wear offers will not translate. It would essentially be a more expensive pebble. Voice replies, dismiss notifications, etc all would not play nicely with the iphone.

rickdollar

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2007
Funny. That's what Russell Holly of Android Central was discussing on The Dan Benjamin Hour yesterday.

Last edited:

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ

Having an Apple device gives me the option of BOTH the Apple Watch AND Android Wear watches.

While owning an Android, you are stuck in your 'walled garden' with ONLY access to Android Wear watches.

The Microsoft Band and Pebble are both compatible with Android. Also, the Apple Watch will not be compatible with Android. So I don't really see your point.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I agree. Some of the Android Wear watches look pretty slick, much better than the Apple Watch, imo.

Sure the renders look great especially when they're showing an analog clock face. For me if I want a traditional watch that's what I'll buy. Battery life will be much better.

MasterRyu2011

macrumors 65816
Aug 22, 2014
I may not be the candidate for an AppleWatch but I'll be damned if I buy a watch made from a competitor (Google). Chances are it won't be 100% compatible with my iPhone and I'll be at the slave of that Google for proper updates. No thanks!

Brand loyalty much?

Regarding updates, Android Wear is just an app on the Play Store, so there will be no fragmentation or anything if that what you are concerned about. Google can make updates to apps more quickly then something that is baked in to the OS.

Sandstorm

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2011
Riga, Latvia

Laughable "logic" you have there... :rolleyes:

cleirac

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2014
Ha. I will not let Android / Google / Samsung additional access to my iDevices.

More choices? My choice is no more Googling too!

* No thanks. No to your legalized spyware, Google! Your Android is free for a reason. :D

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
The Microsoft Band and Pebble are both compatible with Android. Also, the Apple Watch will not be compatible with Android. So I don't really see your point.

Microsoft doesn't make its money off hardware and Pebble doesn't make its own phones so no surprise both of those would be available on multiple platforms. As far as Google goes I doubt they really care if someone is rocking an iPhone as pretty much all their services are on iPhone

----------

Surely Apple won't allow this! No?

Sure they will. But no doubt Watch integration with iPhone will be deeper and there may even be apps that are only available for Watch in the beginning.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Brand loyalty much?

Regarding updates, Android Wear is just an app on the Play Store, so there will be no fragmentation or anything if that what you are concerned about. Google can make updates to apps more quickly then something that is baked in to the OS.

Brand Loyalty? Did you bother to actually read my post? I SAID I wasn't a candidate for an AppleWatch.......but from experience when I've bought competitor's products they weren't 100% compatible.

And what's wrong with brand loyalty? Do you have a problem with that? That's my right isn't it? :rolleyes:

Hustler1337

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2010
London, UK
I'd welcome this, the current Apple Watch design is pretty poor IMO, though I guess the Android Wear devices may be limited in their functions for iOS.

Cancelled
Nov 8, 2011

This has to be the most ignorant view that irks me the most about zealots of products. Guess what man, you're a slave to SOMEONE regardless of what you think. You're a slave to Apple when bugs spring up and Apple decides not enough people are affected by it. Example, the horrible WiFi issues every single iOS device I own experiences once again since 8.1.3. Well documented on the Apple forums and from other developers, caused by AWDL over Bonjour. Totally breaks connectivity on wireless networks for me, causing me to have to switch to LTE to get access. It isnt the router or the access point, I have examples on a wide array of equipment (mine is corporate equipment). I am a slave to Apple for them to fix it, that is if they decide its a big enough issue to do so (it is for those affected).

Use what works best, not because you somehow decided your loyalty belongs to one company or another because of some deeply held "religious" views to that company. You assume instantly that the product Google would offer will not be 100% compatible ... do you have insider knowledge to make this claim? Doubtful, and it makes you look like a zealot. :rolleyes:

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
This has to be the most ignorant view that irks me the most about zealots of products. Guess what man, you're a slave to SOMEONE regardless of what you think. You're a slave to Apple when bugs spring up and Apple decides not enough people are affected by it. Example, the horrible WiFi issues every single iOS device I own experiences once again since 8.1.3. Well documented on the Apple forums and from other developers, caused by AWDL over Bonjour. Totally breaks connectivity on wireless networks for me, causing me to have to switch to LTE to get access. It isnt the router or the access point, I have examples on a wide array of equipment (mine is corporate equipment). I am a slave to Apple for them to fix it, that is if they decide its a big enough issue to do so (it is for those affected).

Use what works best, not because you somehow decided your loyalty belongs to one company or another because of some deeply held "religious" views to that company. You assume instantly that the product Google would offer will not be 100% compatible ... do you have insider knowledge to make this claim? Doubtful, and it makes you look like a zealot. :rolleyes:

Wow so much thought out writing for a small paragraph I posted. Good thing I stopped reading after the first line. Chill.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.