Google Voice and iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by macswitcha2, Jul 21, 2009.

1. macswitcha2 macrumors 65816

Ok, interested in Google Voice (GV) and wondering how it works with my current number. I got an invite and so I'm told to pick a number, does that mean that my current number will be obsolete?

2. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

RTFM. http://www.google.com/support/voice/

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

no

what it means is that the google voice number will ring your phone as well as your cell number

give the google number to people you dont want to have your locked in cell number as you can always rerout the google number to another phone

I wish i could have more than one google voice number routed to my phone though

is the RTFM really necessary?

4. vinay427 macrumors 6502a

vinay427

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/7A341)

Nope. It just forwards to it so it's like you have two numbers. It's useful cause it can forward to multiple numbers like home and cell so you just have one "universal" number.

5. angle macrumors regular

If you have to ask, you really shouldn't be using it. Read up first, THEN look into it. Trust me, this isn't meant to be rude, it's meant to help you understand the service.

6. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

its free and hes asking so its clear he wants to learn about it

why you have to be hostile?

7. macswitcha2 thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah, I am asking questions which is part of learning. Thanks for the responses. Is it necessary to have because I only have one phone and one number? Either or, I like the features and is it true that I can record conversations?

8. Greenhoe macrumors regular

I just got invited into Google Voice last week and it is really nice, although I honestly have no need for the service. I only use my cell phone and there is no need to tell everyone a new number, although they may allow you to import your current number as your google voice number in the future which would be great since you can record your calls, send free SMS and access your voicemail online.

9. macswitcha2 thread starter macrumors 65816

Ok, I read through the features on google voice but I have a question that is not answered there. I am trying to block someone from using my initial att number so I can give them my new number. Is this possible?

10. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

11. jrock2004 macrumors 6502

Maybe not the right thread for this but could someone give me an invite to google voice?

12. megamanbnmaster macrumors 6502

google.com/voice

Go apply for an invite there. It isn't like gmail where you can hand out invites.

Am I the only one waiting for a push app so I can stop paying for texting? (google voice has unlimited text)

13. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

its nice texting from your computer too ;)

14. techiegirl macrumors 6502a

techiegirl

I have Google Voice and use it on my iPhone. I gave my GV # out when I don't want people to know my cell phone #. The call still forwards to my cell phone, but at least I can block the call. I also use GV to make international calls on my cell phone. It's a lot cheaper than AT&T's international rates.

15. lpj8 macrumors member

I also use google voice to route different incoming calls to different phones. When my wife calls me, it rings my work and cell numbers...when my colleagues call it just rings at my work. I also give that number out to people in which I'd rather they not have my cell number.

You can SMS text out to other numbers for free, but when people reply there is a standard incoming text charge when it's forwarded to your phone. You can always turn forwarding off, but then it's useless for me.

I'm waiting for an App with push text notifications without the text being forwarded to your cell. That would be great.

16. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I've had my Google Voice number for about two weeks now, and it's like having a VM number that you give out to people and they can call it and you'll be located by iPhone, work phone or home phone...:cool::cool::cool:

17. lemonademaker macrumors 6502a

lemonademaker

In a Van Down By The River! Metro Detroit!
    I've had GV since it was Grand Central a couple of years ago... another nice thing is that i give the number out at Trade Shows and Sign Up sheets, when they ask for a phone number.. this way it's easy to avoid when someone like Walgreens Photo, Video store, Banks or the DMV sell your number to telemarketers... this way they don't call home or cell

great service, very versatile .....

i recently got a second GV number, I just have to figure out how to use it now.....

18. manueld macrumors 6502

I've been forwarding calls i don't want to answer to google voice by following these steps:

For all the cool kids with both iPhones (or any GSM-based phone) and a Google Voice (previously GrandCentral) account, forward your unanswered calls to Google Voice to receive the voicemail and a transcript in your email account.

Step 1:
    On you iPhone (or any GSM-based phone), pull up the keypad and type the following, substituting 1234567890 with your 10-digit Google Voice/GrandCentral account:
    *61*1234567890#

Step 2:

That’s it. All unanswered calls to your iPhone will instantly be dropped in to your Google Voice voicemail.

To restore your iPhone to the original visual voicemail settings, pull up the keypad and enter:
    ##61#

Your settings will be restored.

The nice thing with this option is if you want them to leave you a message on your visual voicemail, all you have to do is hit the decline button and it will go to your regular voicemail. If you just let it ring through or hit the top button on your iphone to silence the ring/vibrate it will forward over to your google voicemail.

I LOATHE having to listen to voicemail and their speech to text translator (which i have forwarding to send me a transcript as a txt message) is nice so i can just read the message they left. That and the translations can be hilarious.

19. serialtoon macrumors 6502a

serialtoon

Im the same way. Maybe when i had my Android phone i would have been more excited, but with VVM on the iPhone and all...i find it useless. Although i do seem to get some spam in my voicemail box on GV. :-/

20. FearNo1 macrumors 6502a

So its basically a call forwarding service... I wonder if google plans to add more functions to it.

21. lemonademaker macrumors 6502a

lemonademaker

In a Van Down By The River! Metro Detroit!
    Thanks that's good to know... I'm waiting for my iPhone to arrive.... have you messed with GV mobile app? (it's a free app to call out of the iphone via your Goggle Voice number, so your GV number shows up on the caller id and not your iphone nuber)

22. chipno macrumors newbie

I recently just got Google Voice and am using it with my iPhone. Now my iPhone is my only number as well but I really like the features and use it for a few main reasons.

First, my cell number is an out of state number where I'm currently living. I didn't want to change my number and go through the hassell of getting everyone my new number but I did want a local number to use. So I picked a local number for my GV number to solve that problem.

Second, being able to set up different voicemail greetings for different people or groups is really nice. I can have a voicemail greeting for coworkers and then a more casual one for friends and family.

And third, the call screening features. I'm able to give my GV number to anyone who I don't want to be able to reach me too easily. I can go to the settings and make it so that unrecognized numbers go through a screening process. And once they do, I still have the option of either answering or sending to voicemail.

So those are just a few of the ways I use it. But there are man other great features and I enjoy it.

23. techiegirl macrumors 6502a

techiegirl

GV Mobile is great. The premium version also includes voice mail that looks a lot like iPhone's visual VM.

24. christyn macrumors 6502a

You have to go to the GV website and put your email address in, and they'll send you an invite at some point.. When it was grand central, we were able to send out invites, but I don't think users have that ability now.

GV is great.
    And the voicecentral app is awesome.
    Although I mostly use the app so an easy way to make cheap international calls (home to canada)

25. tjp888 macrumors regular

tjp888

By the way, there's a handy Google Voice app available. It's called GV Mobile. It's not free, but it does allow quick access to your GV account.