Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Popped to my local three store with the intention of walking out with a HTC One or Galaxy S4 but I was immediately drawn to this thing.

img2013080.jpg

Not far off of a Nexus 7 in size it certainly isn't for everyone and moderately specced it isn't the fastest of handsets on paper but initial impressions are very good. Not a fan of TouchWiz so I've opted for Nova Launcher Prime and already changed some things (stock Google keyboard/Chrome beta) and its feeling rather nexusish.

photo1wzw.jpg

I'm very likely not going to need my Nexus 7 now seeing as the difference in size is minimal but we'll have to see what happens once my money starts burning a hole in my pocket when the new Nexus 7 hits in the UK.

screen seems fine, battery is almost as big as my iPhone 4. :eek:

img201zyz.jpg

Any questions on it, please send them my way and I'll respond here.

Only initial flaw (rather big for some) is that app storage is only left with just over 4gb thanks to all the bloat. :( No ability to send apps to the SD card (unlike the S4) is a bummer too but I hope that Samsung pushes out a similar update to the Mega.

Screen is good considering the size and won't be an issue for me.

Like I said above, any questions in it, fire away below. :D

nepalisherpa

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2011
USA
Not far off of a Nexus 7 in size it certainly isn't for everyone and moderately specced it isn't the fastest of handsets on paper but initial impressions are very good. Not a fan of TouchWiz so I've opted for Nova Launcher Prime and already changed some things (stock Google keyboard/Chrome beta) and its feeling rather nexusish.

No kidding! :eek: Enjoy your new device! :)

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
I'm a large man (1.8 metres/6 feet 2 inches tall). I pocketed my iPad mini fine so this wont be an issue. :D

Took my first call on it from my dad just note and it doesn't feel at all natural against the face (aligning the earpiece took some getting used to) :p

I don't vice call much at all thankfully but I'm sure I'll get some funny like when I'm out on it.

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
that thing is massive for a phone....but obviously the people that get this don't really use it for a phone.

I'd definitely take something like this over a Nexus 7 as it's super portable.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
I'd like to know about that screen.

If you're a pixel purist then the PPI will disappoint at 233 PPI but I've coped with the iPad mini and Nexus 7 for so long it isn't a issue for me.

Colour reproduction and viewing angles are very good as is brightness.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Seems good so far.

Tried Riptide 2 briefly and it runs perfectly. Will see if anything I do throw at it slows to a crawl but nothing has thus far.

A quick screenshot of NYTimes to show the amount of a page is visible on Chrome.
screenpqp.png

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Seems good so far.

Tried Riptide 2 briefly and it runs perfectly. Will see if anything I do throw at it slows to a crawl but nothing has thus far.

A quick screenshot of NYTimes to show the amount of a page is visible on Chrome.

Ahh so it was you knocking people over in lakeside

TheHateMachine

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2012
Popped to my local three store with the intention of walking out with a HTC One or Galaxy S4 but I was immediately drawn to this thing.

I'm very likely not going to need my Nexus 7 now seeing as the difference in size is minimal but we'll have to see what happens once my money starts burning a hole in my pocket when the new Nexus 7 hits in the UK.

screen seems fine, battery is almost as big as my iPhone 4. :eek:

Any questions on it, please send them my way and I'll respond here.

Only initial flaw (rather big for some) is that app storage is only left with just over 4gb thanks to all the bloat. :( No ability to send apps to the SD card (unlike the S4) is a bummer too but I hope that Samsung pushes out a similar update to the Mega.

Screen is good considering the size and won't be an issue for me.

Like I said above, any questions in it, fire away below. :D

I'm an inch shorter than you and by the pictures of your hands they, much like mine, look like huge bear paws. I doubt I will ever see a Mega in the states but sometimes I feel as if my Note 2 is too small. Colour me envious.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
If you're a pixel purist then the PPI will disappoint at 233 PPI but I've coped with the iPad mini and Nexus 7 for so long it isn't a issue for me.

Colour reproduction and viewing angles are very good as is brightness.

Good to know that the colors and viewing angles are good.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
I'm an inch shorter than you and by the pictures of your hands they, much like mine, look like huge bear paws. I doubt I will ever see a Mega in the states but sometimes I feel as if my Note 2 is too small. Colour me envious.

It is comfortable I'm my big man hands.
screenzkz.png

A friend of mine asked me how it looks in the hand so I took that above.

TheHateMachine

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2012
It is comfortable I'm my big man hands.

A friend of mine asked me how it looks in the hand so I took that above.

Too bad you cannot take a comparison shot of a Note 2 and a Mega.

EDIT... Found this. Which I didn't know there were two Megas...

6cf60__galaxy-mega-6.3-galaxy-mega-5.8-galaxy-note-2-galaxy-s4-1.jpg

and this...

samsung-galaxy-mega-handson-review-14-640x424.jpg

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
My one is the larger 6.3 inch one. It wasn't until someone pointed it out to me that I knew there was a smaller model.

Glass I got the larger one though.:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.