Google Under Fire for Circumvention of Cookie Settings in Safari for iOS to Track Users

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 17, 2012.

1. thenerdal macrumors 65816

No, I'm just not biased. What Google did is bad, yeah, but Apple does it too. They can track you.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/04/21/the-iphone-tracking-fiasco-and-what-you-can-do-about-it/

And don't say that Google sells data, because they don't. It's in their TOS. If they did, they'd be in trouble with the government quick, which hasn't happen.

2. rusty2192 macrumors 6502a

Actually, I believe this is the headline I saw on NBC news this morning. So Apple is getting bashed by at least some of the press.

3. dethmaShine macrumors 68000

Yeah, I caught you. :D

Just go through your post history once again. That might remind you how much of Google defender you really are. But mostly, an apple critic for almost everything. It's not that hard to understand.

----------

Again talking about Apple... pointless.

4. samcraig macrumors P6

I don't have to go through my post history. Did you not just read my explanation? I have more of a vested interest in Apple tech because most of what I own (and until last week - ALL that I owned really tech wise) is Apple.

And this is an Apple message board. I should go be critical elsewhere?

Sorry - I'm not here to always/sometimes/never praise Apple. Nor am I here to always/sometimes/never defend Google.

I post my thoughts and commentary based on how I feel and what I think about the topic at hand.

5. thenerdal macrumors 65816

How is it pointless? I'm stating that Apple also can track you like Google can, which is why people shouldn't be mad at Google when Apple does it too.

I may sound like I'm defending Google, but I only post on these forums to correct misinformed people, which will make me sound like a "fanboy"

6. Will do good macrumors 6502a

Will do good

Class action

I love to join a class action against Google.

Google is acting no difference than slimy News Corp in UK.

7. 808? macrumors 6502a

What about AAPL shareholders?

8. dethmaShine macrumors 68000

People should be mad at every company that does these kinds of things. It's irrelevant whether it was Google or not. People went crazy when location gate came into picture. Apple got the heat even though Android had it too.

It's not about comparing -- Apple did this... so XYZ company can do it. It's ridiculously stupid talking like a that and sounding like a kid. No company should play with user privacy and security.

That's why its pointless discussing with you. You don't even understand the matter and trying to relate it with Apple and somehow defending Google. No company should be spared for such actions; is all I'm saying.

Nobody's misinformed. You're trying to swing it in a way it doesn't matter because some other company did that too. Stop being a kid already.

----------

It absolutely doesn't look like. You're always moaning about something that Apple did or has done or is going to do. It does send a clear message but whatever.

9. Joe-Diver macrumors 6502

Joe-Diver

The why did you immediately stop the practice once it was discovered??

Because it's wrong, you know it's wrong, and you got caught.

Bad move Google.

10. JAT macrumors 603

Fine.
    Seriously, not even ONE applies?! I'm sure you could find one that was similar, if it existed.

11. sillypooh macrumors regular

sillypooh

No cookie means no cookie! That Google would go to great length to track users through shady hacks and circumvent my privacy settings is unacceptable.

12. thenerdal macrumors 65816

I agree with you a bit. I was just using Apple as an example since there are a majority of Apple followers on this forum.

I only criticize Apple a bit because I love tech. I do that to every company. For example. The iPhone should have a bigger screen. Android should have hardware acceleration, which it does in ICS, I believe. The iPad should have a different UI, etc.

13. JAT macrumors 603

You do have a point. No doubt a fix will be in the next Safari update.

But as mentioned, bugs exist everywhere in software. Tell companies about them, that's the solution.

14. paul4339 macrumors 65816

yes, and they didn't make a change until they were exposed by a Stanford grad... So what about all they stuff that hasn't been exposed yet?

15. JAT macrumors 603

I hope you don't watch Person of Interest.

16. FloatingBones macrumors 65816

FloatingBones

:)

Apologies to the Yahoos. :D

17. thenerdal macrumors 65816

Yes. the last one. They get your location, which is what tracking is....

18. nsayer macrumors 6502a

nsayer

And this is why I prefer Apple products to Google's freebies. I buy things from Apple. Our relationship is a direct vendor-buyer relationship. Apple's continued ability to keep me (and millions more like me) happy has a direct pecuniary impact on them.

Google gives stuff away for free that it uses to shove ads in front of me. I am not their customer. I am the product being sold. It the very quintessence of foolishness to believe that they're not going to do everything and anything to increase my value to their customers, whether it benefits me or not.

----------

Cui bono?

Google sells add impressions and information about its users to third parties. Apple sells products and services to its users.

If you don't immediately see how the same actions by both companies should be viewed differently, then you're a fool.

19. gotluck macrumors 603

gotluck

yes, you do have a point but regardless - apple tracks us too. remember location services?

20. hexor macrumors 6502

This year I changed my default search engine to Bing in Safari. I no longer wished to support Google in any way. I do switch to Google search when Bing doesn't give me what I need but at least 90% of my searches take place on Bing now.

21. nsayer macrumors 6502a

nsayer

What is the most evil thing you can consider Apple might have done with that information that is still consistent with their basic business plan? If you change "Apple" to "Google," then you get a far, far different answer.

----------

The only benefit I see to doing so is that you've switched to a slightly dumber group of evil people.

22. gotluck macrumors 603

gotluck

Well, it sounds like you dont like the web search business. Apple doesnt participate in that business so they get the moral high ground i suppose. Personally, apples profit margin / lack of affordability / upgradeability (ie. greed imo) is what keeps me on pc for desktop purposes. Any alternatives to google do the same thing. Maybe not identical to this particular circumstance, but web search is a highly 'tracked' sector.

23. jonnysods macrumors 603

jonnysods

Man, Google are wading into some deep public privacy issues lately eh?

24. SockRolid macrumors 68000

SockRolid

25. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

google is great lots of "FREE" services..This is why they don't cost money

Quick let me go out and get an Android phone too :rolleyes: