Google To iOS?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by ANTAWNM26, Oct 14, 2014.

1. ANTAWNM26 macrumors 6502a

ANTAWNM26

Im wanting to cancel all ties with google period. Im wondering is there anyone here that have done so and what alternatives are you using:
    1.email
    2.youtube
    3.Maps
    ...my pet peeve is that once on android you reset your device it enables all the tracking non sense by default,just tired of it...

2. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

I'll get this out of the way first- there will never be another Youtube.

As for email, setup a me.com email address, and you can set it up so that your Gmail messages direct to your me.com email.

As for maps, Apple's POIs have improved greatly over the past year. It's not a bad alternative to Google Maps.

3. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

• YouTube Alternative - One doesn't exist, don't kid yourself
    • Email - iCloud.com, Me.com, Outlook.com, Yahoo.com, AOL (lol)
    • Maps - Apple, MapQuest, Garmin, etc

4. ANTAWNM26 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ANTAWNM26

hmmm, appreciate it the fast response, just trying to iron some things out before my 6plus arrive...The me.com email does that mean that i can pretty much delete all user information from google accounts?

5. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

No, the account still has to be active. Go to your Gmail settings and set up your email so that they are forwarded to your new email address, unless you want to start fresh.

6. ANTAWNM26 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ANTAWNM26

ok got it i just may start fresh....Not for sure yet though....I hope Im not leaving anything out lol

7. Toltepeceno Suspended

Toltepeceno

To me anyway nothing beats google search either and google maps still beats apple maps, at least here it does by a long shot. That being said where we live one needs maps without having a data connection so I use sygic, works great. Just thought I would toss that in.

8. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

You can always use YouTube to watch videos without an account.

Maps, I prefer Waze as a "navigation" mapping program, Apple Maps for non-navigation (i.e. just look at a location for whatever reason.)

DuckDuckGo is a good replacement for Google, as it is all about privacy.

9. ANTAWNM26 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ANTAWNM26

Has apple maps lnsvigating you wrong and if so how often.. Is that Google maps has more features? Never even seen apple maps in action.. Also the ones using Google maps are you using it with an account

10. T-Will macrumors 6502a

T-Will

I recently migrated my Calendar, Contacts, and Tasks from Google to iCloud, don't forget about those services (if you use them).

Also, recently switched to DuckDuckGo, so far it's a great alternative to Google search.

11. ANTAWNM26 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ANTAWNM26

Def forgot about the calendar n contacts... The contacts have to be done csv format then imported?

12. amro macrumors 6502

Nope. Use this app: Contacts Sync for Google Gmail
    It's from Playa.

It works both ways. It updates Google contacts from iPhone or iPhone from Google contacts. It also supports custom labels which appears to be a PIA any other way. I love it.

13. enthusiastic macrumors regular

Give bing.com a try. It has improved a LOT and the rewards program is cool.

14. ANTAWNM26 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ANTAWNM26

I will check it out asap

15. T-Will macrumors 6502a

T-Will

I manually exported them then imported using the Calendar and Contacts app on Mac.

----------

I've dabbled with Bing, but I like the idea of not being tracked and personal privacy which is at the core of DuckDuckGo.

16. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

I was going to post a comment here, but am still looking for my tin foil hat. :cool:

17. ErikGrim macrumors 68040

ErikGrim

As much as I hate Google, there's no getting away from that their search is the best. Turns out collecting your information does provide you with better results, who would have thunk it? Tried Duck Duck Go, but as it doesn't even know where you are local searches are terrible. No, there's no other YouTube as horrid as that is. Don't know what the go is with Vimeo, but I think their focus on content creators only have hurt their viability as a true competitor.

For me Apple Maps is far better than Google Maps. YMMV.

And I still have a Gmail account I use for signing up to lists and services. But I only access it with IMAP through Apple Mail.

18. decafjava macrumors 68000

decafjava

Try www.dailymotion.com for a youtube alternative. Not as big but not too bad. The others have already been mentioned.

19. macduke Suspended

macduke

Depends on what he wants to do with it. If he just wants to post videos to share with others, Vimeo works. He won't get the views YouTube gets, but then again most people just posting a normal video won't get a ton of views either unless it's something really interesting.

20. Beelzbub macrumors regular

For me, I like Outlook.com. Free push mail and your mail, calendar, and contacts are always in sync between all your devices, even Outlook if you use that on your computer. They also give you 30 GB of space, and the OneDrive is pretty nice. I have been using that and the app is pretty nice. Your pictures are uploaded and stored in OneDrive and they are accessible on all your devices using the app (PC, Mac, iPad, iPhone).

I know iCloud does all that, but you have to pay for more space whereas Outlook.com gives you an ample amount for free. I just forward everything from Gmail to Outlook.com. I really enjoy the push email and was spoiled with it, when I upgraded my iPhone I lost it and Outlook.com was a good alternative. I have no complaints. YMMV.

21. C DM macrumors Westmere

OneDrive offers 30 GB?

22. MikeyMike01 macrumors 6502

It's normally 15GB, but you get bumped to 30 by enabling camera uploading.

23. C DM macrumors Westmere

Really? I only see them mentioning that you get 3 GB extra (so bump to 18 GB it would seem) by enabling camera uploading. (This is what it shows up as toward the bottom of the page at https://onedrive.live.com/about/en-us/plans/)

24. fchowd0696 macrumors newbie

Why are people so self conceited that they believe multi billion dollar corporations care about about what websites you visit besides just pure monetary value? Such paranoid individuals.

25. Dave Felix macrumors 6502a

Dave Felix

What's wrong with Google? Or better question, why don't you like/want to use it anymore?