Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
Oh Google.

As of today, market capitalization for two companies:

AAPL: 473.15B
GOOG: 408.23B

With current trajectories for both, Google will probably overtake Apple in market capitalization in a few months. With Apple stock in decline for almost two years now I doubt Tim Cook is laughing unless he is an idiot (and he is not).

AgentElliot007

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2010
I expect the world will shrug at whatever Google does, just like they've done with every other smart watch so far.

Honestly, I wouldn't be too surprised if Apple iWatch flops just like everyone else's smart watches - I don't think many people really want or need a device in this category. (Two other possibilities that wouldn't surprise me: Apple dominates the Smart Watch market or Apple never even enters the Smart Watch market.)

I'm much more interested in seeing Apple break some new ground in television than in wearable tech. Something that'll bring families together rather than drive them apart (that was the promise Nintendo made with the Wii U. So far the games have utterly failed to live up to that, or any other standard, by not materializing at all. I'm looking forward to seeing some asymmetric games that can bring casual and hardcore gamers together.)

I don't think it'll necessarily "flop," but I wouldn't be shocked if it wasn't at all as ambitious as some of these other manufacturers are aiming for. I'm honestly expecting an Apple health band, like an advanced Nike Fuelband with Apple design aesthetics and deeper iOS integration.

If they release a smart watch that's more in the vein of what we've seen thus far, as in, if it has features you interact with that make heavy use of a screen, I think it has potential to flop. It's not easier to read a message or an email on a watch, it's harder, and I can't really reply unless we're expected to believe that they've found a way to make dictation with editing perfect, which will not happen. It'd be uncomfortable to use it for FaceTime calls that lasted longer than about 15 seconds. And it's certainly not better than a phone for taking a picture in any way, shape or form, Samsung and your awkward and unsettling commercial.

I can't think of much a "smart watch" would do that would make my life better. The only non-sensor related features I'd ever be interested in seeing on a smart watch display or readout are basic notifications for calls or messages, time, stop-watch, steps count and other basic data from the sensors that would be easier to see while exercising as opposed to grabbing my iPhone and opening an app. For most everything else, my iPhone or iPad is always going to be a better option for me.

Watches exist more now as jewelry and/or to make a fashion statement. For most people with any sort of cell phone, they're simply not a necessity anymore, hence why so many people aren't bothering with watches at all. Making them "smarter" by making them more like a tiny phone on your wrist isn't going to be appealing to many people. But making them smarter by integrating lots of sensors to help you better monitor your fitness and general health levels, while also serving as a watch that can give you some basic notifications that might save you having to grab your phone for a minute...? That might work.

Make it cheap. Make it small, simple and attractive. Give it multiple day battery life. And did I mention make it cheap? $49-99. If it costs a lot more than that and is much more complicated, it won't take off. There simply, though thankfully, aren't enough Dwight Shrutes in the world that would feel the need to have a smaller, less functional computer on their wrists that costs as much as their iPhone. But if the price is right the focus squarely on sensors and health, I'll likely buy it on day one. I'm waiting on a Fitbit or Fuelband to see what Apple does. And I'll know if FaceTime ends up as a bulleted feature of the iWatch that I'll likely be looking at those other options.

Last edited:

genovelle

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008

With current trajectories for both, Google will probably overtake Apple in market capitalization in a few months. With Apple stock in decline for almost two years now I doubt Tim Cook is laughing unless he is an idiot (and he is not).
Google is due for a huge fall. Their share price makes no sense at all. But for some reason even with Apples huge drop and their more than doubling in share price they still have not come within 50 billion of Apple. And the in the time frame you mention Apple will have a all new iPhone. If they were going to pass them they should have already.

SeattleMoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2009
Der Wald
Being the most invasive company on the planet (sorry...NSA does not count here), I'm surprised Google has not put out a "Condom Cam" or some other highly invasive "wearable" device. :eek:

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
What makes you think that other companies do it because Apple might do it too?

