Google Voice/Google Talk

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by FearNo1, Jul 30, 2009.

1. FearNo1 macrumors 6502a

I got the invite for google voice and set it up to work with my cell. Now with google talk app, what all does it allow you to do? From my understanding, if you launch the app and call someone it will use the caller id info of your google voice account. Any other functionality google talk bring?

2. kicko macrumors 65816

google voice give you your own phone number and you can have that number forwarded to as many other phone lines as you wish. They can all ring at once, so no matter where you are you get the call. You can also have it only ring certain phones when certain contacts call. (boss only will ring you "work" phone or family will only forward to your cell phone)

The other cool thing is thta it will transcribe your voice mails so you can read them or listen to them .

3. muledogus macrumors 6502

Google Talk is Googles chat system, no?

I know VoiceCentral and GV Mobile had a dialer and an SMS feature, they basically tracked your calls and voicemails and texts from the web. They would dial out and send SMS from your GV number but didn't have too many other features. I'm assuming Google's version of a voice app was going to be pretty similar but I'm sure have more functionality.

Edit: and if you haven't read it anywhere yet, all Google Voice related apps have been pulled from the appstore. You can get GV Mobile on Cydia though if you're JB'd.

4. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

These are separate services. Google Talk is an instant messenger with voice support. Google Voice is a phone routing service.

5. FearNo1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Do u know why google voice was removed? apple gimping iphone again?? I noticed that google did not mention iphone support, just android and BB

6. FearNo1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Google talk also has routing capabilities.

7. christyn macrumors 6502a

Has a lot more to do with AT&T than it does Apple..

8. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

In what way?

9. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

10. FearNo1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

So it was at+t behind the removing of google voice app?

11. FearNo1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Google Talks can route calls to cell, land line, etc.

12. FearNo1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

True but the GV app is more convenient. Any one knows why it was removed from app store?

13. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

I don't think so, but maybe I missed something. Do you have a link?

14. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

The only actual confirmed information is that it was removed for "duplicating functionality". Consensus seems to be that AT&T refused to allow it for competitive reasons.

15. FearNo1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hmm, because it allows for cheaper international calls? Because you can't make local calls with google voice...right? I wonder if at+t did not remove google voice app for black berry phones?

16. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

You can make local calls with Google Voice. It just doesn't save you any money because you are only being charged for airtime anyway. (For most cell phone users.)

It also let's you give out one number that you can route to various phones. So you can route calls to your work number during the day to save cell phone minutes.

Also, it makes it easier to switch carriers without the hassle of number portability.

AT&T doesn't have the same control over the Blackberry apps that it does with iPhone apps. That came up during the Slingplayer controversy.

17. christyn macrumors 6502a

18. wonderbread57 macrumors 6502

If it was att then why can't i download GV on to my ipod touch?

If it was att then why did apple reject opera for "duplicate functionality"?

Imagine if windows prevented firefox from being installed due to "dupelicate functionality". Slippery slope, Apple better not be taking this road.

19. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

What's your point? It was AT&T. See the evidence in the previous post. Apple pre-approved the official Google Voice app, and it was rejected as well.

Microsoft has been found to be an abusive monopolist in a court of law. Different rules apply.

That said, it is an extremely cowardly move by AT&T to insist these applications be rejected.

20. FearNo1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Aye..I did not think of that..

It is pretty lame that at+t has so much control over what is done on the iphone. I have been deciding on which phone to get between the iphone and g2. It looks like the g2 is much less restrictive than the iphone... :mad:

21. wonderbread57 macrumors 6502

I don't buy that it was just AT&T but it is so stupid for AT&T to reject these types of apps because it actually would help get them contracts if apps like GV were on the iPhone because these types of things get people excited about the iPhone, people who don't yet have one. So instead of letting these apps draw more customers, AT&T puts people off with their controlling innovation squashing practices. So what GV offers free SMS? People don't want to pay for SMS anymore on a smartphone and if they buy an iPhone plan they pay up the butt for the data plan anyway so just attract people to the iPhone with it's high price data plan and forget about completely maximizing your iPhone SMS margins. God damn I hate these backwards assed companies.

22. BNZ1 macrumors regular

Doubt it. They would offer it in other App stores if that was the case. Although GV technically doesnt work for non us users at the moment.

23. FearNo1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I wholeheartedly agree. It is as if they are encouraging ppl to jailbreak the iphone. If I decide to get one, yet another reason to JB it. The google talk/voice app add some nice functionality to iphone.

24. brn2prgrm macrumors member

Any chance that someone has an extra invite that they could send my way for Google Voice?

mikeds@gmail.com