Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

154629-bing.jpg

Google's CEO Eric Schmidt was recently interviewed by Charlie Rose on a variety of topics. Schmidt revealed that the search deal between Google and Apple had been "recently extended", suggesting that Google will remain the default search option on Apple's Mac OS X operating system and iOS devices for the time being.
Apple (AAPL) is a company we both partner and compete with. We do a search deal with them, recently extended, and we're doing all sorts of things in maps and things like that.
Earlier this year, rumors had suggested that Apple was in talks with Microsoft to replace Google as the default search engine on the iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch. Apple did recently add Bing search as an option for iOS search, but users must specifically activate it from their settings.

It seems Google was able to stave off Microsoft's advances for the meanwhile, but Apple and Google's partnerships have reportedly been under increasing strain as they become more competitive in the same markets.

Article Link: Google Search to Remain Default on Apple Devices?

Full of Win

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2007
Ask Apple
Why even have a default? Just present a text box when Mobile Safari starts up asking what you would like to be your search method.

Oh, I know why, because Apple cannot make money selling default rights to a company. They want to add an inconvenience for users so they can line their pockets.

saxofunk

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2006
Denver, CO
I'm still waiting for Internet Explorer on my iPhone...

NOT.

This kind of thing is just a way for companies to make money off of their competitors - who cares. Obviously no one says, "just Bing it" until other search engines become a verb, Google has nothing to worry about.

mattwolfmatt

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2008
Why even have a default? Just present a text box when Mobile Safari starts up asking what you would like to be your search method.

Oh, I know why, because Apple cannot make money selling default rights to a company. They want to add an inconvenience for users so they can line their pockets.

Yup. You've figured it out. What's wrong with making money? As a fellow conservative, I'm all for it.

To me, a text box (even if it is just one time) presented to 100% of users is more inconvenient than making the 20% who want to change it go into settings and change the default.

hwhalers

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2009

Is there anything you won't bitch about?

gglockner

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2007
Bellevue, WA
So what if Google competes with Apple? Microsoft competes with Apple in operating systems, portable music players, and office suites. And soon in smart phones, too. Apple management isn't stupid; they'll do what's in the best interest of their shareholders.

jason2811

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2006
I see "Maps" were mentioned here. I really hope that Apple will be updating their maps application. Not much has changed in the original application from 2007. It would be nice if an updated Maps app was similar to the Google Maps app on Android with turn-by-turn navigation and other great features. A native Gmail app (which has been on Blackberry for years) and a native Google Talk app would be amazing.

wrxpert

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2007
Most interesting part of the article is that they are working on a bunch of map stuff. I would love to get more functionality out of my map app.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
I bet Apple asked Google to keep their backend on the YouTube and Maps app for the iPhone up to date and quite possibly may ask Google for more Maps app functionality expansion.

This had to be it for Apple to agree with Google.

RRmalvado

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2010
I see "Maps" were mentioned here. I really hope that Apple will be updating their maps application. Not much has changed in the original application from 2007. It would be nice if an updated Maps app was similar to the Google Maps app on Android with turn-by-turn navigation and other great features. A native Gmail app (which has been on Blackberry for years) and a native Google Talk app would be amazing.

I don't know about a Gmail app per se as I think the Mail application works well for me, but an update to the Maps app will be a long time coming.

I used a friend's Droid Google Maps app and was very impressed.

dscuber9000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2007
Indiana, US

What is your problem, dude? :p

Regardless, I think it is most convenient to just have Google as the default because most people use Google anyway. If you don't like Google (for whatever reason) then it's not like it is hard, and definitely doesn't "add an inconvenience for users" to go into settings once and change it.

tablo13

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2010
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
The last thing I want is bing selected as default search engine. The mobile bing obviously sucks a lot. Like others said, the Maps and YouTube app need some update. Personally would like navigation on the maps app :D

Mgkwho

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2005
OK Honestly, that article on Apple Insider is just link bait. Their article doesn't explain how it can remain the default search engine, or even if there is a deal to have it as the default. Just that the sourced article says there is some sort of "deal." What if that means they get paid for results? Not necessarily being the default...ugh I hate insinuating journalism.

Their argument:

The quote "We do a search deal with them" = "Google extends deal with Apple to remain default iPhone search"

WTF? It doesn't take a 5th grader to figure out this title came out of NOWHERE.

Rumor 1 Journalism 0.

-=|Mgkwho

Full of Win

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2007
Ask Apple
Yup. You've figured it out. What's wrong with making money? As a fellow conservative, I'm all for it.

To me, a text box (even if it is just one time) presented to 100% of users is more inconvenient than making the 20% who want to change it go into settings and change the default.

I never said they did not have the right to or that there should be a law against it. I'm just stating a fact, they are making money by giving the user a default action. For other services, such as location services, they prompt the user to allow or not allow. I think this should be no different.

iCrizzo

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2010
Burlington, VT
I use Bing, I wish I could delete the Google maps app though as I like MapQuest better anyway I don't need a map app on my iPad since it is wifi only.

spillproof

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2009
USA
Apple and Google actually love each other. They just fight for the publicity.

Okay, not really. But I hope there is still some love, because I love google search and because either the YouTube app needs to disappear or be 100% rewritten to model the web app.

Sabon

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2003
Seattle, WA
How about AOL search or maybe from a convicted junk bond ...

Bing - Most evil
Yahoo - guilty by association with Bing
Google - Sometime during the last 18 months moved into the evil zone (having nothing to do with what they are doing with Apple, but then became even more evil due to that)

I can't believe that I would even with to have AOL search (assuming it is not any of the above)
At this point, considering how far in the evil zone all three choices we have now are, I'd even consider using a search engine by a convicted junk bonds slime ball or maybe even one of the crooked people that ran Enron into the ground, OR one from BP.
As evil as all of them are, they are actually looking not as evil as Bing, Yahoo, and Google.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Bing - Most evil

And why? In my world view anything that reduces the power of one omniscient search engine is a good thing. Look up "Skynet".

I use Yahoo!, though, because it adds an extra level of obfuscation to Bing.

Personal anecdote - a Bay Area friend works at Yahoo! At a recent potluck dinner he mentioned that his last job was a classified position at a local defense contractor. He said that his security clearance prevented him from saying anything more, but that it was public knowledge that his old company was working on directed energy weapons.

I joked that "Oh, you're going to blast Google". (Yahoo!'s corporate headquarters is about 5 km from the Googleplex, across absolutely flat tidal marshlands.)

His deadpan reply - "Yes - the moment The Google becomes self-aware we fire".

rodion.foma

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2010
And why? In my world view anything that reduces the power of one omniscient search engine is a good thing. Look up "Skynet".

I use Yahoo!, though, because it adds an extra level of obfuscation to Bing.

Personal anecdote - a Bay Area friend works at Yahoo! At a recent potluck dinner he mentioned that his last job was a classified position at a local defense contractor. He said that his security clearance prevented him from saying anything more, but that it was public knowledge that his old company was working on directed energy weapons.

I joked that "Oh, you're going to blast Google". (Yahoo!'s corporate headquarters is about 5 km from the Googleplex, across absolutely flat tidal marshlands.)

His deadpan reply - "Yes - the moment The Google becomes self-aware we fire".

i think Remain Default on Apple Devices later
smile.gif

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.