Got a 17" at local Apple Retail Today

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bbadalucco, Feb 24, 2009.

1. bbadalucco macrumors 6502

So, I just dropped into the local apple store to get something and they ended up having a 17" MBP in stock.

I decided that I'd take it as I didn't want to wait a few weeks by ordering one.

The specs are as follows:
    4gb
    5400 hdd
    Glossy

Here is my question:
    I wanted a 2.93 processor but went with the 2.66 as i thought it would be more than enough, what are your thoughts given the following apps that I use.

ical
    iwork
    safari
    Microsoft Vista via VM Fusion - will a 2.66 suffice for this?

I plan on getting the G Skill Titan SSD

Let me know...thanks

2. semitry macrumors member

You're fine, 2.66 is probably overkill for what you do.

3. kremer4 macrumors member

So it's safe to say they didn't have a 2.93 in stock at your store. If you don't mind me asking, what state/country did you visit the apple store.

4. 212rikanmofo macrumors 65816

5. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

I'm sure iCal won't tax your system too much...

6. bbadalucco thread starter macrumors 6502

I live in Omaha, Nebraska. They didn't have any on display. I asked someone if they had any in becuase I was curious to see the GL vs Matte displays, a manager overheard me and said they had one which had just came in. It was the stock version.

7. darngooddesign macrumors G3

With those requirements the MacBook would have met your needs. You'll be fine.

8. vote4anh macrumors newbie

9. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

You dont even need a Macbook Pro, a standard Macbook or Macbook Air will do more than fine for you, even they would be overkill. However if you like the 17" screen its up to you, i guess its your money. Id rather have a Macbook Air and 40" external display if i was in your position.

10. bbadalucco thread starter macrumors 6502

I like the 17" for the size and resolution, which is why i decided on this one. I just want VM Fusion to run as smooth as possible for school...so thats why I was wondering.

Thanks

11. Sir Cecil macrumors 6502a

I bought one at the San Francisco Apple Store (Stockton Street) about an hour ago.
    About to unbox it in the next ten minutes... exciting!

12. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

13. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Not entirely a valid reason. I run VMWare Fusion just the same on my MacBook as I do on my MacBook Pro. Same settings, same resolution. If fact, the Vista on my MacBook runs faster then the one in my MacBook Pro for some reason.

14. isethx macrumors regular

15. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

You can run a normal Macbook in 1920 x 1200 i.e. 17" Unibody Full HD? like the OP is talking about in his post?

16. Next Tuesday macrumors 6502a

Next Tuesday

Are the retail stores going to carry the 2.93 version?

17. HoosierInFL macrumors regular

No. I found out the hard way. Local store told me over the phone that they had them in stock. Cancelled my online order, went to store, and was told they will never carry the 2.9. Now I have to reorder from scratch.

18. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

you need vmware running a virtual machine at 1920x1200? lol.. I normally run vmware in windowed mode, especially on my 17" because i have a lot of room. I run full screen on the macbook due to the lack of room. 1280x800 for both.

19. Repo macrumors 6502a

Repo

Who cares whether the OP's reasons are "valid." It's not your money.

Suggestion: VM software is such a hog. From experience, I find bootcamp to be a more logical solution and less system intensive, that is, if you formatted it in FAT32. If you didn't, stick with your VM. If it is in FAT32, just use your OSX to transfer files in between your partition, and boot into Windows whenever you need it for school. How many times do you need both OSs at once?

20. percival504 macrumors regular

I've gone to extremes to get VMs running smoothly

I don't know why -- but VMs are just horrible (of course the fact that I stream audio and run 10-15 of application @ a time, Guest and Host together, could have something to do with it), so I understand the OP. My rig currently consists of an X25-E boot drive, 4 (yes 4) 320GB WD Scorpio Black(s) -- striped (they are in 2 Addonics Dual Portable Raid enclosures, software striped and interfaced through a Sonnet Sata Tempo Pro expresscard/34 which maxes out at 200 read and write). The Scorpio Blacks are formatted in ZFS and are fast -- but still not fast enough. The sequential is there but the iops aren't mind-blowing.

I sold my 17" 4,1 2.6 for what I paid for it and I'm impatiently waiting for my 2.93 (8GB). Everyone's expectations differ and if you (the OP) are like me, fast is never fast enough. If Mac Pro(s) were portable (or affordable enough) to have 2 -- and no my current set up is not as expensive as 2 Mac Pro(s) -- I'd have a Mac Pro @ the office and 1 @ home. Good luck OP.

21. duffyanneal macrumors 6502a

duffyanneal

You are my hero. :D

22. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Having a virtual machine isn't a transfer of files issue. Its more of applications/programs issue. I run a virtual machine of my boot camp because of the software I use for school. I also have a linux and a 2nd windows virtual machine for work/testing purposes.

23. Repo macrumors 6502a

Repo

Obviously you have a very unique working situation.

For me, all I do is boot into Windows, use the program I need, then boot back into OSX, and transfer the files I made (if I even need to).

The reason I point this out is to enlighten those who don't know, that you can transfer files between OSs, and it isn't a requirement to get a VM, for that sole purpose.

24. brentsg macrumors 68040

I need both OS' at once all day long. I use Outlook and the other various Office apps in VM, and everything else in OSX. I don't think that is terribly unusual.

25. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

this thread made me laugh. no offense but when i saw the list of "apps" i couldnt help it.

just get an ipod touch!