Google Sync vs. Nuevasync

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by plasmo, Feb 9, 2009.

1. plasmo macrumors member

I've been using Nuevasync to push sync my Google Calendar and contacts.
    ...and have been very happy with minimal issues.

Now that Google Sync is out... was wondering if any fellow Nuevasyncers have made the brave switch over to Google Sync to see if there are any advantages with the Google Service.

Thanks!

2. vienta macrumors newbie

I have used Nuevasync at various times in the past but have always ended up switching back to MobileMe/Spanning Sync because it just seemed a little flaky. I started using Google Sync today and after a few contact formatting headaches everything seems to be working well- I'm excited about having a new option!

3. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

It's too bad PUSH Gmail wasn't included in this. If it does come out eventually, I"d ditch Mobile Me for it. It's not like I want to pay $99 a year for push Gmail and Contacts.

4. gunnarliden macrumors newbie

For those of you who Have set up google sync, can it be run concurrently with another ms exchange account? I use my contacts from my work exchange and would like to use my work calendar for work and my google calendar for non work. Will they both show up? Will it erase all my current work exchange data?

5. stil macrumors member

stil

No. Currently only one Exchange account can be used at a time on the iPhone.

6. AnormalGeek macrumors newbie

so far so good

I am a new iPhone owner, I got my white 3G this past week.
    Yesterday I setup Google Sync so far I love it I have the options set to only sync the calender as my contacts are stored on my MacBook and sync via iTunes. Also Google has no support at this time for the custom fields in Contacts and Contacts on the iPhone.

I think that there is a good chance that Google will be adding "Push" for gmail as they have ActiveSync at their disposal. It will be interesting to see what happens next.

Also I would hope that Apple will enable multiple exchange accounts on the iPhone however they may need separate calenders like how mail has separate mailboxes with their own folders for each account due to how exchange seems to work. There may be a way to have contained back end and a single user interface but it should keep work and personal calenders totally isolated from each other as to not confuse the servers or coworkers.

I have not used Nuevasync.

7. dgdosen macrumors 65816

dgdosen

So, what happens with changes you make in iCal or AddressBook on your laptop. Are those synced?

8. plasmo thread starter macrumors member

....so any previous Nuevasync users made the switch to Google Sync?

I heard someone say that Google Sync only allows your main calendar to be synced... this is not true right?

9. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

http://www.google.com/support/mobile/bin/answer.py?answer=139635&topic=14252

Google Help › Mobile Help › Using Your Device › iPhone Devices › Known Limitations

Sync: Known Limitations

Google Sync for iPhone is still in beta. We're constantly working on improvements, but we've listed below some known limitations of Google Sync for iPhone.

* Attendee Status for Calendar Events
    The iPhone doesn't reflect the attendee status (Yes/No/Maybe) of guests in the user interface of the Calendar application. Google Sync provides a hint in the form of a checkmark in front of a guest's first name.

* Limited to 5 Calendars
    Syncing more than 5 Calendars to the iPhone's Calendar application often causes all Calendars to appear in the same bright yellow or cyan color, making it impossible to use the Calendar application effectively. Google is working with Apple to resolve this issue.

* Modified Instances of Recurring Events Not Always Deleted
    In some cases, the iPhone doesn't respond correctly to change requests for individual instances of recurring Calendar events and creates duplicates of these events. This problem often affects events created in the GMT timezone when the series of events spans a Daylight Savings Time boundary.
    Example: If a series of recurring events is created in August and a change is made to an instance of the series in December, the iPhone will show both the orginal event and the changed instance in the Calendar application.

* Modified Instances of Recurring Events Not Removed When Declined
    When an event is declined by an attendee in Google Calendar, the instance is removed from the attendee's Calendar on the iPhone. However, if the event is a modified instance of a series of recurring events, the iPhone doesn't respond to the delete command and the declined event remains on the device Calendar.

* Limited Contact Information
    The iPhone can synchronize up to 3 email address. Phone number synchronization is limited to 2 Home numbers, 1 Home Fax, 1 Mobile, 1 Pager, 3 Work (one will be labeled 'Company Main') and one Work Fax number.

10. plasmo thread starter macrumors member

Gonna make the switch.

Looks like you can do multiple calendars by going to m.google.com
    or www.google.com/m/ and set up the calendars to sync (up to 5).

HEY does anyone know if I can disable syncing my Contacts (keep it with Outlook) and only have Google sync my calendar?

11. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

Yes, you can do one or the other or both. Just change it in your iPhone settings.

12. dwcliff macrumors newbie

dwcliff

I've used nuevasync for many months and loved the ability to keep my pc and iphone calendar and contacts synced. There have been the growing pains with nuevasync and times where everything has disappeared from the phone, but usually within in a day it gets fixed. I've also had some formatting problems when contacts on the pc get copied to the device.

I switched to googlesync yesterday and it works great. All the addresses went on the device exactly the same as my pc and I believe in the long haul that google's large servers will head off any problems we've seen on nuevasync.

Its my understanding that you can sync up to 5 calendars using googlesync.

13. S Brake macrumors regular

I'd much rather go through google than a third party so I deleted my nuevasync account when I set up google sync. I disabled contacts when setting it up to avoid losing all my stored contacts.

14. slashjunior macrumors regular

I'm using Google Sync. Working great for me so far. Only one issue. One of my contacts has about 5 or 6 different phone numbers, Google Sync can only handle about 3 or 4 so when they call me on one of their numbers I don't get caller ID, but that is a small issue.

I am so glad I cancelled MobileMe now. I'm now £58 better off, although I have became a bit of a slave to Google. I use Gmail, GCal, Google Contacts, Picasa Web Albums...there are probably more! All the services are synced up with Mail, iCal and Address Book. It takes a bit of setting up, but once it is it works great, best of all it is free. Then I use Dropbox which is essentially what iDisk should have been. It is much quicker and you get 2GB of storage for free on Amazon S3 servers so it is reliable as well.

15. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

That's an interesting idea. I don't think they will for two reasons: most of the non-MS ActiveSync solutions suck, and I can't see GMail running a high-volume Exchange service. Still, it's possible they'll implement their own ActiveSync server -- stranger things have happened.

16. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

did any of you ever think that google hasnt added push gmail to the iphone simply to give the g1 a competitive advantage?

17. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

Yes. I also think that Google is more interested in getting people to use their service than they are T-Mobile's G1.

18. olenholm macrumors newbie

Plasmo: any success with switching?

I'm wondering if I should leave nuevasync as well! How did it go?

19. ginguar macrumors regular

I've stuck with nuevasync as it's never failed me and don't see the need to move to anything else.

20. elanakin macrumors newbie

I agree.... Nueva Sync has been very reliable for the past year and their tech support team is prompt and helpful. Plus, I like to sync more than 5 calendars which Nueva Sync allows.

What I'm looking forward to is the option to sync TASKS as well. Nueva Sync is waiting for google to release the API.

However, if google sync works out all the kinks, It'll be tough not to migrate over to their service.

21. nippyjun macrumors 65816

Is there a free or cheap solution to syncing contacts between 2 computers like google calendar sync does for calendars?

22. bob13bob macrumors member

Can't you just sync both computers to your google calender sync?

23. nippyjun macrumors 65816

It doesn't sync contacts, only calendars.

24. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Google sync doesn't sync contact photos which is hella annoying

25. Leafs macrumors member

If you use google sync through the exchange server. Can you not obtain emails from a gmail account? I literally have to add another account for mine and have that as gmail only. Am I missing something or does google synce only sync contacts and calenders even though it says mail as one of the options to choose in the iphone?