Google Super High Speed Internet

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Resist, Jul 12, 2010.

1. Resist macrumors 68030

So what ever happened to that Google super high speed internet thing? Google was supposed to pick some cities, but I haven't heard anything about it lately.

2. dsyntax macrumors member

3. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I hope my town get's blessed by Google. 1Gb/s?! Who wouldn't?

4. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

Knowing Google they will probably let the project languish and die like Buzz and Wave are heading towards. Along with not being known for its design, outside of search it can't be said that Google has much of an attention span.

5. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

I look forward to the day that something finishes downloading before I even realized I wanted it.

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I couldn't disagree with you more here. Buzz and Wave haven't caught on because many people just don't care to have that much of their life advertised unless they feel like they're in control. Facebook has that feeling like you're in control but that's a facade ... a really nice facade at that. They've managed to make users think they have privacy whereas Google didn't try to hide how much would be put out there. I could be wrong but that is really my opinion.

Google Internet is something I believe will happen in due time.

7. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Imagine those markets with 1Gb/s lines at affordable prices (say around $40). Cable, DSL and other ISPs would flip and scour to keep their customers before loosing them to Google.

Cable can hold 300Mb/s and we are still stuck at 12Mb/s in 2010? Biggest joke ever.

8. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Knowing what Google has done in the past, they would spy EVERYTHING you do. Every bit that goes or comes would be saved to Google's server.

We currently have 200Mb/s for 50€/month in here. 1Gb/s is coming later on this year, probably priced around 60€/month. No gaps or other limits of course.

9. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

>Finland

Well, yeah, that explains why, here in the US, we have to bend over for the ISPs.

10. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

I've really been wandering about this network, too. My city and county partnered for the effort, but since then, zero information. That site linked above said it will happen by the end of the year, so I hope Google sticks to it.

Did any of your areas enter? With over 1,000 municipalities entering, I'm sure most are covered, but what do you guys think makes your town stick out in the crowd?

For Wilmington, we were the first in the country to make the DTV switch. Our area is a tourist destination so if we got it here, folks from all over would be able to taste the high speed goodness. We're also in the same state the a lot of Data Centers and Tech companies are calling home on the East Coast so it'd make sense to start the Network at one end of the state and roll it West from here. I guess there's lots of other stuff about our charming little community that might sway Google's interest, but I'd like to hear why you think your city should be picked.

11. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Ahh, Finland. They may be grim and necro about some stuff, but internet speed isn't one of them.

12. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

13. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

14. JediZenMaster macrumors 68000

JediZenMaster

I get 10 Megabit's with time warner and i will not touch anything google offers. Who wants to give them carte blanch to mine all of their data being transfered and stuff?

It's just freaky the amount of info google has on people and i'm not a candidate for the tinfoil hat. But i'm pretty secure about my privacy.

15. Resist thread starter macrumors 68030

I think you mean "wondering".

16. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

Yup. That's the second time I've done something like that this week! I wander if Google will look poorly on my city now?;)