Google Sync and iOS 4

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by David87, Jun 21, 2010.

1. David87 macrumors member

Just posted this in the regular iPhone section, but realised this is the correct place!:eek:

Have just updated to iOS 4 on my iPhone 3GS and all is well except for my Gmail account set up to push through the Apple Mail application. This worked no problem with iOS 3, but with the new software it isn't the case. Some messages push through within a couple of minutes, whilst others won't appear until you press the Mail logo and it checks for new messages. When you do, opposed to it usually checking and saying no new messages within three or four seconds, it says "Cannot Get Mail" "The connection to the server failed". Not sure why iOS 4 is causing this issue as Google Sync worked so well under iOS 3, but I'm sure it'll be an easy fix! I've even tried deleting the account and re-configuring it, using Google's official instructions that are linked below.

Anyone else suffering the same problems as me?

http://www.google.com/support/mobile...40&topic=14252

2. whyrichard macrumors 68000

google exchange broken

Likewise with my contacts and calendars!

hmph. early adopters syndrome.

r.

3. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

same. I'm truly hoping this isn't an on-purpose apple vs google battle. I would be really pissed.

Maybe ios 4 installations are bogging m.google.com servers down?

I'm really hoping this clears up ASAP. It'd be nice to see my freaking contacts back on my phone.

4. TIGOS macrumors regular

TIGOS

Same here, before ios4, emails coming fast and iphone makes sound to notify it.

Now, like an sh....

Damn, look this screen:

[​IMG]

5. IndianBird macrumors 6502a

for future reference, there is a sweet free app in the app store that backs up your contacts online

search for idrivelite

i have used it several times, had to restore like new a few times and all i had to do was put the app back on my phone and i could restore my contacts from there

6. Spyderturbo007 macrumors member

If I'm reading this right, you guys / gals are saying that the calendar and contact sync isn't working properly after upgrading to iOS4?

If that's the case, I won't be upgrading until that gets resolved.

7. David87 thread starter macrumors member

Ah well, at least we're all in the same boat! Guess that hopefully means it'll be resolved ASAP. It's annoying, but the rest of iOS 4 seems great. Need it to be sorted, though - I love my push Gmail!

8. TIGOS macrumors regular

TIGOS

Like Apple forcing users to migrate from google to new mobileme...:mad:

9. punderwood75 macrumors newbie

Hi

I had the same problem.

I found that it had deleted the mail cache all contacts and mails - however if I left it for 30mins it did re-download and have all my contacts and mail etc.

However few hours after that initial download and it has failed to download ny emails in my google mail box.

10. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

I appreciate the info and app recommendation. My contacts were all still in the cloud (google apps) but they just weren't being pushed to my phone. I wasn't afraid of losing them, really.

All issues have cleared up for me and google apps/exchange is behaving normally. Enjoying my unified inbox right now.

11. innominato5090 macrumors 6502

innominato5090

I've exactly the same problem. I suspect it's on the google side, because sync worked properly until 2 hours ago and I'm using the iOS 4 GM since the 7th june. Hope they're gonna fix it quickly, no contacts for now

edit: it seems to work again :)

12. doctapeppa macrumors 6502

I was having this problem as well so I went into the settings and deleted my Gmail account so I could re-add it. Now that I've re-added it it seems to only sync Mail Calendar and Notes now instead of mail calendar and contacts. Where are my contacts? How do I get my google contacts back?

13. bndoarn macrumors 6502a

I've been having the same problems

You have to set it up as an Exchange account to get contacts.

14. doctapeppa macrumors 6502

Phew.. My heart nearly stopped when I saw all my contacts gone, thanks.

15. walds11 macrumors 6502a

I am good. It worked fine, then went a little quirky and now all good.

16. jbdeen macrumors newbie

Notes syncing?

Anyone know how to get notes sync OTA to work with Google Sync in iOS4?

17. bielen macrumors regular

I'm having the same problem. I saw this on a Google Support Forum in response to a support request:

"We are currently aware of the new OS4 issue with Google Apps, and are working on a fix. You should be able to connect momentarily when we push out the fix."

The message says 4:57am. That doesn't sound momentarily.

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/gmail/thread?tid=0aea7857b25a174f&hl=en

18. bndoarn macrumors 6502a

It seems they're going to be doing maintenance tonight from 10PM PDT to 2AM PDT, I'm guessing to fix it.

source

19. whyrichard macrumors 68000

doesn't it say june 26th, not tonight....
    seems like we've got to wait. but some people have google sync working?

r.

20. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

yeah it's working fine for myself and other members of my family who all use google sync with our family domain on google apps.

21. whyrichard macrumors 68000

wow... still nothing for me. no mail, no contacts, no calendars... exchange google sync using google's directions for 3.0...

leaving address book open all night, see if that gets me anything....

r.

22. iSimon macrumors regular

I updated to iOS4 first thing this morning (UK time) and have been struggling with this issue too. I initially left things as they were and after a while I got email back and about half my contacts and some of my calendar entries but then it seemed to make no further progress at all. I've now tried deleting the previous exchange account and setting it up fresh to see if I have anymore luck with this one, but so far not even email has come back up.

23. Phil Lee macrumors 6502

Like I said in the other thread, I've been using the GM version of iOS 4 with Google Sync for the last 2 weeks with no problem. Last night I did a restore of my phone with the actual release and ran into the same problems you guys have been having. I also see the same behaviour on my iPad so it is definitely a Google server issue. I suspect they are being hammered at the moment now that iOS 4 offers multiple Exchange account support. I've always kept IMAP GMail configured on both my iPad and iPhone, just switched off, so I've switched over to that until the dust settles.

24. whyrichard macrumors 68000

i added "gmail.com" to the domain in the exchange settings and i've made some progress... email downloaded and some contacts come in... will let you know if it is fully successful.

r.

25. iSimon macrumors regular

Well I now have email showing up again, and some calendar entries - but still only about half my contacts. It's suspiciously halted at 75 contacts again, just like it did last time.

Edit - got all my contacts through now and it seems to all be in order. Just need to be patient it seems!