Because Apple has shown that if you're not prepared, you're gonna get ran over no matter how big you are. Companies are afraid of Apple breaking new ground yet again, so they're going to be aggressive at every possible opportunity.

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
Except that Google has been in development of Google Glass before the iWatch was even rumored. So perhaps it is Apple following the leader again. [...] I'm sure the fanboys though will try to rewrite history again like usual.

Apple is really not a first-to-market company. Never has been. Even with the original Apple I/II, or the Lisa and Macintosh, they entered an already-existing computer scene and introduced products that were better designed and more intuitive. iPod? There were already many mp3 players on the market. iPhone? The Treo and Blackberry smartphones had been out for years already. iPad? Bill Gates had already tried his best to launch the tablet market, and failed. So from history's perspective you seem to be the one trying to rewrite it.

What Apple does is disrupt existing markets. They don't care to be first, they want to be the best. And by "best" I mean products that take technology and humanize them. Treat hardware and software as a holistic, unified product. Ask questions that no one else is asking, and then figure out ways to answer them with elegant solutions. They don't always succeed in that goal, but their track record is pretty damn good.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
Google is due for a huge fall. Their share price makes no sense at all. But for some reason even with Apples huge drop and their more than doubling in share price they still have not come within 50 billion of Apple. And the in the time frame you mention Apple will have a all new iPhone. If they were going to pass them they should have already.

Did you notice what the last two new iPhones (5 & 5S) did to Apple shares? Two more new iPhones and the price may drop to $300.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
Would this explain why apple is the most profitable tech companie now?

I am not sure that this statement is correct. In 2013, Samsung had much higher gross profit: 84B $US vs 64B $US for Apple. Apple's net income was higher though in part because of very low taxes but that's another story.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
You probably think that other companies started producing MP3 players only because they knew that Apple would soon release iPod, right? Have you ever though that maybe it's Apple that copies other company products?

So wait...!! What you are saying here is that, when and if Apple does release the iWatch or whatever they may call it, on which am sure they been working for quite few years, it has to be a copy of ..... let's say one of these many Galaxy Gear stuff that Samsung has been working on the last few months?? Yeah man, that has to be it :rolleyes:

Apple doesn't just create a new hardware product overnight!!! It works on it for years before you even see it (but that does not stop people from hearing about it). For every single new product that Apple have brought on the last decade, rumors have existed long before you have seen it. And to me and you this iWatch thing may be just a rumor but for big tech companies out there who are in the game is just as real as the air you breath!! I believe you are naive if you think Apple competitors like Samsung have no idea what Apple is working on and react to it accordingly.

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012

Trajectories aren't linear with markets. Apple earned more than 3x what Google earned last quarter and has more than 3x more cash on hand. Wall Street is just being its irrational self and in a few months you'll undoubtedly see the pendulum swing back in Apple's favor once the iPhone and other mystery product rumor gets into full swing, and Google will likely see a major correction.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
So wait...!! What you are saying here is that, when and if Apple does release the iWatch or whatever they may call it, on which am sure they been working for quite few years, it has to be a copy of ..... let's say one of these many Galaxy Gear stuff that Samsung has been working on the last few months?? Yeah man, that has to be it :rolleyes:

Apple doesn't just create a new hardware product overnight!!! It works on it for years before you even see it (but that does not stop people from hearing about it). For every single new product that Apple have brought on the last decade, rumors have existed long before you have seen it. And to me and you this iWatch thing may be just a rumor but for big tech companies out there who are in the game is just as real as the air you breath!! I believe you are naive if you think Apple competitors like Samsung have no idea what Apple is working on and react to it accordingly.

It is wrong saying that Apple copies because is later to the party and it is also naive thinking that every ****ing company release their products thinking what Apple would do

Last edited:

ricosuave

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2007
In front of my mac
Trajectories aren't linear with markets. Apple earned more than 3x what Google earned last quarter and has more than 3x more cash on hand. Wall Street is just being its irrational self and in a few months you'll undoubtedly see the pendulum swing back in Apple's favor once the iPhone and other mystery product rumor gets into full swing, and Google will likely see a major correction.

