Google Voice anyone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by elephunkman, Jun 17, 2010.

1. elephunkman macrumors 65816

Thought I'd do a favor to future iPhone owners and switchers. I have 2 invites left.

2. scwinsett macrumors 6502a

scwinsett

How?

I got Google Voice about a week ago... where are my invites? How did you find them? With Google Wave it was easy but I cant find it on voice

3. elephunkman thread starter macrumors 65816

When you log in, on the left hand side you should see a little link that says, "Invite a friend (3 left)

4. Resist macrumors 68030

I recently received an invite, but am still confuse what GV is or what it can do for me.

5. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

If you still have them left, could you shoot me one of them? I've been looking for these for a while and have come up empty. If you have one and could PM it to me, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

BL.

6. elephunkman thread starter macrumors 65816

Basically, you can sign up for a GV number and you can give that number out to people and when they call it, it forwards to the number you want it forwarded to. Very convenient when you don't want people knowing your real number or to hand it out to strangers. You can block calls, ask GV to screen callers before you pick up, and you can also text from the application online too!

7. DataRiff macrumors member

DataRiff

No No No Don't Do It!

I've had Google voice for quite a long time and HATED it... First of all, it disables your visual voicemail, it's transcriptions are awful, and the text messages are often times delayed or not sent at all. I've had LOTS of trouble with it. I had to call AT&T in order to get my visual voicemail back... The only thing I still use it for is to get free outgoing calls on my landline, since it technically calls you and then the call you are placing is billed as incoming (free for me at least).

Be careful with Google Voice, it leaves much to be desired...

8. elephunkman thread starter macrumors 65816

I need an email to send it to. PM me that bud!

9. elephunkman thread starter macrumors 65816

Just trying to provide a nice gesture to some people. But, sorry it didn't work out for ya.

10. db2431 macrumors regular

sure ill take an invite, thanks :)

11. smitzzz24 macrumors member

I'd love to have an invite if still available. Thanks in advance!!!

Chris

12. Resist macrumors 68030

Not really sure why giving out your real number is such a big issue. But it seems like if you give out the Google number then those people have a number to contact you anyway. Can you change this number often or something?

I already have call blocking and screening, so this feature is of no more use to me. And I could care less about texting through it, as I already have a text plan for my cell phone.

I am still not getting the big advantage to using Google Voice.

13. DataRiff macrumors member

DataRiff

I understand :)

I know lots of people who love it, I could just never get into it (tried for about 6 months!).

Anyways, I've got invites too if ya'll want them!

14. iadam09 macrumors regular

You can change your google voice number for $10 USD. I like it because I can text people world-wide for free and not worry about spending my minutes when I call people because I added my google voice number to my A-list. :)

15. daitalianjob macrumors regular

16. kokesh macrumors regular

Pretty much just the ability to block calls (which you already have). Not sure of the other features that iPhone users would want, except maybe the forwarding. So if someone calls your Google Voice number, it rings all your phones (mobile, home, work). Not really useful to me.

I just got it today so that I could send SMS from work, where I have 0 signal from my iPhone.

And to answer your question about number changing, you can change it for a fee of $10, though I'm not sure what would prevent you from inviting yourself to Google Voice and just signing up again with a new number for free. Maybe they only let you have one Google Voice account linked to your real phone number, I'm not sure.

17. elephunkman thread starter macrumors 65816

Everyone can use GV to their own advantage. Screening unknown callers is a big plus for me and texting from my pc is sometimes convenient when AT&T service sucks in my house. :p

18. tasslehawf macrumors 6502

I was using it, as it worked well on my nexus one.

When I switched back to my iphone 2g, I jailbroke and was running the app, but rather than phone calls routing correctly to it, they were going into a black hole. So I shut it off. I really like the transcripts features, but it's not much good when people can't leave voicemails.

19. elephunkman thread starter macrumors 65816

20. Ljohnson72 macrumors 6502a

Ljohnson72

I love Google Voice. I mostly use it for the texting to save some $ but having voicemails available to listen online is great as well and use my Google Voice # for things like Craigslist.

21. elephunkman thread starter macrumors 65816

craigslist is a biggie for me!

22. skyehill macrumors 6502

One huge advantage is texting all you want without having to pay ATTs idiotic 20 dollar fee.

23. ajsnow6234 macrumors 6502

Texting is a big advantage with GV for me. Since I can't have my phone in the vault I work in...I use GV. It's just easier than emailing to another persons text/phone

24. Resist macrumors 68030

Don't all phones already screen unknown callers, through caller ID and answering machines?

25. Resist macrumors 68030

I already use the Textfree Unlimited app for my iPhone, so I don't pay AT&T anything for sending or receiving text.