Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iBluetooth

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2016
"Google built the Pixel 4a out of plastic, so when it comes quality, the ‌iPhone SE‌'s glass and aluminum design wins out. It looks and feels like a more premium smartphone, though plastic is less likely to break when dropped."

The plastic actually means that the Pixel is more likely to break, than the iPhone aluminum design! And what is more likely is that the Pixel is more likely to land on its screen as now the front (glass) is heavier.

• Disagree
Reactions: M3gatron

edgonzalez32

Suspended
Jul 21, 2011
both are great phones. For the budget minded consumer, can’t really go wrong with either tbh. Typical consumer isn’t going to care who has the better camera or CPU. Just comes down to do you want android or iOS? Really interested to see what the pixel 5 winds up becoming.
[automerge]1596664424[/automerge]
again and again and again. Google does not sell „your data“. They put you in a bucket of interests etc that companies can target. For example you may look up fish tanks a lot so you get ads for fish food but it’s not like google is handing „your data“ to companies. It’s not gonna be like „Mr XY Living in Street XY. Do you want to buy his data?

literally any postal service is worse cuz they actually do sell your data
It’s not worth explaining this to anyone here. Nobody takes the time to understand how googles ad system works.

AudiA4

macrumors regular
May 6, 2002
Little Rock, AR
For Apple to be selling a phone with giant bezels/tiny screen like this in 2020 would be like them trying to peddle a "new" iMac with giant bezels that hasn't changed in nine years, I mean seriously!!! Oh...wait...

p.s. ...but seriously, I'm a huge Apple fan, and if I were buying an entry level phone, the Google display is an absolute difference maker...the iPhone SE looks straight out of 2014.

sdf

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2004
When it comes to battery life, the Pixel 4a has a 3,140mAh battery while the iPhone SE has a 1,821mAh, so the Pixel 4a lasts a good bit longer.

That's…

That's not how this works.

At all.

If testing bears out that the 4a lasts longer, that's fine. It lasts longer. But battery capacity doesn't translate to run time between different models, let alone entirely different manufacturers. A phone with a 2,000 mAh battery could easily outlast one with a 3,000 mAh battery if the phone with the 2,000 mAh battery drew less power!

Reactions: lolrepeatlol

sideshowuniqueuser

macrumors 68020
Mar 20, 2016
I don't understand the "OS lock-in" argument. I do use MBP and iPhone, but there's nothing about either of them that lock me into to sticking with the iPhone. If anything, the need to use iTunes to download apps to the phone is a major pain in the butt. The only thing locked in about that is that it's locked in to the annoying walled garden stupidity. I put up with it because of the predictable quality of an iPhone, rather than the random guess of wondering if anything other than the flagship models will work properly and not slow down horrendously after a short time of use, which is what happened the first and last time I tried to own an Android, and had to return it two weeks later due to taking 5s to load my text messages each time.

• Disagree
Reactions: verpeiler

spotlight07

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2007
I just want a small flagship iPhone, with no compromises for the size. Also I love that rainbow Pixel background, very retro Apple / Pride. Will have to see if I can find that for my iPhone.

Reactions: Macs fan 88

az431

Suspended
Sep 13, 2008
Portland, OR
again and again and again. Google does not sell „your data“. They put you in a bucket of interests etc that companies can target. For example you may look up fish tanks a lot so you get ads for fish food but it’s not like google is handing „your data“ to companies. It’s not gonna be like „Mr XY Living in Street XY. Do you want to buy his data?

literally any postal service is worse cuz they actually do sell your data

Yeah NOTHING AT ALL wrong with Google's privacy policies

And the post office does not "sell your data."

• Disagree
Reactions: mistasopz

bodonnell202

macrumors 68020
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
For most people it basically comes down to ecosystem. Most who would be interested in the iPhone SE probably don’t know or care about the Pixel 4a. For people who like Android the Pixel 4a is a great inexpensive phone.

Apple and Google made different trade offs when hitting a lower price point here. Apple prioritized performance and premium materials but mostly recycled an older iPhone with older screen tech (i.e. they put an A13 in the iPhone 8 and called it a day). Google has a bigger better screen and a more up to date design that minimizes bezels, but uses a mid range processor and a plastic body (and skips either an ip rating or wireless charging).

The 4a will get at least 3 years of software updates, whereas the SE should get around 5 years, and maybe more.

Craptastic

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2020
If you buy Apple Care you can get you phone replace same day in under an hour at the Apple Store if you can show that the damage isn't cosmetic caused by you... i.e. you dropped you phone. True story... I was in Hong Kong one year my iPhone battery died my phone was from North America they replaced it an the Hong Kong Apple Store. Can Google match that?

This is a false narrative and is simply because of your one time experience. Apple Care extends your coverage and gives you 2 incidents of physical damage. If the device can be repaired, it will be. Liquid damage and rear glass cracks are automatic replacements with incident fees. Simply saying “my phone has a problem I’d like a new one because I have Apple Care” will likely make your technician NOT swap your phone.

Sounds like your phone had a power issue. A power test was ran, and determined the device will not power on, and was swapped for you.

nicmart

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2012
In passing....dropped plastic is less likely to break. It's strange that durability is not considered a primary value by the reviewer. It certainly is by consumers.

Reactions: PC_tech

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Pixel 4a
+ modern design vs rehash
+ better hardware future proofing with 6GB DRAM and 128GB base storage vs iPhone SE 3GB/64GB
+ 1080p OLED vs iPhone SE 750p LCD
+ Night Mode vs none
+ Built in Titan M 2FA security key
+ better smarts and more advance features like Duplex AI, live transcription, split screen multitasking, etc.
+ longer battery life

Last edited:

coolfactor

macrumors 603
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Arrived at a new bank today, with a lineup outside. The process was to scan a QR code that takes you to a website where you enter your information, and then text messages arrive telling you what your position is in line and when you can proceed to the next teller. This was a sweet tech-driven experience!

On my iPhone, the process was smooth and quick. No hoops to jump through, since the camera scans QR codes automatically.

The Android guy behind me fumbled around, and eventually they had to do a "manual" method of entering the guy into the lineup.

Hardware-wise, both of these phones are decent. Software-wise, nothing beats iOS in pure elegance and simplicity. iOS has continued to set the bar that Android reaches for.

coolfactor

macrumors 603
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
The Pixel is $50 cheaper, and it comes with the added benefit of having Google looking over your shoulder at everything you do with it.

Wait, did I say "benefit"?

Yes, this is something consumers continue to overlook. I always open private browsing windows, unless the site I'm at needs a cookie that's been stored, such as my banking. But I was still noticing ads following me around, and then it dawned on me.... my VPN IP address is static... so Google has attached that IP address to my browsing profile and can still track me. Smart cookies, them is.

For me, Apple's privacy focus is the major benefit.

Reactions: ksgant
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.