This correction is coming. I expect Apple with strong fundamentals to weather the storm.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/stock-caution-urged-as-margin-debt-levels-hit-new-highs-2014-03-09

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010

My question would be whether you think Google's valuation is in fact sensible. That should first be established prior to doing a direct comparison.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
At least Google are actually trying to get it right before bringing something to market. Unlike Samsung who are ready to release any old, completely untested, rubbish and cross their fingers that it sells. Then release a 2nd generation 2 months later.

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
The more I see other companies try to preemptively one-up the iWatch rumors, the more convinced I become that the rumors were spread intentionally by Apple as a feint to throw the competition off their tracks and that something completely out of left field is coming. If we really do see a watch-like device from Apple, I suspect it's going to be something completely re-imagined from the ground up and won't be anything like what we're seeing from others. Personally, I'm becoming convinced that there really isn't an iWatch at all, just the rumors keeping the competition busy.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
I believe you are naive if you think Apple competitors like Samsung have no idea what Apple is working on and react to it accordingly.

Actually, I believe, particularly in Samsung's case, that the genuinely don't have a clue what Apple are going to do and are simply going on the rumours the rest of us go on and 'panic' release products. To me, it's clear to see the Samsung watch was made purely to be released before the iWatch just so Samsung can go "naa naa naa, we released one first"...in a childish playground sort of way. No doubt the Galaxy Gear 3rd generation will be released very shortly after the iWatch and be remarkable similar.

MacSince1990

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2009
I'm not really sure how a "full" version of iOS gives an iWatch any benefit other than bloating the distribution. The iWatch should be significantly different enough from the existing iOS ecosystem to warrant a different, slimmed down and tailored release that helps iWatch be the best at what it is.

This crossed my mind as well. iWatch OS should be to iOS as iOS is to Mac OS X.

It's a bit confounding that after Apple's idea leaked, they're now coming out behind Google. A shame they leaked in the first place.. they could have had more than a year's head start and snapped up all the market share while Google etc. scrambled to make a similar watch and probably put out an inferior product. Oh well.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
This crossed my mind as well. iWatch OS should be to iOS as iOS is to Mac OS X.

It's a bit confounding that after Apple's idea leaked, they're now coming out behind Google. A shame they leaked in the first place.. they could have had more than a year's head start and snapped up all the market share while Google etc. scrambled to make a similar watch and probably put out an inferior product. Oh well.

When did Apple leaked anything?

By the way, how is Google copying when they bought WIMM in 2012?

SockRolid

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2010
Almost Rock Solid
... Google executive Sundar Pichai announced today that the company will be releasing an Android software development kit (SDK) for wearable devices ...

What a coincidence! Samsung has announced that the company will be releasing Gear 2 in a few weeks. And Gear 2 will run Tizen instead of Android.

Samsung is gradually moving away from Android. Switching Gear to Tizen is the first step. It's the only way Samsung will be able to control their own destiny (in the mobile technology arena).

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
I'm excited to see what Google does here. Glass isn't personally for me, and I don't have my hopes up that anything super polished will come out of this release or any Android wearable attempt in the near future, but Google Now really seems like the perfect kind of service for a wearable. It's begging for a smartwatch implementation.

Hey, I hope they do something cool.

I am not sure about the Google Now (or Siri) integration in a wearable device that sits on your wrist. To do so would be like the dick Tracy watch where you need to bring it up to your face to speak into the device. That is neither intuitive nor natural. I hope that if/when Apple produces their device they come up with something better than this - otherwise this will give a whol new meaning to the phrase "talk to the hand."

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
2014 = the year the Next Platform War (wearables) began

(... or are wearables just a new form-factor, not really a new platform?)

The wearables if done right will be a new platform. Your phone or tablet can't measure your heartrate, blood pressure or glucose levels. If they approach this from the health angle it'll be a totally new platform. If they do what Samsung did with Gear, it'll be a new form factor only.

----------

Even if it was linear, it'd take several years for Google to overtake Apple's market cap. And it's never linear.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.