Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Got a brand new 13" MacBook Air? Did you get the faster Samsung or the slower Toshiba

• I have the Toshiba TS128C

Votes: 34 29.6%
  • I have the Samsung SM128C

Votes: 57 49.6%
  • I have a different one altogether

Votes: 24 20.9%

• Total voters

Crunch

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2008
Crazy L.A.
For those who think this poll, or subject for that matter, is unnecessary or insignificant, I have included a few websites, randomly pulled from Google below. Personally, I've been using SSD's since Intel made its first 80GB "consumer" several years back when they were still over $500 for 80 gigs of solid state goodness. Having tried a LOT of various SSD's, I can tell you that there is indeed a difference, but it does depend on what you do with your computer.

In this particular instance, boot and shutdown times are affected by the supposed "instant on" MacBook Air. I also move bigger files around frequently enough to notice the almost 100MB/s difference in one benchmark that I've come across since I started reading about this on the day after the new Air's were released.

I am NOT saying that everyone should go take their Air's back to the store and exchange them, hoping for one with a Samsung SSD, as the difference for many will indeed be negligible. The fact that I ended up with a Toshiba drive does irk me a little bit, though, because in my experience with SSD's of the 1.8" and 2.5" kind, Toshiba were also consistently the least impressive.

As for what I'll do with mine, I think I just figured out my solution. As the SSD's in the new MacBook Air models are still replaceable, and since the new Air's support SATA III (6Gbps), I'll get one with a SandForce controller, which appear to be the fastest ones available right now and upgrading the drive to 256GB (or at least to around 180GB or so) is usually always more economical than getting a higher capacity one from Apple.

http://technolog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/04/18/6488390-some-apple-macbook-airs-contain-faster-ssds

http://www.iwebsnacks.com/2011/04/apple-using-samsung-ssds-in-macbook-air/

http://www.powerpage.org/2011/04/18...rriving-with-faster-blade-solid-state-drives/

Stangs55

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2007
The Lone Star State
Just got back from Best Buy with a 13" 256 that was pulled off the Best Buy truck this afternoon.

I've got a Toshiba SSD. How do I tell what display I have?

As for the Samsung vs Toshiba...if this was my primary PC, then I'd be pissed. But my MBA (like every apple product I own), is essentially a email/internet machine and nothing more. My desktop is where the heavy lifting is done, so I don't really care about benchmarks on my laptop.

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2009
Geez, you guys are impatient! I do have a real job you know... :p

Mine.

Hers.

I've been working with both of these machines literally side by side for three days straight, loading software, testing, mucking around.

Guys, there is no difference, not that a mere mortal can tell. Trust me. :D

How are boot times on both? Does the Samsung one boot any faster from cold start.

bp1000

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2011
How are boot times on both? Does the Samsung one boot any faster from cold start.

No, doesn't boot any faster

Someone compared both in a test, the Toshiba booted quicker by about 1/2 second to a second.

The next the tables could be reversed. There is no difference.

Geetarpicker

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2011
I first bought the Ultimate 11" and got both a Toshiba SSD and screen. I then decided for my use the 11" was just going to be too cramped so I swapped it out for the 13". Then I got yet another Toshiba SSD, but a Samsung screen. Not a win win situation, but at least I am happy I moved to the 13".

Just didn't get very lucky with the SSD but they are replaceble right?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.