Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Google announced a new version of Google Talk optimized for the iPhone. The web-based chat client allows you to instant message with others.
- Chat with your Google Talk contacts in real time. Send and receive instant messages in chat sessions with your contacts.
- View and search for your Google Talk contacts. See the availability and status message of your contacts and change your own status on the go.
- Go off the record if you don't want to store your chats. Off the record chats are not stored on Gmail.
iPhone users can visit www.google.com/talk in Safari.

The appeal of these web-based clients, however, are coming to a close. With the release of the App Store next week, we expect to see multiple versions of instant messaging to become available as native applications for the iPhone.

Article Link

avigalante

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2007
New York City
Just checked it out -

Done nicely and very neat, just as the GMail web-application offered from Google. That said, as the web-app stands, it is difficult to tell when a chat is selected in Google Talk (e.g. the blue highlight bar in the iPod).

Comment

jhkaplan

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2008
Just tried this, it's really nice, but nothing that JiveTalk cant do. Looking forward to somethign like this in the app store, with audio notifications.

Comment

SkippyThorson

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2007
Utica, NY
Yup, just gave it a shot as well. Personally, I think it is very nicely done - but not exactly what I'm looking for - I never really used Google Talk. I may give it a chance again here. Good job Google!

Comment

wakerider017

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2006
US of A
Kind of late to the game...

I would imagine most people will be moving away from web-based messaging apps in the next few days.

Comment

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
The appeal of these web-based clients, however, are coming to a close. With the release of the App Store next week, we expect to see multiple versions of instant messaging to become available as native applications for the iPhone.

I think this is the real story here. SMS is now not included in the data package of the iPhone 3G but soon IMing will be a reality. Sure not everyone out there will have phone based IMing but most have SMS, but maybe this will be the beginning of the end for SMS.

Comment

kjs862

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2004
Anyone else think it stupid that google loves to put beta on the bottom of most of their services?

Comment

njchris

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2007
Huntington Beach, Ca USA
I think this is the real story here. SMS is now not included in the data package of the iPhone 3G but soon IMing will be a reality. Sure not everyone out there will have phone based IMing but most have SMS, but maybe this will be the beginning of the end for SMS.
These won't be much better than the web based in terms of being notified. You have to be IN the app to be notified of a message. However, that is supposed to change in the fall when apple introduces the ability to get notifications (I forgot what they called it), so hopefully this fall the IM apps will be more useful than the web apps.

Comment

CBJammin103

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2007
Louisiana, United States
The appeal of these web-based clients, however, is* coming to a close.
;)

On a less useless note... I think this is a bit strange of a release by Google. They knew the app store was coming and they know already that currently availible webapps (e.g., JiveTalk) can do this already.

I guess it's not a bad thing, though.

Comment

optophobia

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Hudson MA
;)

On a less useless note... I think this is a bit strange of a release by Google. They knew the app store was coming and they know already that currently availible webapps (e.g., JiveTalk) can do this already.

I guess it's not a bad thing, though.
I am thinking its because they realize this, and plan to release an APP too. So by getting used to using gtalk on the iphone now (albeit a bit late) users will want to download the APP as soon as it is available.

Comment

jdavtz

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2005
Kenya
App better than Webapp?

Just wondering in what way a 'true' app would be better than a web app for things like this that are 100% reliant on a data connection for their content?

Comment

bstpierre

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2008
Just wondering in what way a 'true' app would be better than a web app for things like this that are 100% reliant on a data connection for their content?

A 'true' app won't have to download elements of the application from the web, just the data to be displayed. Should be a little faster to use.

Comment

dark-saito

macrumors regular
And there's still 4 Days Left till deadline for applications on launch day right? So maybe this is just Google's way of saying it might happen on launch day, that is, of course, assuming they have the code for the app ready already :\

Comment

Sijmen

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
Still waiting for the HTC Diamond version.

(joke courtesy of onemorething.nl :p)

Comment

VDA

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2008
Interesting. Google seems to have its time and energies and priorities mucked up. While they're busy readying some romper room application for kids meanwhile they're "Maps" application is leaving many folks lost in the wilderness due to its lackluster database. It hasn't been updated since the first iPhone was released.

I'm in the delivery business by trade and many of the streets and neighborhoods I couldn't find a year ago I STILL can't find using Google Maps on my iPhone! Hmpff, some good GPS functionality will be on the iPhone 3G if the freakin' database it uses is so outdated that it doesn't include some unwholy percentage of the places you need to find!!!

What's worse I couldn't even find a feedback option on Googles' Maps website to share this information --- I mean, not that a multi billion dollar company isn't already aware of one of its products shortfalls. They can't be! Can they? So why no database updates in over a year?? Makes one wonder.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.